View RSS Feed

After a long rest

USAS North Texas Division 2 Level 3 Meet

Rate this Entry
First it's weird now how these meets are named. They used to be so and so meet but now they have this division level business. Anyhow today I had a USAS meet at my home pool in Rockwall. My daughter swam both days in the afternoon and I decided to just do the one session this morning where I signed up for the 200 back and the 500 free. I did not realize how fast the meet would run and it seemed like I had no rest after the 200 back before the 500 free. In reality I probably had an hour, but it did not feel like it. Despite being very stiff and sore from yesterday I had a great meet and I was very pleased with how I swam.

200 back - 2:02.39 splits 28.73, 31.17, 31.61, 30.88.
500 free - 5:01.26 splits 27.0, 30.4, 30.7, 30.5, 30.6, 30.4, 30.4, 30.3, 30.5, 30.1

The 200 back was 4 seconds faster than I swam last season and to the best of my knowledge is a life time best(I never swam this in college). I have yet to swim this event rested and shaved.

I had optimistically hoped to go under 5mins on the 500 but alas I was just off. What was most exciting about both swims was the consistancy in my splits. This is a great time for this early in the season and I will take a lot of confidence from this swim going forward.

My my daughter had an awesome day too, with big drops in her 200 back(8 seconds) and her 500 free(42 seconds). She dropped time on every event today which was exciting to see.

Submit "USAS North Texas Division 2 Level 3 Meet" to Digg Submit "USAS North Texas Division 2 Level 3 Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "USAS North Texas Division 2 Level 3 Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "USAS North Texas Division 2 Level 3 Meet" to Google

Updated October 5th, 2014 at 07:06 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Stewart, those are both great times. The splits were great, as you said. That 200 back is VERY good - you would've been 2nd at Nationals last spring, with only Josh Davis ahead of you (1:56).

Looking ahead, I just noticed the order of events at Nationals - http://www.usms.org/comp/meetevents....0150423SANATSY. This meet you just did would be a great "reverse test run" if you want to do both of these at Nationals ... and you'd have a lot more rest between events at Nationals.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Stewart, those are both great times. The splits were great, as you said. That 200 back is VERY good - you would've been 2nd at Nationals last spring, with only Josh Davis ahead of you (1:56).

Looking ahead, I just noticed the order of events at Nationals - http://www.usms.org/comp/meetevents....0150423SANATSY. This meet you just did would be a great "reverse test run" if you want to do both of these at Nationals ... and you'd have a lot more rest between events at Nationals.
    Thanks Patrick. Obviously Spring Nationals are a long way out but I am going to include backstroke in my event line up this fall and see where I am at Christmas. I just registered for spms in December and will try to swim all 3 backstroke events at that meet along with the 100,200 and 400 free.

I am doing a kids meet in a few weeks and will be swimming the 100 fly and plan on doing a 200 fly this season(I never ever thought I would do this one). I also plan on doing some IM work and I will try both a 200 and 400 IM before Nationals. The event order at Nationals throws up some interesting possibilities.

It's somewhat liberating to try new things and as others have said that's one of the beauties of masters swimming.
    Fantastic splitting in both races Stewart! Sounds like a great day for both Carrolls. It will be interesting to see what events you pick for San Antonio. 'lots of places where you can do damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I just registered for spms in December and will try to swim all 3 backstroke events at that meet along with the 100,200 and 400 free.
    Very cool. I am going to try to see if I can swim the 200 IM and 200 back on the Friday of that meet. I enjoyed the pool last year when I raced there; the extra warmup lanes are a little crowded, but I think it's a very good racing pool and it always draws a great, competitive field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Fantastic splitting in both races Stewart! Sounds like a great day for both Carrolls. It will be interesting to see what events you pick for San Antonio. 'lots of places where you can do damage.
    Thanks Karl. it was a fun day for both of us. My wife on the other hand despite supporting us both has never really been a big swimming fan and was a trooper this weekend.

The program in San Antonio does allow for some interesting combinations of swims and I plan on having fun between now and registration testing out some new events. It's going to be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very cool. I am going to try to see if I can swim the 200 IM and 200 back on the Friday of that meet. I enjoyed the pool last year when I raced there; the extra warmup lanes are a little crowded, but I think it's a very good racing pool and it always draws a great, competitive field.
    Let's stay in touch as it gets closer to the meet and see if we can coordinate schedules. It's likely one of my teammates will be swimming it too. I recall your meet wrap up last year and you said it was a good meet. I looked at previous meet times and it's unquestionably a fast meet so should be a lot of good fun racing.
    the order at San Antonio is bad for this breastroker/freestyler. UGH. SPMA is much better but I'm hoping NE Champs offer a good schedule as it's much closer.
    Stewart, great to catch up and read about what you are doing. I am very frustrated with the new level meets and locations. It seems I have to go to a crappy pool in Lewisville for A meets. Since I am on DM and division 2, we don't get to go to Rockwall or Mansfield hardly at all. I won't go if I don't like the pool, so I am not swimming much USA this fall. I may unattach if it allows me to go to other division meets....
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    the order at San Antonio is bad for this breastroker/freestyler. UGH. SPMA is much better but I'm hoping NE Champs offer a good schedule as it's much closer.
    Yeah that order is really tough, almost always back to back. One interesting possibility is to do the 500 free at Nationals since there is a big gap to the 100 breast. You would likely have to give up the 50 free.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Stewart, great to catch up and read about what you are doing. I am very frustrated with the new level meets and locations. It seems I have to go to a crappy pool in Lewisville for A meets. Since I am on DM and division 2, we don't get to go to Rockwall or Mansfield hardly at all. I won't go if I don't like the pool, so I am not swimming much USA this fall. I may unattach if it allows me to go to other division meets....
    yes it does suck and I feel your frustration. I believe Mark Glass swims USAS meets unattached so he can cherry pick meets rather than limiting himself to the events within a division.