View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wednesday, May 27

Rate this Entry
Short Run:

No time for a swim this am. I had the 4:30 am driving shift for Mini Fort's swim practice. Couldn't really fall back asleep until after I got Lil Fort to school. So only had time for a quicky 3.5 mile loop on the trail.

Then I went to get a deep tissue massage. Lordy, I was sore! My massage therapist said I have "swimmer's toe" because, when lying down, my toes are still in a natural "point" position.

LC Meet:

Sent in my entries for the Terrapin Cup LC meet on June 21 today. I entered:

50 back, 33.50
100 back, 1:14.50
50 fly, 31.75

These are very fast untapered times for me. In fact, I've never swum them untapered. Wolf Girl would be so proud. I just hope I don't end up in a wall lane, as I seem prone to do at mixed male-female meets.

Nutrition:

I am contemplating working on this area. I've always exercised, in part, so I can eat and drink whatever I want. I've never dieted, just eaten in a healthy fashion. So, I'm contemplating giving up chips (lol, my favorite evil addiction and not mine alone. ), bread, desserts, and late night snacks until Nats. Not going so far as to give up Pinot/Chard, , though I did read Susan Dawson Cook's excellent article in USMS Swimmer with interest. And the Cross Fit website proclaims that super healthy eating WILL enhance performance. In this regard, I have a friend who's been on a somewhat strict diet along the lines indicated above, who says he/she is slimmer and swimming faster than ever in practice.

Most people I know embarking on this endeavor keep a food log. Ugh, not really a fan of doing this. As I say, I'm just mulling it over. The hardest thing for me would be giving up late night snacks, as I'm always hungry late in the evening. And I don't like carrots much!!

Submit "Wednesday, May 27" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, May 27" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, May 27" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, May 27" to Google

Updated May 27th, 2009 at 03:05 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Running

Comments

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    With all the exercise you do, I really doubt you need to worry about your diet. Not only that, but you seem to run around for your kids. And I'm sure there's lots more that you do but don't even think about.

I try to reward myself with snacks periodically. I'll have a regular dessert about 1-2x/week, and maybe a little candy here or there. Otherwise, I generally eat pretty healthy, trying to balance in plenty of fruits and veggies. I don't eat red meat, and try to eat pasta in moderation (other than before a big event such as a marathon).

If you want to give up chips, but find it difficult, try switching to popcorn. I've done it, and it is rather easy. There's not as many kinds of popcorn, but they are generally more healthy than chips. I prefer to get the bag--open/eat, rather than pop it myself. It was pretty eye-opening comparing the nutritional panels of a bag of popcorn -v- chips side by side. I put some in a sandwich bag to bring to work, and mix in some garlic (I put garlic on almost everything).
    You should probably keep a log.

You know my recommendation. Hard to change a pattern of behavoir if you aren't sure what the pattern is so keep a log.

Looks like I'll see you at UMD. Now, do I tweak my seed times so I end up right next to you or not?????
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    With all the exercise you do, I really doubt you need to worry about your diet. Not only that, but you seem to run around for your kids. And I'm sure there's lots more that you do but don't even think about.

I try to reward myself with snacks periodically. I'll have a regular dessert about 1-2x/week, and maybe a little candy here or there. Otherwise, I generally eat pretty healthy, trying to balance in plenty of fruits and veggies. I don't eat red meat, and try to eat pasta in moderation (other than before a big event such as a marathon).

If you want to give up chips, but find it difficult, try switching to popcorn. I've done it, and it is rather easy. There's not as many kinds of popcorn, but they are generally more healthy than chips. I prefer to get the bag--open/eat, rather than pop it myself. It was pretty eye-opening comparing the nutritional panels of a bag of popcorn -v- chips side by side. I put some in a sandwich bag to bring to work, and mix in some garlic (I put garlic on almost everything).
    I'm not a popcorn person generally. Never even have it at the movies! Love garlic though.

I do fully intend to stick with Jazz's recommended 10% junk. I do eat pretty well. I just think I'm likely eating more than I need to. And how much does one really need to eat at 11:00 pm at night?

I'd also like to actually fit in the new tech suit I ordered. There is a paucity of sizes out there and I was forced to order one in a very small size.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You should probably keep a log.
    LOL.

Are you already gearing up the witty comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Looks like I'll see you at UMD. Now, do I tweak my seed times so I end up right next to you or not?????
    No! You shouldn't be going as slowly as me. Or you will open to charges of sandbagging.
    How can I be accused of sandbagging when I have never swam the 100 Fly LCM? Then again, chewing on your wake doesn't hold that much appeal for me either.
    I like this topic regardign nutrition. You are right, it will enchance performance. Did you read Garret Weber-Gale blog? He mentioned that how much his performance improved when his eating habit changed.
    I read that Susan Dawson Cook article in USMS Swimmer with interest as well. Maybe we can just reduce the drinking during taper? I'm willing to do that. But I think I am too much of a beer snob to avoid alcohol during the season, which would probably do much more good.
    In February, I gave up ALL alcohol. I also read that Dara Torres does not drink alcohol or any caffeine. I can live without alcohol, but the caffeine is a killer.

