View RSS Feed

After a long rest

USMS Spring Nationals - Day 2

Rate this Entry
I had a good night of sleep despite storms that came through last night, however when I woke up to my iPhone alarm I quickly realized the whole hotel was in complete darkness. I also found out that shaving with the light from my iPhone in the sink with cold water is not my best sport!

One of my team mates drove me to chick fil a to grab some food and then we headed to the pool. I was a little sore this morning but felt good after a slightly longer than normal meet warm up(1500). I waited around about 30 minutes due to the delay in starting the meet and then put on my meet suit. I then got back in and swam about 400 with a couple of 50s at 500 pace before I went over to the pool for the 500. I felt nice and relaxed. Like yesterday's 200 we had a false start which added to the anticipation. I had a good start and felt good on the first 50 but as the field started to pickup pace I soon realized I was struggling to hit my groove. I tried relaxing and focusing on long strokes and at half way I was a long way back but seemed to hit a groove and at 300 was able to pick up the pace. I came back strong on the last 200 and finished 5th at 4:56 which was definitely not the time I was hoping for and honestly thought I would be racing against pwb and sunruh. Alas it was not meant to be. I negative split the race and seemed to hit my groove over the last 200 but like yesterday's 200 I just did not feel my normal self.

Unlike previous meets i am just glad to be hear and I did not beat myself up and put it behind me. I had a nice break between the 500 and 200 back and did a nice long loose easy swim. I somehow felt like a different guy after the 500 and felt good and confident going up for my 200 back. The start time for the 200 back was about noon and the sun was right overhead. On the start I finally did not go deep but also did not go as far underwater. As I came up I was blinded by the sun and decided to move over to one side of the lane so I could at least use the lane line as a sighting guide. Off the first turn I was glad I did move close to the lane because the second length the sun seemed even worse. I swam close enough to the lane line the whole way so could feel it but not so close that I hit it or anything. My splits were great going 28 high, 30.x, 30.x, 30.x and ending up with 2:00.13 which is a masters best for me and I took second behind Michael Ross who just ate up everyone with his monster underwaters on the first 100.

Last up for me today was the men's 200 free relay. I had a gap between the back and the relay which allowed me to grab some food and watch my team mates who all did awesome. We had a lot of swimmers in every event and I got some great photos for our team website. As the relays approached I did yet another warmup and felt pretty good. As our team assembled I went to put on my goggles and noticed that the clip on the back of the speedo vanquishers had snapped and had to do a quick knot to avoid any mishap. Luckily it was the clip and not the side which would have meant completely broken goggles with no time to get a replacement pair since my stuff was over in the indoor pool. It was crowded behind the blocks which made staying relaxed and loose difficult but we managed it. I was on lead off since the other guys had either swum the individual 50(Scott Heber and Mark Cox) or had led off a mixed relay yesterday(Scott Carpenter). Off the start my hands came apart but I quickly pulled them back together and did not loose too much. I no breathed the first 25 turned and double dolphin kicked and broke out well, however my right hand hit a wave and my first stroke was very short and deep. I still felt good and ended up coming in at 22.36 which is another masters best. I am pretty sure with a few minor changes I can go under 22 from a flat start 50 but I will leave that for another day. Scott a Carpenter was 2nd and went 22.4, Mark Cox 3rd with a very fast 21.9 and Scott Heber closed with an incredible 21.4. We had good take overs but Scott Heber's start in particular was unbelievably quick. We missed the National record by .4. Between Scott Carpenter almost missing the wall on his turn and my couple of mistakes I really think we could have been under the record. We won by some distance against a very fast Rice team. This was SO MUCH FUN! In fact all four of us were not even back to the indoor pool before we started talking about other meets to go for the record again.

Tomorrow I get to sleep in and I close the meet with a mixed medley relay, the 100 free and the 50 back. Should be more fun tomorrow.

Submit "USMS Spring Nationals - Day 2" to Digg Submit "USMS Spring Nationals - Day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "USMS Spring Nationals - Day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "USMS Spring Nationals - Day 2" to Google

Comments

I wish I could've watched your whole relay, but we were too busy battling it out for 8th to 10th place in the heat. I did see you swim the lead off leg and you looked awesome.

The 200 backstroke was a fun race to watch. You made up ground on Mike Ross on top of the water, but, as you noted, his underwaters are so powerful. If you race that this summer in LCM, you should be unstoppable.
    Sounds like you guys smoked that relay!! Great job on your events, Stewart! Sounds like a pretty good weekend overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Sounds like you guys smoked that relay!! Great job on your events, Stewart! Sounds like a pretty good weekend overall.
    All things considered it was a good Nationals. i think you know how badly I wanted to win the 200 and 500 free but alas that was not meant to be. The great thing about masters is there is always next time.

It it was great fun and our team did awesome. We placed 9th in the men's ranking and 24th overall. Not bad for a team that had 2 swimmers at nationals just two years ago.
    great relay
    nice 2bk