View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sat-Sun, May 2-3

Rate this Entry

Saturday:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ LA Fitness

Warm up:


600 various
100 scull
5 x 50 smooth free w/paddles
50 EZ

Main Sets:

16 x 50 @ 1:00
-- Note: I am just referring to 50s as a 50, not 47.2 yards. I'll whack some yardage off when I flog it. Way too hard to figure out what my sets actually were in a 23.6 yard long pool ...
odds = 100 pace
evens = EZ
100 EZ

3 x (10 x 25 @ w/fins 100 pace) + 100 EZ
-- dolphin kick, flutter kick, breast

4 x 25 @ 100 pace
-- I was going to do another set, but one of my swimmers showed up, so I stopped to chat.
50 EZ

8 x 25 w/chute, paddles & fins @ 1:00
50 EZ

5 x 50 free w/paddles @ 1:00
50 EZ

Total: 3450

Then, I went home and did a 3 mile walk jog on the treadmill.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Sunday:

Drylands:


rehab ex
deadlifts, 65 x 4 x 8
seated row, 70 x 4 x 12
tricep press, 70 x 4 x 12
bulgarians in a streamline, 2 x 10 each leg
eccentric fall backs, 50 x 3 x 12
straight arm dips, 80 x 3 x 25
hib adductors, 100 x 43 x 8
power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
planks, 5 x :30


Vinyasa Flow, 75 minutes

Thankfully, this session didn't have an interminable amount of lunges. Today's nugget: something about chakras and the belly being the source of self esteem. Huh.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Today, I managed to get two workouts in sandwiched around Lil Fort's soccer game. It was pretty exciting -- she scored the only goal and game winning goal with about :20 left in the game. I'm not sure weights and yoga are the best combo; swimming and yoga might be better. I feel pretty beat from all the drylands.

Submit "Sat-Sun, May 2-3" to Digg Submit "Sat-Sun, May 2-3" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat-Sun, May 2-3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat-Sun, May 2-3" to Google

Comments

  1. Karl_S's Avatar
    Note: I am just referring to 50s as a 50, not 47.2 yards. I'll whack some yardage off when I flog it.
    Definitely. Think of 2 lengths as a "50" and count that way, then just multiply the total by 0.944 for FLOG purposes. I did a similar thing last year when training in a 49 yard pool, the designers of which apparently studied math at the same place as the developers of your short pool. It's funny though, I actually really like training in the 49 yard pool. I call it "long-course yards". There is a 22-yard pool at a nearby country club where I swam years ago, a length that is less satisfactory. As an added annoyance, they had a 24 minute restriction unless there was an empty lane. With only 3 lanes that did not happen often. It was a good place to teach a 4 year old to swim though.
  2. aztimm's Avatar
    Today, I managed to get two workouts in sandwiched around Lil Fort's soccer game. It was pretty exciting -- she scored the only goal and game winning goal with about :20 left in the game. I'm not sure weights and yoga are the best combo; swimming and yoga might be better. I feel pretty beat from all the drylands. .
    Congratulations to Lil Fort!!! I'm sure everyone on her team was excited for her!!!

    Thankfully most of the pools I swim in are of the normal variety. I remember swimming in a pool in London that was 33-1/3 yards (or maybe it was meters, I don't remember). I ended up just counting the lengths and figured out the total distance after, as it became way too much thought doing it while swimming.

    I just started back on drylands 2 weeks ago. Was super sore most of last week, but thankfully I'm mostly over that initial burst. As of yet it hasn't been that much, but perhaps I'll include it in my workout blog soon.
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Definitely. Think of 2 lengths as a "50" and count that way, then just multiply the total by 0.944 for FLOG purposes. I did a similar thing last year when training in a 49 yard pool, the designers of which apparently studied math at the same place as the developers of your short pool. It's funny though, I actually really like training in the 49 yard pool. I call it "long-course yards". There is a 22-yard pool at a nearby country club where I swam years ago, a length that is less satisfactory. As an added annoyance, they had a 24 minute restriction unless there was an empty lane. With only 3 lanes that did not happen often. It was a good place to teach a 4 year old to swim though.
    Thanks for the multiplier!

    How on earth did they arrive at a 24 minute restriction? That's almost as random as the 49 yards. I practiced in a 50 yard pool for much of the summer when I was young.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Congratulations to Lil Fort!!! I'm sure everyone on her team was excited for her!!!

    Thankfully most of the pools I swim in are of the normal variety. I remember swimming in a pool in London that was 33-1/3 yards (or maybe it was meters, I don't remember). I ended up just counting the lengths and figured out the total distance after, as it became way too much thought doing it while swimming.

    I just started back on drylands 2 weeks ago. Was super sore most of last week, but thankfully I'm mostly over that initial burst. As of yet it hasn't been that much, but perhaps I'll include it in my workout blog soon.
    Thanks! She got a lot of hugs.

    Please add your drylands. Most people don't blog them, and I'm always curious to see what others are doing.
  5. Karl_S's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks for the multiplier!

    How on earth did they arrive at a 24 minute restriction? That's almost as random as the 49 yards. I practiced in a 50 yard pool for much of the summer when I was young.
    Who knows where these crazy numbers come from? 24 mins is 2/5 of an hour, so with 3 lanes they can accommodate 15 swims of 24 minutes each in 2 hours.