100 scull
4 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Main sets:

10 x 25 burst belly SDK + cruise @ :45
100 EZ

20 x 25 dolphin kick to 15 m on belly @ 100 pace, cruise in @:45
200 EZ

-- At this point, I began to get sick of dolphin kicking. And started fretting about what overuse issues might arise from an excess of it ...

8 x 200 kick w/fins @ 3:00-3:15
-- done as 175 moderate + :5 rest + 25 fast
-- I felt a little shin splinty on the first couple after putting on the fins, but after that it was fine.
odds = flutter kick w/board
evens = backstroke kick
150 EZ

20 x 25 dolphin kick w/board & fins @ 100 pace :40
-- held 12 flat or faster
-- gave myself an extra :5 since this was at the end of practice, but probably shouldn't have ... it didn't seem very difficult
100 EZ

Total: 4150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My shoulder already feels a tad better on the kicking only/ibuprofen regimen. I saw the doc today. I definitely have tendonitis, but the weakness in the shoulder made them think that possibly the RC was involved. I have an MRI next Thursday. I really don't think it's a tear, but who knows.

I assigned a 30 x 25 @ 100 pace USRPT set tonight to my team. I was slightly worried about their reaction, but they all seemed to enjoy it.

Submit "Friday, Aug. 29" to Digg Submit "Friday, Aug. 29" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Aug. 29" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Aug. 29" to Google

Updated August 30th, 2014 at 04:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

3600 yesterday and 4150 today. Who are you and what have you done with The Fortress?
    Quote Originally Posted by dhmartin
    3600 yesterday and 4150 today. Who are you and what have you done with The Fortress?
    Ha! Even when doing strictly HIT, I sometimes get to 3500 or so because I do so much recovery swimming. It just didn't seem very satisfying to do a low yardage kick workout ... I also did read in swimswam recently that high volume kick sets can contribute to kick speed. I would never try that approach with swimming, but my kicking seems pretty fast lately. No worries, when I can do full stroke swimming, I will be back to my usual ways.

When you are doing USRPT, do you do the full 30 x 25 or some lesser version of that?
    Lesser--just 10x25 at most--and it's not formally USRPT, because I don't incorporate the failure aspect that Rushall insists upon. You probably know he also deems kick sets mostly worthless. Historically a big proponent of kick sets, I dropped them the past year and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.
    ... Historically a big proponent of kick sets, I dropped them the past year and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.
    I didn't "drop" kick sets this past season, but I did a lot less kicking than in the past 2 years. While I don't think it hurt my top speed, I do think it negatively impacted my ability to do multiple events in a short time period.
    Lesser--just 10x25 at most--and it's not formally USRPT, because I don't incorporate the failure aspect that Rushall insists upon. You probably know he also deems kick sets mostly worthless. Historically a big proponent of kick sets, I dropped them the past year and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.
    Ah good, I am usually doing less than 30 as well. I'm not sure his rigorous guidelines really apply to masters our age anyway.

I know he deems kick sets worthless. I do notice that Andrew's kick and SDK are the worst part of his races though ... And, I am a kicker, so fully intend to keep doing my kick sets. With bicep tendonitis, I don't have much choice for awhile. I wonder if dropping kick sets doesn't have an immediate impact, but might have a cumulative effect over time? As an analogy, when I dropped weights (which Rushall also disdains) for 8+ months last year, it didn't have an immediate impact. But at the end of that period, I was having trouble finishing my races and had better swims after going back to lifting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I didn't "drop" kick sets this past season, but I did a lot less kicking than in the past 2 years. While I don't think it hurt my top speed, I do think it negatively impacted my ability to do multiple events in a short time period.
    Yes, I've always felt, intuitively, that investing in kicking helps you close races and not die over multiple races.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Ah good, I am usually doing less than 30 as well. I'm not sure his rigorous guidelines really apply to masters our age anyway.

I know he deems kick sets worthless. I do notice that Andrew's kick and SDK are the worst part of his races though ... And, I am a kicker, so fully intend to keep doing my kick sets. With bicep tendonitis, I don't have much choice for awhile. I wonder if dropping kick sets doesn't have an immediate impact, but might have a cumulative effect over time? As an analogy, when I dropped weights (which Rushall also disdains) for 8+ months last year, it didn't have an immediate impact. But at the end of that period, I was having trouble finishing my races and had better swims after going back to lifting.
    I think that's probably right. I wouldn't want to go multiple seasons without lifting or kicking.
    I think that's probably right. I wouldn't want to go multiple seasons without lifting or kicking.
    I read somewhere recently (maybe Swimming World?) that Andrew Seliskar (couple years older than Andrews) does 30 x 25 burst SDK almost every practice. He has killer SDKs in short course. The fact that it's a kick set doesn't negate the neural patterning effect, IMO.
    Updated August 31st, 2014 at 10:59 AM by The Fortress