View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 06/24/15: OW

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
As promised, I was able to make it down to the Berkshires to join the Simon's Rock group for their Wednesday night swim. Tonight we splashed at Laurel Lake, which is about 75 minutes from home and one that I have not yet visited. Lena and Preston came along, dropping me off at the beach and heading out to explore while we swam.

There were ten of us in total, including some new faces and a first time OW swimmer. I managed to attach the GoPro camera to my safe swimmer buoy but as I suspected there was little balance so it is a wild ride to watch!
I did manage to get some decent shots when I was not swimming, although I discovered that water on the housing can distort the picture ...

We headed southwest from the Lenox Town Beach with our buoys on and John's wife yaking, towards a beach rought 1/3 of a mile away. After a quick break, we made our way towards the large green field on the far end of the lake, following the southerly edge until we hit the shore. After another short break we aimed back to the start along the northerly edge, completing a total of 1.37 miles in just over 58 minutes.

As you can see from the pics, the water was not too choppy (especially on the way back) and the sky was so blue. The moon was hanging out among the vast blue canopy, and just some soft fair weather clouds drifted by the horizon. Air temp was about 75 with the water at 69...simply refreshing!

We did not join the group for a potluck afterwards, instead starting the trip back home. It was weird not having Brent join us as he is off in Germany, but I love the camaraderie that this team exudes and the fact that they let me tag along! Here's to more adventures in the Berkshires this summer!

Submit "Workout 06/24/15: OW" to Digg Submit "Workout 06/24/15: OW" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 06/24/15: OW" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 06/24/15: OW" to Google

Updated June 25th, 2015 at 12:55 AM by rxleakem

Tags: berkshires
Categories
Swim Workouts , Open Water

Comments

Enjoyed your post! I'm doing open water swims with a group Tuesday nights (weather/water conditions permitting), and it's so enjoyable, especially on hot days when I can jump into some nice cool water! The security of the pool isn't there, but at the same time, there's so much beauty around that it gives me a different kind of security! Tonight I have an open water race (just 800m--part of a series of races). I'm not fast, so these are about working on skills and trying to improve. I still get anxious if people crowd too close, but I'm working on that!
    Thanks Fish. OW is a different world, just remember to breathe and stay within yourself. I take every chance to practice sighting, play with stroke based on the conditions, and explore the depths! Most importantly, have fun