View RSS Feed

After a long rest

USMS Summer Nationals Day 3

Rate this Entry
I learned from yesterday and took some mucinex and an alka seltzer nighttime cold medicine before I went to bed. I slept really well and also felt much better this morning. My chest has been improving everyday since Tuesday and I am now finally feeling like I can breath normally. Today was a much better day! I swam the 100 free and 50 back and I ended up doing personal masters best times in both.

On the 100m free I had a good start and felt good the first length. I was able to get turn second at 50 and went for it off the turn. I was in lane 3 and breath left which meant I did not see any of the other faster guys the second 50. I think in some ways this let me swim my own race and I felt like I swam on top of the water the entire second 50. In fact I did not tie up at all and other than a small drift to the right inside the flags swam a great 100 finishing in 56.39. When I looked up I could not tell where I had finished but was really happy with the time. It turned out I missed first by .09 but was really happy with my time and the execution of this 100. I can honestly say that I did not hurt anywhere near as bad I as I usually do on a LCM 100m free.

Next up up was the 50 back which was about 2 hours after the 100 free. I took a long warm down and even grabbed a small bowl of soup at the pool food court; the food court at the aspire Institute has been awesome with custom pasta, salads, etc. After eating I took a 15minute break and the. Headed down to the pool for a warmup swim. I again felt good and had a ton of time to stretch and get ready for the back. When it was my time for my heat I jumped in and took my set position. I have been doing a split foot start on back for a while with one foot higher than the other because I find I don't go so deep. As the beep went off my right foot slipped and I had a bad start. It was not a missy franklin start but it was not what I had hoped for at all. I sort of panicked with my underwater sdk and when I came up I really spun the first 25 before really hitting my groove at about half way. I saw the guy to my left out of the corner of my eye and was determined to stay ahead of him. As I finished I looked up to see 29.8 and a number 1 by my name. I have been trying to go under 30 for some time and I was stoked. I now wonder what I can do with a good start but right now I am going to savor this one.

Unlike yesterday I felt strong all day! I will take my 2 masters best times from the day along with a 2nd in the 100m free and a 1st in the 50m back.

I was was able to meet several forumites so far and have had fun meeting many of the swimmers I have trained with during my travels this year. I had a lot of fun today and I hope tomorrow will be equally as satisfying. Tomorrow I have back to back the 100m back and the 200m free.

Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 3" to Digg Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 3" to del.icio.us Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 3" to Google

Comments

Wow, fantastic times, Stewart, congratulations!
    Well done Stewart! I think you'll have a splendid day tomorrow too. As for yesterday, 200 back is one of the all time hardest events. Don't fret over that one. Onward!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Wow, fantastic times, Stewart, congratulations!
    Thanks KK. It was a fun meet despite all the challenges it threw at me!

looking forward to swimming with you at the Richardson Corporate Challenge in a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Well done Stewart! I think you'll have a splendid day tomorrow too. As for yesterday, 200 back is one of the all time hardest events. Don't fret over that one. Onward!
    Thanks Leslie. I definitely put it behind me. I don't recall dieing like this in a long long time! The meet was a lot of fun.

I met Jim Thornton in person today which was awesome. He and I share a common alma mater; a fellow Iowa graduate.
    Wow I must have missed something, last I remember I thought you decided not to go to nationals.
    Sounds like you had a great meet, some awesome swims!
    Did you get to enjoy Ohio at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow I must have missed something, last I remember I thought you decided not to go to nationals.
    Sounds like you had a great meet, some awesome swims!
    Did you get to enjoy Ohio at all?
    I ended up going to the meet despite being sick during the meet buildup. I think I had a summer cold and was very congested however got better as the meet went on and as it turned out had a good meet. Only having 1 race on Thursday and 1 on Friday really helped me kick the cold to the curb. As always with me, there were swims I was not happy about but considering I seriously considered not swimming I did great.

I did not really get to do anything outside of swimming. The hotel situation was a nightmare and I spent a lot of time in the rental car driving teammates to and from the pool. That said, it was still a lot of fun.