View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed-Thur, July 15-16

Rate this Entry
Wednesday:

Went to heated power yoga for 75 minutes and did a 3 mile jog. Yoga was a bit of a struggle. I'm used to much colder weather now.

Thursday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

500 various
100 scull
3 x w/fins
4 x 25 shooters @ :45
1 x 50 EZ @ 1:00

Main sets:

3 x
4 x 25 burst SDK + cruise @ 1:00
1 x 50 EZ @ 1:00
extra 50 EZ at end of set

Then I modified (to make much easier) a set that I gave my team last night:

4 x 25 smooth fly w/fins @ :30
:30 rest
4 x 50 dolphin kick, descend to 200 pace @ 1:10
1 x 50 EZ @ 1:30
4 x 25 smooth back
4 x 50 back kick, descend 1-4 to 200 pace @ 1:10
4 x 25 breast @ :35
4 x 50 dolphin kick on back, descend 1-4 @ 1:10 (didn't feel like doing breast kick)
4 x 25 smooth free
4 x 50 flutter kick @ 1:10, descend 1-4 to 200 pace
1 x 100 EZ

5 x 50 smooth free w/paddles @ 1:00
50 EZ

Total: 3300

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yikes, I am really suffering from jet lag. I have little trouble flying east, but really struggle flying west. I know that is the opposite of most people, but so it is. Between jet lag and being very out of shape, even my easy workout was a bit of a challenge. I've heard/read that as you get older, it takes longer to get back in shape after a layoff. So I am prepared to be patient. I wasn't exactly lazy on vacation though. According to my iPhone app, I was walking between 7-14 miles per day. I actually lost a few pounds, which typically happens when I stop my regular training. Now I need to get back to the gym!

Submit "Wed-Thur, July 15-16" to Digg Submit "Wed-Thur, July 15-16" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed-Thur, July 15-16" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed-Thur, July 15-16" to Google

Updated July 17th, 2015 at 10:35 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running , Yoga

Comments

I am really suffering from jet lag. I have little trouble flying east, but really struggle flying west. I know that is the opposite of most people, but so it is.
    That's been my experience. I think a lot of this east-west thing, though, is psychological ... at least for me ... as when I go on exciting trips (e.g., Europe, India), I am usually traveling east and am "pumped" and energized for the trip. I think that adrenaline and excitement helps to mask the actual jet lag my body is experiencing. When I head back west and return home to "real life," as stimulating as my life is, there's just not the same energy level (e.g., vs. a vacation) and the normal physiological effect of jet lag are made even worse since I probably "pushed through" the jet lag on the trip itself. I was a virtual zombie for two weeks last fall after coming back from a mere week in India.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's been my experience. I think a lot of this east-west thing, though, is psychological ... at least for me ... as when I go on exciting trips (e.g., Europe, India), I am usually traveling east and am "pumped" and energized for the trip. I think that adrenaline and excitement helps to mask the actual jet lag my body is experiencing. When I head back west and return home to "real life," as stimulating as my life is, there's just not the same energy level (e.g., vs. a vacation) and the normal physiological effect of jet lag are made even worse since I probably "pushed through" the jet lag on the trip itself. I was a virtual zombie for two weeks last fall after coming back from a mere week in India.

Good luck.
    I'm sure the psychological aspect is a huge component. Though Mr. Fort and Lil Fort seem to be doing much better than me in terms of fatigue. And my difficulty in falling asleep, waking up in the middle of the night, sleep inertia are classic jet lag. I'm just hoping not to get sick like I did coming back from Paris. I have no idea how you and Water Rat do so much traveling and still train well.
    Updated July 17th, 2015 at 10:36 AM by The Fortress