View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

SAT Nats Day 1: The 200 saved me 350

Rate this Entry
by , April 24th, 2015 at 07:21 PM (90 Views)
I made a bet with myself (and shared it with my wife) that if I got all best times today (see http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?357...Track-to-Goals), I'd splurge and buy myself one of the new TYR Avictor suits (the black one, not those godawful color-mishmashes). I have been very loyal to my TYR Tracer Light, but have never gone "high end" since the wonderful days of the rubber suits ended. I figured it might be worth trying, but I'd have to earn it.

My pocketbook is safe.

Here's how the day went:

200 free
  • Masters best - 1:48.81 (Austin Nats, 2008)
  • Santa Clara Nats - 1:50.47
  • Today - 1:49.68
  • Thoughts on the race in the pool:
    • There was a lot to like about this race - aside from going out too slow on the first 50 (25.78 when I really wanted to be 24-very high to 25-very low), my splitting the remainder of the race was great (27.77, 28.07, 28.06).
    • Other than an extra breath heading into the 150 wall, I didn't make an egregious strategic errors.
    • I have only been faster (tech suits excluded) twice in my Masters career - 2003 and 2008 Nationals - so, while I'm not getting faster, I'm slowing down very slowly.
    • However ...

• Thoughts on the pre-race readiness:
    • I made some super-huge rookie mistakes in the few heats leading up to the race.
    • To begin with, I got distracted watching the prior heat in my end of the pool (where Dave Sims was cranking) and the second fastest heat of my age group in the other end of the pool.
    • That caused me to not get my goggles and cap on until about the 125/150 of both of those races ... which I did in time, but then remembered that I needed to tie my suit.
    • I was wearing the Nero XII suit I had splurged on last year (mid-range at the time, about $200) and, in my rush to get it tied, managed to get the drawstring knotted up. When the whistle blew to get on the blocks, I wasn't entirely confident in my tie-job keeping the suit above my ass.
    • A rare false start allowed me some time to wiggle the knot loose and re-tie my suit while on the blocks, but this was definitely not the right mindset to be in pre-race.

50 breast

• Masters best - 30.82
  • Today - 29.92
  • Thoughts on the race:
    • I learned my wardrobe malfunction lesson and switched back into my trusty Tracer Light. I had my cap and goggles on 2 or 3 heats ahead of my race. I was totally focused on the race as the whistle blew.
    • I really wanted to get under 0:30 and was super happy to do so. With that said, I think I went too deep on my start and didn't really feel like I found my stroke until right near the end.
    • This time approached the 29.63 I went during the tech suit era, something I think I could get under in the future.
    • I am VERY excited to swim the 100 breast tomorrow.

100 back

• Masters best - 58.74
  • Today - 56.95
  • Thoughts on the race:
    • I finally swam a great backstroke race! While I did go a little deeper than desired on the start, I didn't lose as much ground as I usually do. From there on out, I just felt powerful.
    • The one lesson I've learned about the 100 back is that I can NEVER feel like I am going out too fast. I tried really, really hard to get out fast and yet I still almost negative split this baby - 28.43, 28.52.
    • My backstroke has felt really great this whole season and this was the icing on the cake.

The one thing today did teach me is this: I don't ever need to look for another suit beyond the TYR Tracer Light. It is the perfect suit. I think I might start hoarding and hermetically sealing them: as I watched the heat of four 90-something guys race the 50 breaststroke, it dawned on me that I hopefully will need another 40+ years of this suit

I have been to a lot of great pools and, while I do think there are faster pools than this (e.g., UT-Austin, Indianapolis), this facility is BY FAR the best setup I have been to for a Nationals meet - perfectly chilled water for racing, acres of space to spread out and relax, more warmup lanes than we might even need, huge and plentiful locker/bathroom facilities, the best scoreboard I have seen at any pool, an army of cheery volunteers, and more. On top of that, the thunderstorms held off and we had a cloudy, perfectly-temperatured day for racing.

Submit "SAT Nats Day 1: The 200 saved me 350" to Digg Submit "SAT Nats Day 1: The 200 saved me 350" to del.icio.us Submit "SAT Nats Day 1: The 200 saved me 350" to StumbleUpon Submit "SAT Nats Day 1: The 200 saved me 350" to Google

Updated April 24th, 2015 at 07:28 PM by pwb

Tags: nationals, taper
Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Damn fine swimming today Patrick. I predict big things for you in the 500 tomorrow. Just make sure you get your suit in order
    You couldn't give me one of those mishmash suits! They are appalling ugly. And I'm not a TYR fan for women.

Great day of racing Patrick! Only .8 off all PRs is so impressive. That 100 back was an especially big drop. I watched the race online and you really did come back the second half. I can't comprehend how anyone can negative split a 100 when you have the start. But there's a PV woman who does the same.

The set up does look nice. How deep is the pool?

Good luck tomorrow!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You couldn't give me one of those mishmash suits! They are appalling ugly.
    I applaud TYR for trying to bring some color to the tech suit world, but they went too far.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That 100 back was an especially big drop. I watched the race online and you really did come back the second half. I can't comprehend how anyone can negative split a 100 when you have the start.
    I have a very bad start.

The set up does look nice. How deep is the pool?[/QUOTE]It is deep throughout and deeper than me, so I suspect more than 7 feet. I think there is a little bit of a slope where each end (width-wise) is shallower and the middle is deepest.
    Great swims, Patrick! It was great to see so many forumites putting up such great times.

I've only had a few tech suits in my Masters career, but the TYR Tracer Light is the best I've had. Least expensive as well.

Those colorful TYR Avictor suits are awful, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Great swims, Patrick! It was great to see so many forumites putting up such great times.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    I've only had a few tech suits in my Masters career, but the TYR Tracer Light is the best I've had. Least expensive as well.
    Yeah, I have always liked it, but kind of still wondered if there was something better. I have closed the case on that question. It is my suit. Maybe I'll get a blue one sometime if I want to mix things up.
    Nice swimming Patrick! I'll check results again tomorrow night for your next day results! Have more fun!!
    Glad I'm not the only one that thinks those TYR suits are hideous. Great swimming, Patrick!
    200 free 1:49.68 was impressive and faster than last year
    maybe go out a little faster
    your 2nd 3rd & 4th 50s were right where they needed to be
    Dave Sims was cranking, he told me "I'm not sure what I can do to go faster next year."
    your suit drama added a little adrenalin to your race

50 breast excellent 50 breast

100 back very nice, great splits maybe get out a little faster
    28.43, 28.52