View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Frisco Ford Aquatics Long Course Meet

Rate this Entry
My daughter and I had meets today, so my wife and mother went with my daughter while I went on my own. My daughter had the tougher of the two meets with me entered in 50s and a 200IM while my daughter was entered in the 100,200 back, 100,200 fly and 100,200 breast. I arranged to meet a couple of my team mates and car pool together to frisco which is about a 40minute drive from rockwall.

The Frisco pool was similar to Mr Unruhs pool at Nitro in Austin where the outside windows roll up like a garage door which allows for a nice cross wind. The pool was a 6.5 ft deep Myrtha pool but the lanes were very narrow.

I did about a 1200m warmup and then swam fly,back,breast and free. There were very few entries and as such the events went very fast and almost as soon as I was done with the breast the 200IM was getting on the blocks and I chose to skip the IM. Despite this one no show I had a good day and was pleased with all my events going:

28.4 fly
30.06 back
33.98 breast
25.8 free

Despite being very happy with all these swims I have a lot of room for improvement. In particular the fly I hit both lane lines with my arms. Off the start I hit my left hand pretty good and then clipped the lane line with my right hand towards the end of the 50. I felt like my back was a good swim and had a much better start than I had at nationals but was a little miffed I did not dip under 30. Considering I went 30.0 at worlds this is a great time for me and gives me a lot of hope to go well under 30 when rested and shaved. The breast was probably the biggest surprise. I had a really good start and felt really good through about 30m where I felt the guy in the next lane and tried picking up my tempo which caused me to loose my great pull and the last 20 felt quite rushed. I had a great start on the free and was clear of everyone else by 25. I felt like I lost a little focus on the second 25 and did not finish very well. This is the fastest I have been unrested as a masters swimmer. I also really enjoyed this one because I had a 19,21 and 31 year old in my heat and it's always nice to whoop up on the younger guys. My only regret is I could not do the 200IM but I will do it at another meet.

Submit "Frisco Ford Aquatics Long Course Meet" to Digg Submit "Frisco Ford Aquatics Long Course Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "Frisco Ford Aquatics Long Course Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "Frisco Ford Aquatics Long Course Meet" to Google

Comments

All right, looking at these times, I think you should NOT swim any IMs until I turn 50 in a couple of years

Those were very nice swims in what sounds like sub-optimal racing conditions. Good on ya
    Stewart, You frequently report doing a "90/45/15" exercise as part of your weights/drylands work.
    You described it here: http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?359...k-136-Thursday
    like this,
    The 90/45/15 was really hard and I found it much harder going back up than down. This is legs together in an extension at 90 degrees to your torso for 10 seconds, lowering the leg extension to 45 degrees and holding for another 10 seconds, lowering the legs to 15 degrees and again holding for 10 seconds, then going back up.
    As I understand it, you are lying on your back when you do this, correct? From what I understand, you start with you feet above your hips with your legs and backbone at a 90 degree angle. You then lower your legs so that you legs and backbone form a 135 degree angle, then lower your legs again so that your legs and backbone form a 165 degree angle, then work your way back up to 90 degrees?
    I tried this and it seemed pretty reasonable. In fact, it seemed sufficiently "easy" that I figured I must be doing something wrong. Not that it was easy, but I expected worse.

Or are you doing this while hanging from a chin-up bar? You start in an "L hang" then drop your legs so that you legs and backbone form a 135 degree angle, then lower your legs again so that your legs and backbone form a 165 degree angle, then work your way back up to to the L-hang. I can see that doing this exercise when hanging from a chin-up bar would be very very tough.

Please clarify the proper technique.
    Updated June 20th, 2015 at 07:58 PM by Karl_S
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Stewart, You frequently report doing a "90/45/15" exercise as part of your weights/drylands work.
    You described it here: http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?359...k-136-Thursday
    like this,

As I understand it, you are lying on your back when you do this, correct? From what I understand, you start with you feet above your hips with your legs and backbone at a 90 degree angle. You then lower your legs so that you legs and backbone form a 135 degree angle, then lower your legs again so that your legs and backbone form a 165 degree angle, then work your way back up to 90 degrees?
    I tried this and it seemed pretty reasonable. In fact, it seemed sufficiently "easy" that I figured I must be doing something wrong. Not that it was easy, but I expected worse.

Or are you doing this while hanging from a chin-up bar? You start in an "L hang" then drop your legs so that you legs and backbone form a 135 degree angle, then lower your legs again so that your legs and backbone form a 165 degree angle, then work your way back up to to the L-hang. I can see that doing this exercise when hanging from a chin-up bar would be very very tough.

Please clarify the proper technique.
    you described it correctly and I don't do it from a bar. Maybe it's the other exercises that make this feel so hard for me. I am now upto 6 rounds of abs where each round is 5 minutes. I find the going back up particularly hard which makes me think I may have a lower ab weakness. I am getting better at it but it's still an effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    All right, looking at these times, I think you should NOT swim any IMs until I turn 50 in a couple of years

Those were very nice swims in what sounds like sub-optimal racing conditions. Good on ya
    i don't think you have much to fear on the IM front but I plan on playing around with some events over the next year or so that I don't normally swim. Surprisingly I really enjoyed the 50 breast. I feel like I could muster a pretty good 50 fly but need some speed work over the first 25.

Thanks Patrick and good luck at your meet tomorrow. Swimming at altitude is never easy but hopefully you will have some fast fun.