View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 100 - Monday

Rate this Entry
I had a restless sleep last night. I periodically get very hot during the night and have a hard time getting to sleep and last night was one of those nights. I was tired when I woke up but felt fine after I got up and moving.

I had a physical for insurance at work so had to limit my food intake(they asked that I fast but thats impossible if I swim and I was not giving up a practice today). I felt great in the water and my shoulder felt the best its felt in quite some time. I still plan on setting up an appointment with the orthopedic doctor though just to get it checked out.

Main set
400 free with snorkel
6x50 catchup on :45

Main sets
10x300 pull on 3:30
100 easy
4x200 kick on 3:30

Warm down
8x50 drill on 1min

Total 5000scy

I really tried relaxing during the 300s and descended from 3:10 to 3:05 over the course of the set. I am trying to work on my turns and streamline off the wall. In particular I am trying to not breath with my first stroke off the wall so that I stay streamlined longer and hopefully gain a little speed on my turns(which again I am reminded are plentiful in scy as compared to LCM). I felt great on the 200s kick and was out in 1:25's and back in 1:27s on all 4. I have not felt this easy on a kick set in quite some time.

I will practice at our pool tomorrow and then I am heading to Detroit with work for the rest of the week. I will be swimming with Skip Thompson at the Dearbourn, MI, outdoor pool like I did earlier in the summer. It was fun then and I am looking forward to swimming LCM again.

Submit "Week 100 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 100 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 100 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 100 - Monday" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Gosh, I haven't been in a lcm pool all summer. I refuse to pay the one Y 10 bucks to swim in theirs. There is a LCM workout on some nights but I have to wait around in this part of the region til 8 and that is 10 bucks now. Plus, the pool is way too shallow in. If only I could find someplace where I can swim LCM everyday, I would be content. Sometimes, I feel that all you do in yards in flipturns or turns. Whatever happen to just swimming.

10 x 300 on 3:30. I am in pain just reading that set.
    Stewart, I get hot at about 2am pretty regularly and at times have a hard time getting back to sleep. One thing that helps is to sit on the sink with my feet under cold water for a minute or two. It generally helps to cool off more quickly and curl back up. Sucks, doesn't it?

Great set! Sounds really tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Gosh, I haven't been in a lcm pool all summer.... I feel that all you do in yards in flipturns or turns. Whatever happen to just swimming...
    Agree! After training in the 49-yd pool all summer I am really not looking forward to scy every day again. Too much turning and not enough swimming! I especially like the long pool for freestyle. I can really get a nice rhythm and it feels so smooth.

As for 300s on 3:30, Stewart is in a different league than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Agree! After training in the 49-yd pool all summer I am really not looking forward to scy every day again. Too much turning and not enough swimming! I especially like the long pool for freestyle. I can really get a nice rhythm and it feels so smooth.
    I am so happy that it is short course season again and I can swim indoors! ha!

Stewart, when we moved, I had a small AC unit attached to the wall in my bedroom so that I can have the temp very low in that room without running up a huge bill for the whole house. I set it at 63 and love it. I can't sleep at all when it's warm, and I know my tempurpedic mattress makes it even warmer. Those things are toasty.
    I love LCM and for me there is no comparison between scy and LCM. After seeing Forts fly at nationals in 2012 I can 100% understand why she would love scy; it is the perfect distance to highlight her strengths with starts , kick, underwater and turns. For me I have non of those and LCM works better for me.

Thanks for for all the advice with my hot flashes. My wife claimed I am having a mid life change and I should get used to it. I don't recall this happening when I was younger. I have started playing with the AC to lower the temp and I like the idea of the dipping my feet in cold water however I suspect I will wake my wife up and the hot flashes are easier to handle than an upset wife!

i think I am starting to dream swimming again. My wife claims I am kicking and twitching which usually means I am dreaming of racing. I have been excited at the prospect of racing in the next age group and have been thinking a lot recently about this, so perhaps this is the route cause of my hot flashes in the night. I don't know if I am winning the races in my dreams because I don't tend to remember them. I hope I am at least winning in my sleep!!!