View RSS Feed

From the Executive Director: U.S. Masters Swimming's Journey

100%

Rate this Entry
by , January 7th, 2015 at 01:50 PM (1309 Views)
“Dear Rob, I received a swim cap, bag tag and desk statue from USMS for my $100 contribution to the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation. By my math, you probably spent $30 on all this stuff (including postage). I expect when I make a donation that the contribution will go toward the cause and not be wasted like this.”

So went an email I received recently. This writer brings up a good point, one that other Swimming Saves Lives Foundation donors may have wondered about.

The good news is, 100 percent of donations to SSLF go to its core objectives: raising awareness and providing funding for adult learn-to-swim programs. Allow me to explain.

In 2010, we established the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation as a structured committee under the USMS nonprofit umbrella. By establishing SSLF as a committee under USMS, rather than a standalone nonprofit, we avoided the time consuming and expensive process to set up and maintain a nonprofit: monthly, quarterly, and annual tax filings, independent CPA firm audits, insurance, legal, seated board of directors, bylaws, etc. These processes are already in place for USMS as it was incorporated in 1978 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit.

This model allows USMS to absorb 100% of the costs to operate SSLF, which includes presenting donors with thank-you gifts and building the SSLF brand with bag tags, swim caps, and other items that can be displayed; as well as providing goggles, caps, and banners to program partners who are doing the core work: teaching adults to swim.

Thus, 100% of contributions made to SSLF go to a dedicated account for the benefit of SSLF. Our hope is that once adults learn to swim or improve their swimming skills, they’ll have the confidence and desire to continue swimming in a Masters Swimming program and experience the lifelong benefits of swimming.

Over the past two years, SSLF has awarded $110,000 in grants to more than 30 partners who are teaching adults to swim and providing opportunities for those adults to continue swimming once they learn. Each year the demand for grant support grows—the number of applications totaled more than 50 this past year.

The $110,000 provided was received from more than 6,000 USMS members who have generously made contributions to SSLF the past two years. If SSLF wasn’t under the USMS nonprofit umbrella, the costs to operate it as a standalone nonprofit would be so high that our ability to give and make a difference would be greatly diminished.

Experts have advised us that this model—SSLF under the USMS umbrella with USMS absorbing the costs—is the best strategy to make the greatest impact on our cause. Once SSLF reaches a base of about $2 million in its account, when it can potentially be self-sustaining, it would then make sense to review SSLF becoming a standalone nonprofit. As of January 1, 2015, the SSLF account has accumulated a balance of approximately $260,000.

There’s one other important point that should please donors and reinforce our support for SSLF: 100 percent of the USMS Board of Directors and 100 percent of the USMS National Office staff contributes to the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation.

Submit "100%" to Digg Submit "100%" to del.icio.us Submit "100%" to StumbleUpon Submit "100%" to Google

Updated January 7th, 2015 at 01:57 PM by Rob Butcher

Categories
Staff Blogs

Comments