View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

On Track to Goals?

Rate this Entry
by , April 21st, 2015 at 06:09 PM (52 Views)
Today I simply did a variation on my 1,000 SCM warmup - 400 IM k/d by 25, 4 x 100 gentle descend on 1:40 w/snorkel (1:20 -> 1:07), an easy 50 and then 3 backstroke starts into a strong 15M and floating through the rest of the 50. My backstroke starts felt pretty well locked in. I'm still taking 6-7 SDKs to get to the surface and would rather be at 3-5, but they feel less detrimental to my overall time than they did previously. I didn't really worry about how I felt in the water because it just doesn't matter ...

... and that's what I'll keep telling myself, mantra-like, until I step on the blocks for my first race

Try as I might, I cannot escape my mind making up goals, so here goes:

Friday, April 24, 2015
200 Freestyle 1:48.81
  • That best time was from 2008 Nationals in Austin
  • I was 1:50.47 last year at Santa Clara and 1:51.97 in January of this year
  • I really, really, really want to beat that 1:48.8 time and feel like I should be able to. At a bare minimum, I want to see 1:49.xx

50 Breaststroke 30.82
  • I think this should be a slam dunk to beat my best time as I've never swum this tapered and shaved.

100 Backstroke 58.74
  • Similar to the breaststroke, this time should be beatable.
  • In my mind, I should be capable of 56 something as I've been 53.97 in my 100 fly and historically my fly and back times were spot on the same in the 200 and pretty darn close in the 100.

Saturday, April 25, 2015
500 Freestyle 4:50.18
  • This is the one event where I'm really going to cut myself some slack and just see what happens. I certainly think sub 4:55 is doable and I can visualize a sub 4:50 (which is the bare minimum it will take to win this), but I'm just going to focus on enjoying the racing experience and try to stick to a strategy.

100 Breaststroke 1:07.41
  • As with the 50 breast, I should be able to easily beat this time. I have gone 1:07.4 to 1:08.5 in all my in-season efforts over the last few years and was out at 1:07.9 last year in the 200 breast at Nationals feeling very controlled.
  • I am not sure I can approach the 1:04.96 I did from the full-body tech suit era as the suits were especially kind to me in breaststroke, but I'd really like to see 1:05.xx

50 Freestyle 22.77
  • Equaling or beating this best time might just be harder than my 500. Outside of the tech suit era, I only went under 23 at two meets - the 22.77 from a USAS meet in January 2011 and a 22.97 at Mesa Nationals in 2011, the year when I fancied myself a sprinter.
  • I'd really like to see 22.xx, but, by this stage of the meet, will just focus on race execution and see what happens.

Beyond the racing, I am really looking forward to the weekend and seeing many people.
With the Texas location, I see a few names of folks I haven't seen since my Austin days, so I'll hopefully track them down. I always end up missing many people, but hopefully I'll do a better job this time. I do wish my father could've made the trip out as we haven't swum at a Nationals together since 2012, nor a meet together since I went out for the Colonies Zone LCM meet in the summer of 2013. I'll see him soon enough for my second daughter's HS graduation in May, but it always nice to have the extended and relaxed time at a meet to catch up with both my parents. They have lots of grandparenting responsibilities this year that prevent them from getting to San Antonio, but I am counting on him racing in Greensboro next year and hoping I can entice him out to Portland for a 3 generation mixed relay with his grand-daughters

Submit "On Track to Goals?" to Digg Submit "On Track to Goals?" to del.icio.us Submit "On Track to Goals?" to StumbleUpon Submit "On Track to Goals?" to Google

Tags: meetminus3, taper
Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Try as I might, I cannot escape my mind making up goals, so here goes:
    Um, I though goals were something you set at the beginning of the season. These are more like expectations,... or a wish list.

500 Freestyle 4:50.18 ... I certainly think sub 4:55 is doable and I can visualize a sub 4:50 (which is the bare minimum it will take to win this),
    I agree. It's going to take a time significantly under 4:50 to win.

Methinks the 400 IM feels stood-up
    It doesn't really matter how you feel! The only thing that matters is that you are resting and that you like to race.

"Goal" is such a flexible word in masters. I think you can set and re-set goals as you go depending on life and your mindset. I rather like your term BHAG for a reach time you might have in your mind at the outset of a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Um, I though goals were something you set at the beginning of the season.
    Call these "just-in-time" goals. I almost never know at the start of the season truly what events or meet I will peak for, or even if there will be a peak meet.

As for the 400 IM, I think it will feel well-loved once Nicolas Granger is done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    As for the 400 IM, I think it will feel well-loved once Nicolas Granger is done with it.
    If it is streaming, I hope to catch that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The only thing that matters is that you are resting and that you like to race.
    Right on! I am and I do

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    "Goal" is such a flexible word in masters. I think you can set and re-set goals as you go depending on life and your mindset.
    Truer words were never spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    4:01 !!!
    On the br he had excellent long pullouts and was taking 7 SPL. His br splits were :33 and :34! I can't go :34 for a 50, and he was in the middle of a 400 IM. Ok, he is 5 years younger than I, but I couldn't do it 5 years ago either.