I think if you just reduce everything by 2/3, you will swim faster. Do you think you might be setting yourself up for failure by going cold turkey? Perhaps, I don't know how mentally tough you are, but for me there is no way I could give up everything for 3 months.

Good luck
    hey fort,

you can do it
    hope your nutritional program helps.

I need to do better with eating, I have a tendancy to eat too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    How can I be accused of sandbagging when I have never swam the 100 Fly LCM? Then again, chewing on your wake doesn't hold that much appeal for me either.
    Not in the 100 fly! Surely you remember my last 100 fly LC at Zones last year? The one where I almost had to swim to the side and get out using the ladder? I hope I don't have a repeat of that this summer ... Going to try again at Jr. Champs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman
    I like this topic regardign nutrition. You are right, it will enchance performance. Did you read Garret Weber-Gale blog? He mentioned that how much his performance improved when his eating habit changed.
    Haven't followed his blog. Very interesting though. I may have to go have a read. I know on the Cross Fit site they recommend a Zone type diet cutting out many of the things I listed above. They also advocate eating a LOT of meat and fish, which isn't a problem for me, as I like that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimbreast
    In February, I gave up ALL alcohol. I also read that Dara Torres does not drink alcohol or any caffeine. I can live without alcohol, but the caffeine is a killer.

I think if you just reduce everything by 2/3, you will swim faster. Do you think you might be setting yourself up for failure by going cold turkey? Perhaps, I don't know how mentally tough you are, but for me there is no way I could give up everything for 3 months.

Good luck
    Hey Swimbreast,

Nice to hear from you.

Have you been swimming faster since giving up alcohol? For me, caffeine would be impossible (I need my morning java), and I won't even attempt it. Not sure how tough I am mentally because I have literally never attempted to diet in any form. It's about 10 weeks. Wouldn't go cold turkey though. I'd like to broadly cut out the categories I mentioned and then allow the Jazz Hand's 10% crap rule. The idea of cutting back 2/3 is a solid one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    I need to do better with eating, I have a tendancy to eat too much.
    I think everyone tends to. Portion control is key. And something I almost never think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Not in the 100 fly! Surely you remember my last 100 fly LC at Zones last year? The one where I almost had to swim to the side and get out using the ladder? I hope I don't have a repeat of that this summer ... Going to try again at Jr. Champs.
    Apparently you missed my debacle in the SCY 100 Fly at Nats.

In case you missed it:

http://www.floswimming.org/videos/co.../234996/177504

I'm in lane 7.
    I like your diet ideas, Fort. Whole foods are better than processed foods, in general. Recently I've become interested in "You are what what you eat eats," and paying more attention to the process used to create the eggs and milk I consume (not eating meat right now, since I never really liked meat in the first place). If I drink milk from a cow that gets hormone treatment and an unbalanced diet, it's not totally crazy to think this could affect me negatively.

Ande, I disagree that you "eat too much." For swimmers, this is generally not a problem. You need energy, after all. Diet changes, in my opinion, are best brought about by adding things to your diet, or by making substitutions. The best substitution most people can make is fruits and vegetables instead of refined grains and added sugar. Suppose you want to alter a dinner that has white bread, pasta, and a baked dessert. You could have fish, nuts, brown rice, and berries instead.
    Oh, and I follow Garrett Weber-Gale's blog. He seems like a nice guy and all, but he is absolutely clueless about nutrition. Take this post, for example: http://garrettwebergale.blogspot.com...ime-snack.html

The gist is that he eats a cereal called Kashi Go Lean before bed, because it contains carbs, which his body can "use for energy". He claims that protein would be "stored as fat". This is stupid for several reasons. First, there is a conventional wisdom on this topic, but he got it backwards: typically the advice is to avoid carbs and to eat more fat and slow-digesting proteins before bed. Not that there's much actual evidence on this point. I'm pretty sure it's a myth. I think he heard the myth and somehow reversed it?

Beyond that, Kashi Go Lean is actually a very high-protein cereal! It has added soy chunks. And he eats it in milk, nature's most high-protein beverage! The bowl of cereal depicted in his blog likely has over 30g protein in it. Does he even read the label? If he did, he would also see that it's not exactly a health food, since it contains several different forms of added starch and sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Ande, I disagree that you "eat too much."
    I think Ande has too many business dinners and not enough restraint.

It is quite easy to eat too much for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I think Ande has too many business dinners and not enough restraint.

It is quite easy to eat too much for most people.
    I think you are confusing "a lot" with "too much." In general, if you restrict how much you eat, you just end up getting hungrier later. That's how hunger works. It's a lot simpler and less anxiety-provoking to just eat healthy food instead of worrying about portions.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast