View RSS Feed

After a long rest

USMS Summer Nationals Day 4

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I took a decongestant and an alka seltzer before laying down at the hotel to watch Senior Nationals from San Antonio last night. I watched Michael Phelps 100 fly but did not last the entire session before I fell asleep. I had a great night of sleep but woke a little congested. After I got up my head and chest drained quickly and I started to feel good. Today I had back to back events which is never easy.

Due to our hotel reservations being cancelled by the spire institute the few of us on our team who traveled to Ohio were all staying at different hotels. Fortunately the hotels were only 40 miles apart! I had arranged with one of my team mates that we would head over early this morning to watch another team mate swim the 400. We made good time but unfortunately we arrived to see the heat after our team mates swimming. After apologizing to my teammate I used the extra time to get a longer than normal easy loose warmup. I probably did 1500 free really easy before doing drills and some open,close 50s in the short warmup pool followed by another 400 in the competition pool. I felt ok but could tell it was day 4. My arms and legs felt a little heavy.

First up was the 100back. My goal time for the meet was a 1:03 but adjusted my goal to just win the race and was pleased that I was able to hold off Kurt Dickson. I ended up going 1:04.9. Other than the 50 back I have not felt my normal self this week and seemed to struggle with back half of my races. I looked at some of the videos one of my teammates shot and my stroke looks fine so I think it's just been my energy level.

I jumped into the warmup/down pool and swam until my heart rate was back to normal before stretching and laying with Myers elevated for about 20 minutes. On the 200 I had hoped to beat my time from Montreal which was a 2:04.6 but I knew I did not have a blast a 200 in me today so instead focused on staying smooth on the first 100 and bringing it home fast. I ended up going 2:06.2 going 1:02, 1:04(give or take a few tenths). I felt really strong on the second 100 and in reality could have gone even harder. I believe I turned 4th at 50 which is not how I normally swim my 200s but I won and I did enjoy the race. The alternative would have been horrible. Maybe I am a whimp and should have swum it harder from the get go. I guess I will never know!

Considering I was worried about even swimming I had a great summer nationals taking home 4 golds and 2 silvers, I went under 30 for the first time in my back, and beat my time from Montreal on the 100 free. Above all of this I continue to have a lot of fun. It was great meeting and speaking to so many masters swimmers. Thanks to those who went out of there way to introduce themselves.

Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 4" to Digg Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 4" to del.icio.us Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "USMS Summer Nationals Day 4" to Google

Comments

thanks for the beatings...see you in Portland and yes I will be your Katie Couric...ha! http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...F3147616390C5F
    Updated August 9th, 2015 at 06:02 PM by Kurt Dickson
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    thanks for the beatings...see you in Portland and yes I will be your Katie Couric...ha! http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...F3147616390C5F
    Thats so funny. It was fun racing and I look forward to next time.
    Great job Stewart!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Great job Stewart!
    Thanks Kirk.

When are we going to have the opportunity to race? I am likely going to be swimming at SPMS in Commerce, CA again in December. I am not sure about both Spring and Summer Nationals next year since in 2017 I would like to do worlds again and I am not sure if my wife will let me get away with all these trips for swimming. She is awesome but I think the swimming stuff gets a little old for her!

I hope our paths cross soon.
    The Northwest Zone SCM meet is in Federal Way this year, so I seriously doubt I'll make it to Commerce. At this point LC Nats next summer is almost certain since it's driveable and SC Nats is a possibility. Worlds in 2017 is definitely on my radar!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    thanks for the beatings...
    You two had a ton of great races!

Stewart, you did great given the lead up to the meet. I hope you are feeling completely recovered by next weekend. Having a taper meet where one is completely healthy and uninjured seems to be rarity as one gets older.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    The Northwest Zone SCM meet is in Federal Way this year, so I seriously doubt I'll make it to Commerce. At this point LC Nats next summer is almost certain since it's driveable and SC Nats is a possibility. Worlds in 2017 is definitely on my radar!
    Well that's a shame but it's hard to turn down a big meet when it's on your doorstep.

Our paths will definitely cross next year and I look forward to racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You two had a ton of great races!
    We really did. I think we were both fighting sickness so it was not a fair showdown but it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Stewart, you did great given the lead up to the meet. I hope you are feeling completely recovered by next weekend. Having a taper meet where one is completely healthy and uninjured seems to be rarity as one gets older.
    Thanks. I agree about the sickness and injuries. It's no fun being sick or injured but what can we do. We do all we can to stay healthy and sometimes life just throws you a curve ball. I hope your finger issue is behind you and you have a healthy and injury free fall season.