View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Western hemisphere acclimatization complete

Rate this Entry
by , October 2nd, 2014 at 08:20 PM (36 Views)
Last week was a rough one as I think it took me until Monday (29th)before I felt like I had re-acclimatized to the time zone in Arizona. On top of the severe jet lag since my return from India on the 21st, I came down with a mild (but still VERY annoying) head cold of sorts last Thursday and that didn't break until my swim on Monday - thanks, wonder-drug Chlorine

This past weekend ended up being a bit of a bust when it came to swimming for my family. We had two Masters events scheduled for the weekend - an SCM meet at Kino on Saturday and our first ever State Masters OW champs scheduled for Sunday. As my youngest daughter had a meet scheduled for both days, she and I compromised and agreed that she would swim one day and I'd swim the other. We chose Saturday for her meet and for me to do the OW on Sunday.

As she's recently turned 11, she chose Saturday, in part, because she'd have the opportunity to swim her first ever 400 IM (I've been brainwashing her!). The meet started off great as she dropped time in her 100 breast and then swam her first-ever 200 back. She enjoyed the 200 back so much that she said she was getting more excited for the 400 IM. Her coach had put all of her friends in the IM and the kids had this cool mix of excited resignation, fear and machismo as they talked about it. There was a 2.5 hour wait after the 200 back before the 400 IM.

... and then the thunderstorms that have helped make the greater Phoenix area a darling of the national "crazy weather" news this summer rolled in. There was literally one heat of boys 10 & under 200 IMs to be swum before my daughter was to race her 400 IM ... and the meet was paused for a lightning delay. After 30 more minutes, it was clear the storm was here to stay and the meet was called!

That same rain storm, unfortunately, then contributed to the OW swim being cancelled for Sunday morning as the City of Tempe requires a re-test of the water for safety 24 hours after an accumulation of more than 0.2 inches. I was more bummed for my daughter than for my missed swim (as I'm not in any shape to race). The silver lining is that we're working on re-scheduling the OW event for later this month ... and maybe I'll be able to race some portion of it!

While I know I'm not exactly starting from ground zero, it feels that way. It also feels like I'm too far behind the 8 ball in my training to make anything substantive of the SCM season, were I to focus on my usual events. Outside of the possible re-scheduled OW swim, it looks like the only meet I'll be able to swim is the Ron Johnson meet (http://azlmsc.org/wp-content/uploads...ohnson2014.pdf), coming up in a very short 6 weeks. So, I've decided I'll be a breaststroker for the next 6 weeks and have entered the following events, with a few extra events thrown in because it is a flat, entry fee
  • Saturday
    • 50 breast
    • 100 breast
    • 50 free - won't swim this unless there's lots of heats of 100 back
    • 100 back - I realized that I still haven't swum a non-bodysuit 100 SCM back in my Masters career!

• ​Sunday
    • 50 fly
    • 400 free - though my plan is to swim this breaststroke to see how I stack up against the Aussies (their National record in SCM is 5:51.59)
    • 200 breast
    • 100 free

As for my training, rather than put in a grand plan, I'm going to try to do the following:
  • Alternate swim days as
    • Day 1 = sprint day, primary focus on breaststroke or non-freestyle
    • Day 2 = 30 minutes of drills/kicking

• On drilling/kicking days, alternate dryland exercises and yoga class by day

My times thus far this week are not worth mentioning, but I felt pretty good this morning in my yoga class and look forward to jumping in the pool later this evening for the drills/kicking.

I'll try to pick back up with regular workout reporting tomorrow.

Submit "Western hemisphere acclimatization complete" to Digg Submit "Western hemisphere acclimatization complete" to del.icio.us Submit "Western hemisphere acclimatization complete" to StumbleUpon Submit "Western hemisphere acclimatization complete" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

I was more bummed for my daughter than for my missed swim
    Hey, she got to swim the 200 back, which is even more cool than the 400 IM

400 free - though my plan is to swim this breaststroke to see how I stack up against the Aussies (their National record in SCM is 5:51.59)
    I will be looking forward to reading about that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Hey, she got to swim the 200 back, which is even more cool than the 400 IM
    I value your perspective, even though it's well known that the 200 back is the 5th best event after the 400 IM, 500 free, 200 fly and 200 IM