View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Bad Timing, Zones

Rate this Entry
I was still hiving whilst driving down to Zones yesterday. And I wasn't feeling great from a week of interrupted sleep from the hives and medicine. But I felt like I had to travel to Zones bc three of my swimmers were competing there. I'm so proud of them. They all had PRs today and one is likely to get her first top ten. So that was thrilling for me.

My events didn't go so well. My 50 breast was 34.0. Half a second faster than last time and a Zones record, but .9 slower than last year. My 100 back was a non-starter. I cramped on the start. I muddled through the first 50 not kicking very hard, but my calf really seized up on the second turn and I aborted the race. Even with half ass kicks, I was still out in a fairly effortless 30.5. I didn't swim the 50 fly, which was right after. Didn't want to risk another cramp. I am disappointed about not being able to get a 100 back time this year ...

Right now, though, I feel covered in hives again and so am loaded up in Benadryl. I'm not sure it was wise to try to compete after such a severe allergic reaction. I'm obviously not over it. At first I thought to myself that it was stupid to have rested a few days for Zones with nationals coming up. But I likely couldn't have trained hard anyway without compromising the situation further. The doctor said rest, rest, rest. Adding to the stress was some bad news about Mr Forts recent blood tests. He needs to see a urologist and hematologist. And he is supposed to run Boston next weekend.

I thought about just driving home. But I'm here and my swimmers are here. Right now, I just plan to swim 50 free tomorrow. Maybe 100 fly. But honestly my heart is just not in it. At this juncture, I'm thinking of pulling the plug on nationals. I don't want to get all the way there and not feel amped to compete. And I don't right now; I'm a little deflated. It's been a hard couple months, and I feel worn down. As I told Water Rat once, and it resonated with him, I'm not a wind up monkey that can perform on cue. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and think about it for a couple days. It's not the end of the world, just a lot of bad timing.

Submit "Bad Timing, Zones" to Digg Submit "Bad Timing, Zones" to del.icio.us Submit "Bad Timing, Zones" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bad Timing, Zones" to Google

Updated April 11th, 2015 at 10:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I am sorry you had a bad meet. Put it behind you. Focus on getting well and if you come down for nationals you will have fun(I promise). Obviously you know I don't want you to drop out but you need to get better no matter what. Stay positive and as you told me, rest, rest, rest.
    Well that sucks.

As for tomorrow, if you're not psyched to swim, then don't swim. I'd just focus on cheering on your swimmers and relaxing. Then you can re-evaluate San Antonio in a few days time.
    Sorry to hear this Leslie. Not much choice but to roll with it, and great to hear your swimmers did well. Hopefully the hives will leave as abruptly as they started and you'll be ready go for Nats.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am sorry you had a bad meet. Put it behind you. Focus on getting well and if you come down for nationals you will have fun(I promise). Obviously you know I don't want you to drop out but you need to get better no matter what. Stay positive and as you told me, rest, rest, rest.
    It was sort of a non-starter day. I think I need to rest this week to allow my immune system to recover, which is not what I would do if going to nationals. I had planned to bump it up a few days and re-rest. But one can't float around for 3 weeks and go to nationals. I'm really exhausted from the travel, stress and antihistamines. I may have to call it a day. And I was really looking forward to being on a team for nationals. But after the long drive home, I just want to feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Well that sucks.

As for tomorrow, if you're not psyched to swim, then don't swim. I'd just focus on cheering on your swimmers and relaxing. Then you can re-evaluate San Antonio in a few days time.
    I did just that. I enjoyed watching my swimmers race and grab PRs. I decided to hop in for the 50 free because, after all, it's only 2 lengths. But that was exhausting too. Racing all doped up on downers (antihistamines) day and night is not an ideal situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Sorry to hear this Leslie. Not much choice but to roll with it, and great to hear your swimmers did well. Hopefully the hives will leave as abruptly as they started and you'll be ready go for Nats.
    Thanks Bill. I tried to just enjoy being at a swim meet today and watching other friends race. Still hiving now ...
    It was very scary seeing The mighty Fort stop mid-way through her 50 turn and swim back. I was really worried you blew out your knee, so from my standpoint a calf cramp was a relief! You were really hobbling out of the pool. It seems at every masters meet, there is one person who is That Guy that has an alarming attack of some kind, so I think you took the hit for everyone at the Colonies zone meet, 2015!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    It was very scary seeing The mighty Fort stop mid-way through her 50 turn and swim back. I was really worried you blew out your knee, so from my standpoint a calf cramp was a relief! You were really hobbling out of the pool. It seems at every masters meet, there is one person who is That Guy that has an alarming attack of some kind, so I think you took the hit for everyone at the Colonies zone meet, 2015!
    Heehee. So glad to be of service!

I have had two other races marred by calf cramps in my masters career. I am a little prone to them. However, on this occasion, I think there might have been some dehydration from all the antihistamines.