View RSS Feed

After a long rest

SPMS scm meet - Day 1

Rate this Entry
I arrived in LA at around 7pm (9pm central and way past my bed time) thursday night and then sat on the I105 east for about 1.5 hours. Despite LA being a fun city, traffic totally sucks 24/7 and reaffirms that it's not the place for yours truly. When I finally arrived at my hotel I was caught in the dilemma of eating or not. I decided to grab food at the hotel and choose pasta which is always a safe choice ahead of a meet. I finally got to bed around 10pm(midnight central) which is closer to my normal wake up call than my go to bed time. I woke around 6:30am pacific after a good night of sleep and felt good. Stephanie Stone who swims with us from time to time, and I headed over to the pool together for a warmup swim. Again I felt good. After the warmup we headed back to the hotel where I ate, shaved down and even grabbed a short power nap.

We had a little bit of a worry around 12:30pm when we heard the meet was running an hour ahead of schedule. When we got to the pool it was ahead of schedule but the meet organizers said the meet would stick to the original timeline and there was a warmup between the 1500s and the 200 IMs which worked great.

My first race today was the 100free and I was in the fastest heat in lane 1. I had a really good start but messed up on both my turns at the bulkhead end of the pool. Neither was a complete stop by any stretch but both were softer than I would have hoped. My goal time was 53.99 and I ended up with a 54.3 which all things considered I was very happy with. I felt strong all the way.

My second race was about 45 minutes later which gave me time to warm down and prepare for the 200 back. I was in lane 8 in the fastest heat and as things turned out I was the outside burner. I have not raced much back and as such I have next to no expectations which may actually be the ideal way for me to swim. I was entered on my unrested LCM time from this past summer(2:25) and hoped I could go under 2:20. I ended up going 2:12 even with a challenge on the last two turns. This time I decided to wear clear goggles(I usually wear smoke) because it was getting dark. These worked great other than I forgot to put anti fog drops in the goggles and they got harder and harder to see out of as the race progressed. Even with this challenge I was absolutely shocked with this one and felt awesome. I know it's hard comparing lcm to scm but this was 13 seconds faster than my entry time and 8 seconds faster than I thought I would go.

A big thank you goes out to Patrick for his post on this meet last year. I read it and was really inspired to one day attend this meet. I am really glad I was able to make the meet and catchup with friends like Patrick and Kurt.

I have the 400 free and the 100 back today so I have another fun day in store. I am really digging doing the back thing and maybe I have found a new event or two for nationals.

Submit "SPMS scm meet - Day 1" to Digg Submit "SPMS scm meet - Day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "SPMS scm meet - Day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "SPMS scm meet - Day 1" to Google

Comments

Great to see you - keep swimming fast this weekend. I am still in awe of your 200 back. Yes, your 100 free was great, but that 200 back was exceptional.
    Great swims Stewart! looking forward to hearing about today's swims
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Great to see you - keep swimming fast this weekend. I am still in awe of your 200 back. Yes, your 100 free was great, but that 200 back was exceptional.
    Thanks so much Patrick. I had nothing really to go by on this one but I did not expect in my wildest dreams to go that quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Great swims Stewart! looking forward to hearing about today's swims
    Thanks Mark. It's a really fun meet and would highly recommend it.