View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Human, or at least my, limits reached?

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Yesterday, my 23rd consecutive day of punishing physical exercise, almost, but not quite, marked the end of the streak.

It was a dispiritedly humid day of the late spring, early summer gloom variety, the likes of which seems to promote so much depression and weltshmerz in the psychiatrically frail types like myself. I spent the morning showing our recently vacated rental properties to a prospective tenant, came back to the house in a state of exhaustion that had seeped like the cadence of a Poe poem into the core of me.

I lay myself upon the couch, turned on the TV in the hopes of finding some cheerful news about healthcare reform ("In a surprise move, Republican obstructionists today pulled pistols from their attache cases and fired bullets en masse into their temples.") Soon I had moved into a very deep sleep of the sort celebrated by Heinrich Heine in Morphine:

Sleep is good: and Death is better, yet
Surely never to have been born is best.
--Aus Der Matratzengruft

With a name like Heine, he's gotta be good.
D
uring the course of this nap, which was indeed restorative--who knows how many obstructionists cheerfully immolated themselves in my happy dreams?--a storm front moved through our area. I was awakened by thunder and hail, realized that the likelihood of my tennis match being canceled two hours hence was exceedingly high, then immediately nodded off for more sleep and more promise of GOP slaughter and blood bathery.

I awoke again, so deep in sleep inertia I could barely move. I contemplated the rest of my day, for there was much remaining: it was, after all, only 4:20 p.m., a good eight hours before my bedtime. Perhaps, I thought, I could go to the Y and do some weight lifting to keep the exercise streak going.

Or I could hit the On Demand button on my Comcast remote control and watch 14 consecutive episodes of True Blood.

Then my tennis opponent called up and told me it hadn't rained at all where he lived, about 5 miles away. So I dragged my carcass down to the surprisingly dry high school courts--puddles at my house deep enough for sustaining koi or at the very least snakeheads--and played, remarkably well, for the next 2.5 hours, keeping the streak robustly alive.

Did He who made the Newt make thee?

I don't know why I played well, but it was altogether unexpected.

Is it possible John and I are actually identical triplets?

Anyhow, the streak as of now includes:

1. 3150 yards
  2. 500 & weights
  3. 3200
  4. weights
  5. tennis
  6. 4500
  7. weights
  8. 3800
  9. weights
  10. 5000
  11. weights
  12. tennis
  13. 5300
  14. tennis
  15. 4900
  16. weights
  17. 4500
  18. weights
  19. tennis
  20. 4600
  21. weights
  22. 4100
  23. tennis

I stayed up late last night, relishing my tennis triumph, slept late this morning, my throat raw with a sore throat that has materialized out of the night. Who knows what has brought this new round of sickness upon me? Perhaps in the sleep world, the self-imolated obstructionists all rose from the dead, their bullet wounds and copious amounts of blood still in place, but now plodding about hither and yon with a zombie-like determination to obstruct all hope for the solvency of the likes of me.

Could this have caused a sore throat?

I need to buy some kind of sleep firearms to take with me to the other side the next time I visit the land of nod. I need to protect myself there from the Omega Men that are out to get me.

Zombie Youth Spawn: the future of Republicanism?

Practice tonight at the University of Pittsburgh, perhaps with the pool set up for long course. Sickness: you will not keep me from my practice! You are nothing compared to the fiends I face in the other world.

Nothing!

Submit "Human, or at least my, limits reached?" to Digg Submit "Human, or at least my, limits reached?" to del.icio.us Submit "Human, or at least my, limits reached?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Human, or at least my, limits reached?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Jim -
    this has been interesting reading...your practice swims are so fast, they must be B70 aided. I've been trying a similar routine, some questions -
    Are the longer rest, high speed sets something your whole team has switched to, or are you on your own?
    Do you do all freestyle or mix in some stroke work, being a 400 IM champion?
    What would happen if you took a rest day, think you would feel recovered and strong or miss the consistency?
    Do you think you get some kind of aerobic benefit from the tennis that helps your swimming? I hear both sides - your heart & lungs don't know whether you are running or swimming or whatever, just that they are working hard and getting stronger or...the exercise is muscle specific, look at all the well conditioned runners who can barely catch their breath after swimming 50 yards?
    I tend to swim early in the a.m., then get back to the Y for a class (spinning, core work) or weights when I can. I wonder if one of each of these per week is a good, varied plan, or if I end up doing too little of any one thing to benefit; eg if I needed to do weights at least 2 or 3 times per week, would it be better to skip something like a spin class or to replace a swim workout?
    I'm guessing that this type of training will require a longer taper?
    I do like the fit linxx data on weight machines. Last night the computer congratulated me for having lifted 8 million pounds (cumulative over the years, not that night)
    Will you swim at Indianapolis?

