View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Zones, Day 2

Rate this Entry
I had resolved to just enjoy watching my friends race today. And I did! My Pitt swimmers swam very well, two of them having all PRs at Zones. My PV buddies had some great swims. It was so much fun hanging out with chowmi as well. And I learned that her brother has come to a couple of my practices! (She is from Pittsburgh.) She was quite speedy today and the master of good execution (and casual napping). We lament that we cannot be training partners!

50 free, 25.5

I decided just to swim 50 free, and I didn't have much punch for that. Given the situation, my modest goal was to go under :26. I went 25.5. Start and turn were fairly good, though I didn't take as many SDKs off the turn as I had planned. But I felt like I was staggering to the wall after that -- tired and no legs. Chowmi said there was lots of room for improvement and that is certainly true. Like Jazz, she encouraged me to focus on freestyle more. If I can go 25.5 feeling like crap on 5 days rest, I think I should be able to go under :25 again with a full taper. Right now that time is #1, but it might get bumped down a notch at nationals. I'm glad that I have times from Auburn in a few of my best events as a back up. But no taper times for me this year.

Musings:

But the bottom line is that I am feeling mentally and physically out of it. Between the allergic reaction, poor sleep, travel, mega antihistamines and continued hives, I'm beat. And that doesn't even account for the cumulative effect of the preceding sinus infection, ear infection and back issue. I feel like I've been doing battle for 2 months and I want out! Right now, I feel that I should cancel nationals and just rest up for a few days to allow the hives to fully abate. It's disappointing, but not the end of the world. I think all masters have to expect to have unscheduled difficulties befall them at the wrong time. That's just how it works out sometimes. And it certainly makes you appreciate the moments when all things coalesce marvelously. I will continue to mull ... but it seems unlikely that I can summon up the requisite enthusiasm for a long meet in a distant locale. And as of this am, my legs are still covered in hives. I am doing nothing today! I think once your body has an allergic reaction, it is then primed to be bothered by other allergens. With spring here, those are out in full force.

I'm also wondering in the future about planning two major travel meets less than two weeks apart. This is probably not ideal for me. Focusing on one is probably the way to go. I miss living in PV where I could roll out of bed and go to a meet!

I must confess to a little retail therapy yesterday after the meet. The shopping in Pittsburgh is not exactly the best. So I made a concerted effort to help the economy!

Zone results are here:
http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...ults/index.htm

Submit "Zones, Day 2" to Digg Submit "Zones, Day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Zones, Day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Zones, Day 2" to Google

Updated April 13th, 2015 at 01:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I am happy to report that Fort's hives are really not contagious, after sitting next to her most of the meet and using her ninja-massage tool! You did swim well; your 50 free really reaffirmed that the underwater is what it's all about. Even with a tough finish, that is a super awesome time! I really do believe you are capable of under 24; it's just a matter of being healthy, being 100% engaged with that i'm-ready-to-chew-glass (or alternatively, that i'm-ready-to-break-this-beer-bottle-on-my forehead) really crazy pysched swim! And it was good for you to come to the meet - it's a long stretch without racing, and there's nothing like actually suiting up. I think it really helped for you to see friends, coach, and get in at least a few swims. Shopping IS fun!!!!

Take care of yourself, and hope you fully recover soon!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    I am happy to report that Fort's hives are really not contagious, after sitting next to her most of the meet and using her ninja-massage tool! You did swim well; your 50 free really reaffirmed that the underwater is what it's all about. Even with a tough finish, that is a super awesome time! I really do believe you are capable of under 24; it's just a matter of being healthy, being 100% engaged with that i'm-ready-to-chew-glass (or alternatively, that i'm-ready-to-break-this-beer-bottle-on-my forehead) really crazy pysched swim! And it was good for you to come to the meet - it's a long stretch without racing, and there's nothing like actually suiting up. I think it really helped for you to see friends, coach, and get in at least a few swims. Shopping IS fun!!!!

Take care of yourself, and hope you fully recover soon!!!
    In short course, UWs are key. Did you notice that at NCAAs the 50 free winner Caleb Dressel had the longest underwaters off the start and turn? I think I just need to race 50 free more often, but it's difficult with the lack of meets here.

I am usually strictly an online shopper these days bc I dislike malls. But it is nice to have some new things. And they are not all black!

And it is fun being a coach!
    Leslie, so sorry about your travails this spring season. One of the few silver linings I've found when I swim disappointing times at big meets where I'd hope to do well is that it sets a nice bar for the NEXT year's big meet! You are too young yet for age to be taking a huge toll, but it does--ever so slightly--begin making improvement difficult, followed by making just holding on to your recent times difficult, followed by the bending curve down. The key, I think, is to beat this curve of decay by rotting at a slightly less determined pace than nature intends you to! That's why bad meets aren't entirely bad--again, they set a lower bar for you to make the next time around.

You are a magnificent swimmer and trendsetter and you are ENTIRELY TOO HARD ON YOURSELF!

You go, girl, and have fun doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Leslie, so sorry about your travails this spring season. One of the few silver linings I've found when I swim disappointing times at big meets where I'd hope to do well is that it sets a nice bar for the NEXT year's big meet! You are too young yet for age to be taking a huge toll, but it does--ever so slightly--begin making improvement difficult, followed by making just holding on to your recent times difficult, followed by the bending curve down. The key, I think, is to beat this curve of decay by rotting at a slightly less determined pace than nature intends you to! That's why bad meets aren't entirely bad--again, they set a lower bar for you to make the next time around.

You are a magnificent swimmer and trendsetter and you are ENTIRELY TOO HARD ON YOURSELF!

You go, girl, and have fun doing so.
    I am not deterred and will continue to try to rot at an extremely gradual pace! It's been a tough year on the whole, especially with the RC tear last fall. Zones wasn't really my focus meet; it was more of a tune up for nationals. But sometimes one gets knocked off course. I still have some solid times from the Auburn meet last February.

The one continuing point of frustration for me is Pittsburgh. I feel like I need to race more often, and the Y meets just don't appeal.