View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

Results - USA-S Greater Southwest Invite

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
by , January 20th, 2015 at 03:08 PM (1608 Views)
Long time no blog! Well, i was getting bored with my own blogging, so I thought i'd just report back with some meet results.

The meet was the Greater Southwest Invite, a USA swim meet that is a larger one in the DFW area. Teams from the region will travel. It's a prelim/final format. But it always falls the same weekend as the Austin Grand Prix, so it does siphon off some of the very most elite regional swimmers. All the more room for me.

I only entered the last day and swam the 100 back and 50 free. I almost didn't show, but felt guilty since I did the same thing at the last big meet (for the same reason, actually).

100 back:
30.22 33.23 1:03.45

50 free: (scratched finals)

I was very happy with those times. The first event always sets the tone for me. No matter what the event, better to do it really aggressive and build confidence from there. So I decided to really crush the first 12 1/2 to the 50, then hang on for dear life. That was a really good strategy, with a respectable dying at the end. The hammer came down hard on the last 25, but not really until then. My 50 back last year was 29.5. If I had held back, i'd have been more like 31.5 and 34 and felt the same, so glad I just took it out.

The 50 free was pretty good. I actually felt more connected and stronger than my usual swim, better control and power off the start and turn. It gives me great confidence that I am capable of going 24.+ again, it's just a matter of when I can get it all put together and getting under again.

I got really freaked out the evening of the meet. Very randomly, as I was stabbing away at my peppered beef (or maybe it was the cream cheese stuffed mushroom cap) on skewer at Simply Fondue, my left shoulder started hurting. By the next day, it was at about 20% operation above my head. Doing a google search, I determined that I probably had burstis (sp) and not a rotator cuff injury. Not sure if that is even right. So I was really bummed out, since I have always prided myself on never doing anything hard to enough to get those kinds of injuries. But, I decided i'd make the most of it any swim anyway, with a new routine of mostly kicking. Limit to 1/2 hour so not to overdo the legs and back.

The good news is that today my shoulders are sore, but about 90%, so I think I was just really sore. That said, i'm going to do no arm-swimming this week, just light stretching and enough to not get a frozen shoulder. From now on, i'm going to warm down (i didn't, just rushed for the lockers) and to do a light stretching round after meets. That probably was what did it.

The shoulders feel pretty normal now, just a familiar post-meet-i-didn't-warm-down soreness. And that's saying alot, as I just got a root canal at 10:45 am CST!

++++++++++++++++++++

Next up: I entered another USA meet - an open format, no qualifying times. So it'll be a mixed bag of swimmers. Most notably, it will be a MOMMY AND ME swim meet! I entered the 50 free, swimming 13 & over, WITH MY 2 DAUGHTERS! What fun. Well, for me. Not so much for them.

Submit "Results - USA-S Greater Southwest Invite" to Digg Submit "Results - USA-S Greater Southwest Invite" to del.icio.us Submit "Results - USA-S Greater Southwest Invite" to StumbleUpon Submit "Results - USA-S Greater Southwest Invite" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Next up: I entered another USA meet - an open format, no qualifying times. So it'll be a mixed bag of swimmers. Most notably, it will be a MOMMY AND ME swim meet! I entered the 50 free, swimming 13 & over, WITH MY 2 DAUGHTERS! What fun. Well, for me. Not so much for them.
    Think of this meet as laying the foundation for a lifetime of engagement with your daughters through Masters swimming. For me, I love that my Dad and I still can connect through swimming masters. I hope that I'll do the same with my daughters later in their lives.
    That sounds like fun. If you give them plenty of space and just interact occasionally during the meet they will probably think it is cool. You are fast enough that there is no danger of being embarrassingly slow. My daughter and I have talked about doing something like this, but have not made it happen. About 1.5 years ago there was an open meet and we were going to enter a relay with my daughter's friend and her little brother, (who was about 7 at the time). We were pretty excited about it and even tried to think up a name for our relay team, but the meet got cancelled Have fun!

Nice swims btw.
    Nice job chowmi!

Are you planning on nationals since it's in your home state?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Think of this meet as laying the foundation for a lifetime of engagement with your daughters through Masters swimming. For me, I love that my Dad and I still can connect through swimming masters. I hope that I'll do the same with my daughters later in their lives.
    Sorry to miss you - we swam on different days!!!! See you at the 1-day meet at Highland Park!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That sounds like fun. If you give them plenty of space and just interact occasionally during the meet they will probably think it is cool. You are fast enough that there is no danger of being embarrassingly slow. My daughter and I have talked about doing something like this, but have not made it happen. About 1.5 years ago there was an open meet and we were going to enter a relay with my daughter's friend and her little brother, (who was about 7 at the time). We were pretty excited about it and even tried to think up a name for our relay team, but the meet got cancelled Have fun!

Nice swims btw.
    Thank you! They're not really into the swimming, but will do a meet now and then. It will be a fun experience to have them swim in the same event!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nice job chowmi!

Are you planning on nationals since it's in your home state?
    Hi Fort! I PM'd you as well.

Right now, I don't plan on it. But I said the same thing for Austin, 2008 and did amazing there. My goal is to stay healthy and injury free this year. I'll do our 1 day meet in Feb, and then see how I feel.