Dave
    Jimby that was dark.
    I liked the hari krishna stuff better.
    What's wrong with that poor little boy? I would like to help him?
    Oh....good job keeping the streak alive!
    I have a friend in Grove City, PA who has a 30 year running streak. I think that's crazy!
    Hi, Dave!

The longer rest, higher speed sets are something my coach bill and i have been doing for the past month or so. He and the rest of the team do a lot of non-freestyle, in fact, wednesday is all IM and strokes. But my shoulder has been so iffy that I haven't done anything but freestyle since CZ. In fact, I hadn't done anything but freestyle before CZ as well, which is a tribute and a testimony to the B70, god rest her soul again!

I definitely should take a rest day. In fact, I am sick and should skip practice tonight, but I am feeling compulsive and want to make a whole month!

Tennis probably doesn't help my swimming, but it is incredibly fun, and may give my legs a bit of exercise that I don't get much of from the swimming predominance. I have been playing tennis is the summers for years now, and by the fall, by elbow is so wrecked that I need the winter to recover. But it is fun.

I have been told by a researcher at U.Conn that you can maintain strength gains via once a week lifting, though 2 x might be better. He said you should try to do 2x or 3x a week at first to GET stronger, then you can shift to the maintain phase.

I am figuring I will do that eventually. In fact, with tennis, I am sometimes down to just 2x a week nautilus already.

I do think that sprint swimming is akin to its own form of aquatic weightlifting. I know my arms feel equally, if not more, dead afterwards.

Yes, I am hoping to make it to Indy. Congratulations on 8 million pounds! Atlas Jr.
    Bob, the little boy doesn't really look like this. I googled "jpg zombies" and this zombie youth popped up.

My streak is being tested tonight. Sore throat, body aches, and weakness!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    My streak is being tested tonight. Sore throat, body aches, and weakness!
    Take a sudafed, some aspirin, and be done with it. Excuses, excuses...

Is the Pitt pool still the one at the top of the hill, next to the med school? I went to Pitt briefly in 1987-88 and remember swimming there during rec swim hours. There were 2 pools, both indoors.
    Yes! Same pool(s). I decided to stay here in Sewickley and swim here instead. Closer to the hospital.
    Damn! I have tennis-envy. Do you find you serve better after a swim? I always did.
    Yes! Same pool(s). I decided to stay here in Sewickley and swim here instead. Closer to the hospital.
    Wow, I'm surprised the pools have survived so long. They didn't seem new when I used them. I guess they do a good job of keeping them up. Just walking up that hill to the pool was a workout in itself.

I have no idea where Sewickley is; I'm from the other side of the state (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area) and picked Pitt because it was nearly the furthest I could go while still being in the same state.

But I think you're being a bit dramatic with, "close to the hospital." Heck, if you went to the Pitt pool, you'd have their med school right there
    When I was at UPitt in 1994 and 1996 for a swim meet, I remember it being a top notch pool. If only, I could have swum some top notch times at that pool. Instead, I did top notch crappy times.
    They did a major re-haul of the pool last summer. It's really nice now--they put in one of those ultraviolet filtration systems, which allows for much lower chlorine levels. I think the facility has been around since at least the 1960s. Tom, I think the fact that you can even remember your times from 1994 and 1996 is testimony to your swimming greatness! I can't remember my times from Colony Zones five weeks ago!
    They did a major re-haul of the pool last summer. It's really nice now--they put in one of those ultraviolet filtration systems, which allows for much lower chlorine levels. I think the facility has been around since at least the 1960s. Tom, I think the fact that you can even remember your times from 1994 and 1996 is testimony to your swimming greatness! I can't remember my times from Colony Zones five weeks ago!
    When I do a time now, I compare to when I did in my age group days as best I can remember. For instance, my 200 yard fly time today is comparable to when I was 14.
    amazing. you must have been a great 14 year old
    amazing. you must have been a great 14 year old
    I was ok. I was no Brendan Hansen at 14. My times at 14 were equivalent to Michael Phelps as a embryo!!!
    No wonder his mother put him on ADD drugs.