View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Racing Rust, Columbus Day Classic, Oct. 10

Rate this Entry
by , October 11th, 2015 at 12:18 PM (1764 Views)
It was good to be back in the saddle -- nice pool, well run meet. But, wow, did I make a lot of technical miscues on my races. Definitely some serious racing rust. Out of curiosity, I checked my blog to see how many races I'd swum in the last year or so. Not many. Exactly 9, with a 10th aborted for a cramp since April 2014. Lots of reasons -- two long summer holidays, injuries, living in Pittsburgh. I need to correct this if I want to have a good 2016. Racing makes you better at racing.

50 free, 25.8

The only good part of this race was that I got off the blocks fast. I didn't have a very tight streamline on the start, breathed too early and had to take a second breath before the turn. I also glided into the turn too much and lost some momentum. I executed the Lochte style turn pretty well, but felt like I had no legs the last part of the race. I probably need to work on my flutter kick more. I'm not sure the Lochte turn will help my 50 free that much. I've invested a fair amount of time in working on my side SDKs for my freestyle flip turn. But I should probably try it again at the Sprint Classic.

50 back, 28.3

I was a little flat on the start. My SDKs petered out a bit on both lengths, probably due to leg fatigue. I felt like I was spinning my arms a bit and botched the finish. I hit the flag at a half stroke and should have taken another stroke at the finish. Not a great time. But this was also likely a side effect of having done very little sprint backstroke while swimming outside all summer long.

50 breast (split in 100), 34.0

I was too tired to do an all out 100. It was a fast moving meet. So I opted for a 50 split. I felt like I had a great start. I just botched the finish again with a ridiculously long glide to the wall. If I had taken another stroke, I would have been a 33 high. Still this is the same time I did last year with way more rest. So it's quite respectable for right now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't expect to be exceedingly fast at my first meet back, so these times are fairly solid. I hadn't rested much, and my legs were tired. I also had a hellishly long drive to DC in pouring rain with long delays on I70 due to multi car accidents, which didn't help matters. A sprinter friend also suggested that I might be a little "overtrained" for 50s. True, I haven't been training like Doug and Steve. But I think more rest would make me faster. In any event, I am planning on some 100s for my age up year, so need to do some training for those now too.

I dashed back right after the meet to make it home in time to send off Lil Fort to her homecoming dance. She had been in Ohio for a XC invitational, posting a season PR, so was in good spirits. I almost didn't make it bc of the Ft. Pitt bridge closure and detour. The parkway and bridge closures here are the bain of my existence!

Looking forward to more racing at the Sprint Classic!

Submit "Racing Rust, Columbus Day Classic, Oct. 10" to Digg Submit "Racing Rust, Columbus Day Classic, Oct. 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Racing Rust, Columbus Day Classic, Oct. 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Racing Rust, Columbus Day Classic, Oct. 10" to Google

Updated October 11th, 2015 at 06:36 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Those are solid times Fort, at or near the best in your age group this year and last. Quite good considering time of year and recent workouts. And you're right, lack of racing definitely affects 50s. Best to do them as many times as you can, as there are so many technical aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Those are solid times Fort, at or near the best in your age group this year and last. Quite good considering time of year and recent workouts. And you're right, lack of racing definitely affects 50s. Best to do them as many times as you can, as there are so many technical aspects.
    Yes, I feel like I was in semi-retirement last year, so it may take awhile to get my groove back. I think I will do all 50s again at the Sprint Classic in 2 weeks, except 50 fly instead of 50 back. I probably should get myself to that meet in mid Nov as well ...
    Those are great times for your first meet in a long time. Definitely something to build on. Nice job Leslie.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Those are great times for your first meet in a long time. Definitely something to build on. Nice job Leslie.
    Thanks Stewart. Stepping on the block felt pretty foreign. And no matter what you do in practice, a meet is still different.
    Too bad you didn't get to race that guy next to you for the 100 breast
    But it sounds like you had a good meet!

I'm just curious, do you let the people in the lanes near you know when you're doing a 50 split in the 100? Otherwise they might think, "I'm not going fast enough, or this crazy woman is going all out!"
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I'm just curious, do you let the people in the lanes near you know when you're doing a 50 split in the 100? Otherwise they might think, "I'm not going fast enough, or this crazy woman is going all out!"
    Yes, I always let them know. Don't want to throw off someone else's race. In this case, I also had to explain just what a split request was.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yes, I always let them know. Don't want to throw off someone else's race. In this case, I also had to explain just what a split request was.
    I don't think that I've ever had someone do a split request in a heat with me at a meet. But if someone ever said that, I'd know what it is from reading your blog and the forums
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I don't think that I've ever had someone do a split request in a heat with me at a meet. But if someone ever said that, I'd know what it is from reading your blog and the forums
    Glad to be of service.

I actually hadn't done a split request in many ages. Good to remember how to do it.

I saw that Rich Abrahams just set a world record in a split request. 100 fly in 400 IM. I'm not sure the rest of a 400 IM is the greatest warm down ...