View RSS Feed

flippergirl

OW swim off the coast of Cozumel Isle,Mexico

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
The water is torquoise blue while beautiful, unusual fish swim twenty feet under me tempting a free dive down every so often. I slide and glide as I follow after their yellow and silver schools. Although the tourist season is slow due to no cruise ships as a result of the swine flu I must watchout for dive boats heading in and out to the protected coral reefs. I wave to a boat and the native driver acknowledges me and smiles back. Mostly I stay very close to the rocky shore where it is more than safe from boats. It is easy to keep my head down to watch creatures floating, soaring or asleep below me. I have a bad habit of keeping my head too high in the water. This is a great way to change that.
The current is challenging as I swim south past my first goal, a stout white lighthouse on shore. Feeling good I scope out another destiny to reach. Just one more goal before heading home. I see a bouy in the distance and make that it. Its taking longer than expected as I go further into unknown territory . The water gets deeper and feels colder. My heart beats faster as I push onward against the current. I must do what I set out to do. The current is testing my will as well as my stamina. Stroke, kick, stroke, kick ...finally my index finger swipes the surface of the towering yellow bell shaped bouy. I then proceed to give it a good smack. My insides cheer hooray for me now lets get outta here. Heading home with the current going north I fly by the staypuff marshmellow man lighthouse with the current in my favor. The tempture is 77degrees. They say an octupus has a garden down there. I will have to look for him on my next trip to Cozumel.

Submit "OW swim off the coast of Cozumel Isle,Mexico" to Digg Submit "OW swim off the coast of Cozumel Isle,Mexico" to del.icio.us Submit "OW swim off the coast of Cozumel Isle,Mexico" to StumbleUpon Submit "OW swim off the coast of Cozumel Isle,Mexico" to Google

Updated May 29th, 2009 at 10:56 AM by flippergirl

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Ohhhh! I love open water swimming in the Caribbean. I'm envious! Sounds like a great swim. It's just boring pools and murky lakes for me. :-(
    Oh man am I jealous. Sounds absolutely exquisite.
    Tomorrow I do my first OW race in a lake and I am very excited to be doing that.
    My husband and I just got certified to scuba dive and we got a terrific deal to go there. It was wonderful. I guess it was just at the end of the flu scare, flights and stays were reasonable. We figured it was an island off Mexico so it was okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by kristilynn
    Ohhhh! I love open water swimming in the Caribbean. I'm envious! Sounds like a great swim. It's just boring pools and murky lakes for me. :-(
    Now that I am back to the pool I find my focus changes to "how fast can I go" and am diappointed that I am not doing as well as I would like. Isn't that silly. I should be gtateful for just being able to swim!
    Flip, you are a great writer. I can imagine myself there.
    Good luck with your OW swim!
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Flip, you are a great writer. I can imagine myself there.
    Good luck with your OW swim!
    Katie,
    I am full of lactic acid. owww! I finished! Thanks for the compliment. Hope you swimming is fair weather. Today I must recover.