View RSS Feed

After a long rest

RAM Summer Long Course Meet - Day 2

Rate this Entry
After the meet yesterday we went for a team lunch I had arranged at a local Italian restaurant with a few of our out of town visitors. It was a lot of fun! After lunch I had a nice relaxing afternoon and evening with my wife and went to bed pretty early. I woke up a little later than I had hoped this morning and seemed to be running 15minutes late all the way upto the meet, however it all worked out just fine. I was a little sore this morning but nothing bad. I usually feel a little stiffness on a multi day meet and today was no better or worse than usual.

Once again I did my normal meet warmup and felt good in the pool.

400 free
8x50 catchup on 1min
4x50 open,close, easy,fast
2x50 at 400 pace
200 easy

First up today was the 400 free and my goal was to beat my good friend Mr Unruh's #1 time of 4:28.91. I felt strong the whole way and other than a bad turn at 250 felt great. I finished really strong and was happy with my 4:28.05. looking at my splits, my 2nd 100 was too slow but my second 200 was great. I credit a lot of my consistency to the race pace work we have been doing and will definitely continue to work on this. I may add one more aerobic workout this fall on either Tuesday or Thursday morning but I will speak with Tom.

Next up up was supposed to be the 100 breast but at the last minute I decided to skip it. My legs, and my right one in particular was very sore and stiff and I took the extra time to stretch ahead of the 50 fly. The challenge when you have a meet with low numbers(we had 85 swimmers) the meet goes really fast.

The 50 fly is another off event for me and my real reason for entering this one was to push one of my team mates in the lane next to me, Scott Carpenter. we had a great race and he got me on the finish, going 28.5 vs my 28.6. I had a lot of fun on this one despite my time being a few tenths slower than I went a couple months ago.

Last up up we had the 400 free relay and once again I was the anchor. Step Stone did the 200 back in a new best time the event before the relay so we were able to delay the relay start 5 minutes but it was always going to be a tough record. we needed our first two swimmers to be out in 58.5 and 1:04.0 but unfortunately they were both off. Our young ringer had a great swim but there was too much left for me to do to get the record but my 54.9 split was the best I have done as a master and I felt awesome the whole way. It was disappointing to not get close to the record but it was still a lot of fun and our team did awesome.

I really enjoyed our meet and my team mates had a great time. One of our team held a short after meet party which was a nice conclusion to a great weekend. I am already looking forward to doing the meet again next year.

Submit "RAM Summer Long Course Meet - Day 2" to Digg Submit "RAM Summer Long Course Meet - Day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "RAM Summer Long Course Meet - Day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "RAM Summer Long Course Meet - Day 2" to Google

Updated August 17th, 2015 at 02:22 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

First up today was the 400 free and my goal was to beat my good friend Mr Unruh's #1 time of 4:28.91. I felt strong the whole way and other than a bad turn at 250 felt great. I finished really strong and was happy with my 4:28.05.
    Nicely done! Great way to end your season.
    Yeah, that was a great swim, Stewart. You looked so smooth the whole way... even splits, very nicely done. It was great meeting you too. Back in Waco now... look forward to seeing you guys at future meets in the area.
    Another great weekend of racing, Stewart! Congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Nicely done! Great way to end your season.
    Thanks Patrick. I really enjoyed the meet. I may have to arm twist you to swim our meet next year
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Yeah, that was a great swim, Stewart. You looked so smooth the whole way... even splits, very nicely done. It was great meeting you too. Back in Waco now... look forward to seeing you guys at future meets in the area.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Another great weekend of racing, Stewart! Congrats
    Thanks Mike it was a lot of fun.

It turned out to be a shorter meet due to total number of entrants but I am pretty sure once word gets out it will grow. Our entire team swam awesome and it was great fun.
    4:28.0 is outstanding &
    54.9 is an excellent 100 fr split that's like a 55.6 or so flat start
    way to go
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    4:28.0 is outstanding &
    54.9 is an excellent 100 fr split that's like a 55.6 or so flat start
    way to go
    Thanks Ande. We missed you.....We hope to make this an annual meet so hopefully we will see you next year.