View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

LCM Practice, Sunday, May 31

Rate this Entry
Made it to my team practice. It was rather sparsely attended. Our coach and I had a lane to ourselves. A couple teammates were at the MD State LC meet.

Warm up:

2 x through:

2 x 100 swim
2 x 50 kick
200 pull
100 IM drill

8 x vertical kicking
20 seconds with hands at shoulders, 10 seconds with arms in streamline position, squat jump off the bottom of the pool, repeat without stopping

Main sets:

250 stroke, descend each 50 (did back, can't remember the intervals for the 250s)
3 x 50 @ 1:20
#1 25 backward free, 25 fast free
(backward free makes me feel very uncoordinated)
#2 25 dolphin kick, 25 fast free
#3 25 monkey (), 25 fast free
250 kick, descend each 50
(I broke it into 50s. 25 UW shooter w/fins + 25 kick, 5 second break at each 50)
3 x 50 @ 1:20, same as above
250 free, descend each 50
(I paced off/raced Brad Gandee on this one. Me with fins. This totally kicked my ass, but I had more gas the last 50 than I thought.)
3 x 50 @ 1:20, same as above
(I cheated and did the first two 50s easy, as I was totally gassed.)

100 EZ

4 x 200
#1 200 IM kick @ 4:30
#2-4 200 IM @ 3:30

100 EZ

1 x 50 UW shooter on back w/MF

Felt compelled to do this, despite being very tired, as I didn't do it last week and I wouldn't want Chris to think I was a wimp. Went about 80-85% because I was a bit worried about cramping on the first 25. Coach timed (and said she would make sure I didn't pass out. lol) I went :25. Wasn't too bad really.

50 EZ

Total: 4000 meters

I'm feeling pretty strong in the water again. Every once in awhile I notice the effects of the weight training.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with apple
Post Swim Snack: G2, balance bar
Lunch: Salad with green/red lettuce, grilled chicken, sprouts, tomatoes, avocado, currants, flax seeds
Snack: yogurt, blueberries, hummus with whole wheat crackers
Dinner: bean and cheese burritos from Whole Food (the whole fam, except for Lil Fort was elsewhere), kiwi, quinoa salad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running:

Interesting article in the NYT on May 28 on the topic that there is "no right way or wrong way to run:"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/he...on/28best.html

Reminded me of swimming actually. Personally, I can't do a heel strike without getting shin splints.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other Random Notes:

Just could not make it to NVSL "University" this weekend to do referee training ... way too many kids' activities. I'll have to stick with stroke & turning. I'm sure I will deek a few more kids than Geek and a few less than Hulk.

Had to post this cute picture (taken by SwimRobin) of Jimby, me and Wookiee from Zones. One of my teammates who's back to swim training after a break commented that: "Maybe masters meets are more fun now than I remember." lol
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	n674488395_1794057_5387751.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	6268  

Submit "LCM Practice, Sunday, May 31" to Digg Submit "LCM Practice, Sunday, May 31" to del.icio.us Submit "LCM Practice, Sunday, May 31" to StumbleUpon Submit "LCM Practice, Sunday, May 31" to Google

Updated June 1st, 2009 at 12:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

That is cool that there is a good amount of Masters swimmers doing USA-S meet in your area. Paul is at that MD meet this weekend. I think that I am the only one in the Philly area right now. My one training mate doesn't want to do USAS meet til the fall(rolling my eyes).
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    That is cool that there is a good amount of Masters swimmers doing USA-S meet in your area. Paul is at that MD meet this weekend. I think that I am the only one in the Philly area right now. My one training mate doesn't want to do USAS meet til the fall(rolling my eyes).
    We do have a few. Speedsters Wally Dicks and Petra Martin are there today from my team. I think Wolfy is going to swim with me at the meet on June 14. Occasionally, The Little Roddin Devil will swim a USA-S meet too.
    Just food for thought...There was a study they did on weight loss and people who had fish oil every morning with their oat meal lost more weight than those who did not take fishoil in the morning. Just another study. The oatmeal is really good for cutting down cholesterol as I am sure you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by flippergirl
    Just food for thought...There was a study they did on weight loss and people who had fish oil every morning with their oat meal lost more weight than those who did not take fishoil in the morning. Just another study. The oatmeal is really good for cutting down cholesterol as I am sure you know.
    I usually take an omega 3 vitamin in the am. Had no idea about the weight loss effects or oatmeal really. I don't have any cholesterol issues, thankfully. This morning, I used Patrick's trick of putting some peanut butter in the oatmeal to get some am protein.