View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Meet 12/13/14: 2014 New England SCM Championships

Rate this Entry
After a quiet summer and fall in the pool training, I came to the realization that I rather enjoy the opportunity to compete and decided to drop in on one of the three days of this annual December meet at the great facility at Boston University. Planning to just drive in the for the day, I signed up for four events knowing that the first would likely not start before noontime, allowing me to sleep in a little before heading out this morning for the big city around 7:30am. Here are some pictures (no filters) from the ride over the Green Mountains (about fifteen minutes from home) as we started our three hour trip):

I warmed up in the four scy lanes in the diving well of the pool after checking in for my events, logging my standard 1500 yards. No starts or sprints but that's ok. I waited for about an hour before getting in another 200y before my first event ...

100scm Back: 1:06.70 (33.04, 33.66). About a second off my fastest time a couple of years ago. I felt that I was slipping a bit on the second lap, so really tried to think about hand position on the last fifty. Solid time. Warmed down with 200y and sat down to wait for the relays and the afternoon's swims.

50scm Breast: 39.40. A personal best time by .18! Good start and turn with a fluid-feeling stroke. I've never been a fan of this stroke, but know that I need to keep working on it. I then did an easy 200y to relax before the ...

200scm Fly: 2:40.37 (34.33, 40.64 [1:14.98], 44.15, 41.24). Another PB by a just under 3 seconds! I did DPS fly for the first 175m, then swimming full stroke on the last length. With my lack of swimming I was struggling with the aerobic side of the 200, plus the thought behind the blocks that I always have ("why did I sign up for this?") After an easy 200y and a quick chat with my wife, I hopped in for another easy 100y before my final event ...

100scm Free: 59.78 (29.45, 30.33). I was happy to get under a minute and felt tanked. Again the lack of solid base training lead to me being very tired (and in turn, sloppy) for a sprint to end the meet. I capped off the day with and easy 400y, bringing my totals for the day to: 450scm + 2800yds.

So as I complete another day of competition, I am thinking that I will need to make training more consistent in the future especially for the meets that have multiple events over a number of days. I am also swimming with an extra 15 pounds over last year, so I'll need to commit to some tweaks in my nutrition as well to get my waist back in line. Overall, I am very satisfied with the meet, in particular the extra time spent with Lena talking about her trip to Germany and our family - twenty years ago we used to hop in the car and drive around and talk; it's nice to have opportunity to do that together again.

Submit "Meet 12/13/14: 2014 New England SCM Championships" to Digg Submit "Meet 12/13/14: 2014 New England SCM Championships" to del.icio.us Submit "Meet 12/13/14: 2014 New England SCM Championships" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meet 12/13/14: 2014 New England SCM Championships" to Google

Updated December 14th, 2014 at 01:31 AM by rxleakem

Tags: boston, bu scm
Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events , Open Water

Comments

Beautiful pictures of the route (and the pool). Looks like you had some good swims and a great time. Sometimes I find it more special to go to just one day of a multi-day event; it gives each race more importance.
    Great times! Especially that breaststroke!
    How was the crowd at the meet this year?
    Hey, looks like the "fast" showed up. Nice going! And you got all four strokes in, which is really cool. Hope you had a nice time in the city, too.

Glad to see you got some photos of that winter wonderland up on the hill. I've never seen trees so completely whited-out before. Really amazing especially with the sunlight and blue skies we had yesteday.
    That first photo looks like an Ansel Adams. Beautiful time of the year and amazing pictures. Great swimming! That 200 fly is a great time. I admire you for swimming it in the first place and to swim a great time as well. I am glad you had fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Beautiful pictures of the route (and the pool). Looks like you had some good swims and a great time. Sometimes I find it more special to go to just one day of a multi-day event; it gives each race more importance.
    Thanks, Patrick. I agree that being able to focus on a smaller number of events is beneficial, although I like the challenge of a full slate as well. Glad that your oldest is back home; I know that as a dad it is so great to have the family whole again.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Great times! Especially that breaststroke!
    How was the crowd at the meet this year?
    Thanks, Tim! I was just happy I didn't try to tackle the 200 breast again! There was a slightly smaller crowd this year, but the stands and deck were full. I missed running into the usual forumite crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregJS
    Hey, looks like the "fast" showed up. Nice going! And you got all four strokes in, which is really cool. Hope you had a nice time in the city, too.

Glad to see you got some photos of that winter wonderland up on the hill. I've never seen trees so completely whited-out before. Really amazing especially with the sunlight and blue skies we had yesteday.
    I always forget how wonderful it is up on the hill. A friend described the scene as "bluebird" which is pretty much right on. A round about way to doing an IM, but it got me out of swimming the 200 IM!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That first photo looks like an Ansel Adams. Beautiful time of the year and amazing pictures. Great swimming! That 200 fly is a great time. I admire you for swimming it in the first place and to swim a great time as well. I am glad you had fun!
    One of the things I love about this area is the sharp difference with all four seasons, and especially the wintertime scenes like the one following this last snowstorm. I'm also thankful for safe travel and the opportunity to hop in the water. Thanks!