View RSS Feed

After a long rest

USMS Summer Nationals Day 1

Rate this Entry
I have been feeling bad for a week now with a cold and as I blogged earlier this week I was worried I would be unable to swim today. My chest congestion finally started to loosen up yesterday and I felt much better last night. I once again loaded up on mucinex and Alka seltzer nighttime cold medicine and despite not feeling stellar this morning I felt ok.

I had delayed my positive checkin until this morning and made the call to swim the 800m at about 5am this morning. I feel ok in myself but I am unable to clear my chest. I had decided that I would just swim it and not stress out about the swim or my time. I was seeded in the last heat with a few guys I knew; Kurt Dickson, Ramses Rodriguez and Bruce Thomas along with a bunch of young guys I did not know. My plan was to swim a controlled first 400m and then see how I felt.

The guys in lanes 4-7 went out fast including Kurt who is in my age group. At 300m I almost quit but coughed hard coming off the wall and my chest let go. I did not think anything at 400m but noticed Kurt was a body length up on me. At 500m I felt ok and decided to try to pick it up. At the turn at 600m I was ahead of Kurt. I worked hard to not tighten up and focused on my walls and keeping my stroke long. I finished with 9:18 which was an ok time(slower than world's last year) and my splits were great going 4:37,4:40. More importantly I won the 45-49 age group.

The 800 always hurts but this one could have been a lot worse and I am so glad I did not quit at 300m. Somehow I need to find a way to stay healthy before nationals!

Tomorrow I have just the one swim again with the 200m back. This should again be a great race with Kurt Dickson and Lee Lawrence. I hope I feel better and better as the meet goes on.

Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 1" to Digg Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 1" to Google

Comments

That last heat of the 800's was exciting to watch! Great swim
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    That last heat of the 800's was exciting to watch! Great swim
    thanks. It was fun! Are you on deck tomorrow? I would love to come over and say hi.
    Great swim, Stewart! The fact that you were not 100% makes it even more impressive.

The North Carolina guy is Lawrence Lee, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    thanks. It was fun! Are you on deck tomorrow? I would love to come over and say hi.
    The New England Masters banner should be up this morning. Are you over by the Texas flag?
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    The New England Masters banner should be up this morning. Are you over by the Texas flag?
    i did not even see the Texas flag to be honest. I was sitting with some of WaterRats team mates at the 25yd end under the bleachers. I will come find you this morning. Looking forward to meeting in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Great swim, Stewart! The fact that you were not 100% makes it even more impressive.

The North Carolina guy is Lawrence Lee, by the way.
    Maybe it was a blessing in disguise since it took my mind off who I was racing and onto whether I was racing. Either way I am glad I swam.

The wonders of getting old is I can blame those kind things on my age now

Thanks Kirk. I hope your doing well. I look forward to seeing you at some meets next year.