View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

200 miles ytd, 1500 LCM (RAM meet)

Rate this Entry
by , August 16th, 2015 at 07:56 PM (2341 Views)
According to my GTD FLOG, I went over 200 miles for the year today (probably at some point during my 1500 at the meet in Rockwall).

Really enjoyed the meet... they have a beautiful facility there and it's pretty convenient to Dallas. I drove up early this morning (leaving Waco around 5:30) and was able to pick up my son north of Dallas (can't believe he's now a sophomore at UT-D), he's been my reliable lap counter and company on so many drives to meets over the last 4 years, it was a great excuse to see him again. I had to pay him back by taking him grocery shopping afterwards.

From UT-D it was only a 30-minute drive over to Rockwall. I got in for my warm-up around 8:10 and took my time, since I knew I'd have a break before my first event anyway... did about 900 and worked on starts.

GOGGLE SAGA... My old vanquishers, which I'd been using since the start of 2013 SCY season, vanished earlier this summer. I've been experimenting with a couple of other models over the last couple of months because every time I run across a sporting-goods store I run in to check and inevitably they don't have "my" vanquishers... today it was the Dick's Sporting good, for example, which had a bunch of different models but somehow only carried the vanquishers and vanquisher 2.0s in "women/femme/damas." Alas, Pink is not my color. Sigh. Anyway, I tried some starts with the Nike remora I've been using for practice... not too bad, but there was a lot of leaking. They just don't fit my face like a well adjusted pair of vanquishers.

100M... So I got to the start of the 100 (after doing some 25 bursts in the warm-up pool, and another practice start off the blocks during the 10-minute break), and half expected to have an eyeful of water coming into the first turn. I was resolved just to suck it up and swim with one eye open if need be. As it turns out, the start went off and the goggles stayed firmly in place. The aura of the remora? Would I be a sucker for the suckerfish-named goggle in symbiotic relationship with my eye sockets? Final verdict to come. My 100-meter free felt pretty good until about 75 m... then, pain fest. Anthony got video of it (accidentally in slow motion mode), so I got to see it... I held form pretty well, but the thighs were screaming for mercy by the end... I'm not used to swimming that pace after a year of "fitness" swimming. I eked out first in the heat and swam 2 seconds faster than my seed time with a 1:19.xx, which converts to around 1:10 SCY (according to the converter on the Swim-Swam site). This is not bad for me at all; it's basically where I started my last (2014) SCY season.

1500M... Long story (and event) short: 26:29. I would have been happy with anything under 27:00. It wasn't a PR, but it was by no means the worst I've done in the last 2-3 years. My son Anthony said I looked smooth throughout. When I finished Stewart said I was mr. Consistent... can't wait to see the splits. It's something to build on; and now I know where I am after a year out of competition.

Great to finally meet Stewart and some of his teammates; they had some great swims... really fun to watch!

FINAL VERDICT on the suckerfish goggle? Well, for me it just sucked! It probably works great for some, but I had all kinds of trouble in the first 500 of the 1500 with it (as I have in practice). Had to roll over on my back a couple of times to clear them out and adjust on the fly (using some open water skills here). So I'm going back to vanquisher. I know Nike and Speedo were lining up for my endorsement (not!)... in good conscience I'll have to turn down that big offer I know Nike was going to make for this middle- to back-of-the-packer. Ha, ha. If it's any consolation, Remora, you were the best of the rest of the goggles I tried this summer, and whose names I won't mention here. Of course, as my wife always says... "sounds like a user error to me." Hmm... saga continues.

Submit "200 miles ytd, 1500 LCM (RAM meet)" to Digg Submit "200 miles ytd, 1500 LCM (RAM meet)" to del.icio.us Submit "200 miles ytd, 1500 LCM (RAM meet)" to StumbleUpon Submit "200 miles ytd, 1500 LCM (RAM meet)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Alex, thanks again for coming up to Dallas and it was great meeting you and your son; you have a lot to be proud of, he is a great young man counting for his father.

On the goggle front I too use vanquisher goggles since they are reasonably priced and have my prescription in the optical goggles. My only real complaint is that they don't offer a mirror option which would be ideal for swimming backstroke at outdoor meets. Swimoutlet.com usually offers them at great prices.

See you at the next meet.
    I have seen some vanquisher mirrored versions for women if I remember correctly, but yeah, I just need to go on line... excuse to get some other swim stuff too!
    Sounds like a great day of swimming despite the goggle issues. Glad that your son was able to help out...I cherish any excuse for a visit these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Sounds like a great day of swimming despite the goggle issues. Glad that your son was able to help out...I cherish any excuse for a visit these days.
    Yeah, it was a great day. Bribery works well with the college-age crowd, but I'll take it!