View RSS Feed

gull

Test set

Rate this Entry
The Texas Swim Center is closed for a few weeks undergoing routine cleaning and maintenance; while it was still open I took advantage of my taper and swam a PR in the 5K postal (1:12:23.07, a second faster than last year). I am hoping that time will be good enough for a virtual podium finish in my age group.

I really don't enjoy training on my own, so I decided to try out the new Masters program at Brendan Hansen's Austin Aquatics and Sports Academy in South Austin. Nate O'Brien coached this morning; I shared a lane with one of my Longhorn teammates, Andrea, and a pretty fast young guy named Grant. This is a very nice outdoor Myrtha pool which was set up long course. They seem to do a nice job with aeration as the water temperature was pleasant despite daytime temperatures reaching 100.

Warm up:

10 minutes choice

400 DPS (5:45, averaging 39 strokes)

Main set:

Andrea's triathlon coach wanted her to do a test set of 15 x 100 @ 1:30 holding 1:20, so Nate assigned the set to everyone. Some of the other lanes went on slower intervals. I swam behind Grant and Andrea and held 1:20 for all 15 and felt strong. I have used this set many times to assess how well I am training, but I have always swum it in a 25 meter pool.

I skipped the kick set to leave for work.

Submit "Test set" to Digg Submit "Test set" to del.icio.us Submit "Test set" to StumbleUpon Submit "Test set" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments