View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sat.-Sun, Jan 10-11

Rate this Entry
Saturday: Drylands

Was at the gym for an hour. Stretched 20 minutes after.


Sunday:

I decided not to go to the Y meet. It would have been along drive, and I didn't see the point. Instead, I went for a swim and to yoga.

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:


500 various
100 scull
8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45
100 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 25, SDK @ 100 pace to 15m then cruise @ :45
100 EZ

16 x 25 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ :45
250 EZ

-- did a few backstroke starts, working on entry and then 50 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
extra 50 EZ

Total: 2550



I was home for about an hour and then went to the 75 minute vinyasa flow class. No need to stretch tonight.

I need to start thinking about my meet plan for the spring. The Albatross meet is not on the schedule yet, but I'm hoping it will be. I will swim at the Y league meet at the U of W Va on Jan. 25. At least there I can be assured of not crashing on the bottom on my backstroke start.

Submit "Sat.-Sun, Jan 10-11" to Digg Submit "Sat.-Sun, Jan 10-11" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat.-Sun, Jan 10-11" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat.-Sun, Jan 10-11" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Yoga

Comments

  1. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Are you able to make a nationals in San Antonio?
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Are you able to make a nationals in San Antonio?
    I could, but I'm not sure about making the trip. The pool looks great. My only hesitation is that it's outside. Swimming backstroke outside is not my forte, so I would have to do other events. It's two weeks after Zones and I've had good luck resting for ones and then re-resting for nationals before.
  3. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Swimming backstroke outside is not my forte, so I would have to do other events.
    Freestyle!
  4. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I could, but I'm not sure about making the trip. The pool looks great. My only hesitation is that it's outside. Swimming backstroke outside is not my forte, so I would have to do other events. It's two weeks after Zones and I've had good luck resting for ones and then re-resting for nationals before.
    thats my fear too but I did not have an issue on our medley relay at worlds so I am likely to do back in San antonio.

    I have a friend who I train with whose parents live near the pool and he swims there every time he goes to visit; he said it's awesome. Our kids did TAGS at Northside last March and said the weather sucked but the pool was awesome. Fingers crossed by late April the weather is a non issue.
  5. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    thats my fear too but I did not have an issue on our medley relay at worlds so I am likely to do back in San antonio.

    I have a friend who I train with whose parents live near the pool and he swims there every time he goes to visit; he said it's awesome. Our kids did TAGS at Northside last March and said the weather sucked but the pool was awesome. Fingers crossed by late April the weather is a non issue.
    I did hear that it could be ungodly hot there in late April ... That is also a consideration. Nationals is your target meet? I hear you're trying to recruit Mark/Water Rat.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Freestyle!
    Ny freestyle feels kinda ugly right now after months and months of neglect. I would definitely swim the 50 free. But the 100 free is my least favorite sprint event.
  7. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    You don't have to tell me that the 100 is not fun
  8. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Also, in my opinion, if you focused on freestyle technique for a season, you'd be really really fast.
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    You don't have to tell me that the 100 is not fun
    My 50 is all fast turnover windmill style. But that isn't sustainable for a 100.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Also, in my opinion, if you focused on freestyle technique for a season, you'd be really really fast.
    Perhaps. But I feel out of my element in freestyle. I'm not sure what I'd even focus on ...
  11. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Perhaps. But I feel out of my element in freestyle. I'm not sure what I'd even focus on ...
    For sprint freestyle, generally:

    - Body position. Stay flat, stretch out, and keep your shoulders high.
    - Hip rotation. You want a tight swiveling motion, and it should sync to your shoulder rotation.
    - Grip! This is the big one. Grab the water, pull backwards, and feel the pressure the whole time. Once you are done gripping with one arm, you should be ready to grip at the front with the next one.
    - Kick for support. Think about providing a platform for the aforementioned grip. Stay loose and don't let your kick dictate your tempo.
    - Watch Popov in this video a thousand times for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLx5nx856vM

    Maybe I should coach you
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    For sprint freestyle, generally:

    - Body position. Stay flat, stretch out, and keep your shoulders high.
    - Hip rotation. You want a tight swiveling motion, and it should sync to your shoulder rotation.
    - Grip! This is the big one. Grab the water, pull backwards, and feel the pressure the whole time. Once you are done gripping with one arm, you should be ready to grip at the front with the next one.
    - Kick for support. Think about providing a platform for the aforementioned grip. Stay loose and don't let your kick dictate your tempo.
    - Watch Popov in this video a thousand times for inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLx5nx856vM

    Maybe I should coach you
    I do think about grip, for sure. And I definitely need to improve my kick so that I'm not bouncing with my straight arm style.

    For virtually my entire masters career, I have swum alone with no feedback and experimented with developing my own style of training. It would be nice to have a coach at times. Or a training partner. I miss training sometimes with you and Pete.
    Updated January 13th, 2015 at 02:08 PM by The Fortress
  13. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I do think about grip, for sure. And I definitely need to improve my kick so that I'm not bouncing with my straight arm style.
    What do you figure the problem with your kick is?

    For virtually my entire masters career, I have swum alone with no feedback and experimented with developing my own style of training. It would be nice to have a coach at times. Or a training partner. I miss training sometimes with you and Pete.
    It's not quite the same, but I'd be happy to give you drills and focus cues based on video and/or subjective feedback, stroke count, etc.
  14. The Fortress's Avatar
    If only I could get someone to take video of me ...

    I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with my kick. When I watch the vid of my 50 free from nationals in 2012 when I set the NR, I had some strong leg drive. But the last time I swam 50 free, I was told I was bouncing somewhat and my kick lacked some oomph. There theoretically shouldn't be anything wrong with my kick; I have all the tools -- slightly hyperextended knees, floppy ankles, flexy hips. I just never really work on it. My chief preoccupation for years has been fly, back and SDK. When I did start to work more on breast, it improved. I suspect the same could be true of free. Still, though, I am really only interested in the 50 free.
  15. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    I was told I was bouncing somewhat and my kick lacked some oomph.
    I don't think you can tell anything about freestyle kick from above the water. People just look at how white the water is or how high it comes up. Some swimmers have a very powerful kick that doesn't produce a lot of noise, and others (like myself) actually have a weak kick that looks "big." As for bouncing, I prefer to put things in terms of platform and grip. Most actual freestyle technique flaws are problems with one of those two things, and the things people see (e.g. bouncing, splashing, the way your hands enter the water) are sometimes just irrelevant. Your bouncing is only a problem if it increases drag or reduces thrust.
    Updated January 13th, 2015 at 08:23 PM by Jazz Hands
  16. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I did hear that it could be ungodly hot there in late April ... That is also a consideration. Nationals is your target meet? I hear you're trying to recruit Mark/Water Rat.
    you know what they say about Texas weather....if you don't like it wait a day and it will change. It's normally nice that time of year but it could be hot. It's likely too late to be cold but you never know.

    I age up to 45-49 in a couple of weeks and Spring Nationals is my target meet. I am also going to do long course Nationals this summer. Mark and I are talking .
  17. aztimm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    It's normally nice that time of year but it could be hot. It's likely too late to be cold but you never know.
    I was in San Antonio in March of 2014 for work, and it was already disgustingly hot and humid. Well one day was crazy windy.
    I'd rather deal with the AZ desert weather.
  18. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I was in San Antonio in March of 2014 for work, and it was already disgustingly hot and humid. Well one day was crazy windy.
    I'd rather deal with the AZ desert weather.
    Yeah humidity is a race killer. Outdoor meets are frequently just not the best choice for a taper meet.
  19. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Your bouncing is only a problem if it increases drag or reduces thrust.
    True. And it is partly the nature of a a straight arm windmill stroke that there will be some bouncing. I've also noticed this with the way many are swimming 50 fly now -- very flat and there is a bit of jerking involved. See Sara Sjostrom's 50 fly LCM WR.
  20. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I age up to 45-49 in a couple of weeks and Spring Nationals is my target meet. I am also going to do long course Nationals this summer. Mark and I are talking .
    If you have some other fast guys on your team, you could have a potent relay!