Athens Meet Recap
by, June 6th, 2009 at 10:36 PM (981 Views)
Athens, Georgia is simply a wonderful college town. Lots of outdoor cafes and live music. The greats like REM and The B-52s got their start there. Got there at three on Friday afternoon. Got a nap in and early in the evening, my husband I went into town and walked around until we settled on a place to eat. After dinner, walked dinner off and grabbed a cappuccino at Starbucks.
Pool at UGA is every bit as nice as Auburn's pool. Actually the pool layout is probably even nicer than Auburn's. Classic City Masters put on a fabulous LC meet. Saw CreamPuff there as well as Sabir Muhammed. I missed Sabir's 50 LC free swim as it was right after mine, but apparently he went a 22. As usual, CreamPuff looked awesome on all of her swims.
Decided to be a nut and swim all 5 events so I could get some base times. The first three (50 free, 50 fly, 100 free) were within 45 minutes. By the end I was tired as I got in 5 events right under 2 hours.
Was very pleasantly surprised by this meet. I wore the same type of suit as I did at last year's meet, an FS Pro (I think it was a Pro. I ordered a Pro and the box it came in said it was a Pro, but the tag said FSII. It felt like my Pro from last year, so who knows). The seed times I entered in the meet were my goal times. Below, in the order I swam the events, I have put down my goal time, my time from last year at this meet, and my actual times today.
50 LCM Free
Time last year: 30.56
Time today: 30.56 (Amazing I did the same time as last year!)
50 LCM Fly
Time last year: 33.03
Time today: 32.30 (This shocked me!) Master's Best Time
100 LCM Free
Time last year: Have not done this event since 1995.
Time today: 1:09.00
50 LCM Back
Time last year: 37.14
Time today: 37.19
50 LCM Breast
Time last year: I think I swam this once a long time ago, but don't remember when.
Time today: 44.70 (Yeah, I know. It is not my stroke. I'm at least glad I made the NQT in the event.)
1. The only explaination for the time in fly was the heavy weight lifting I have been doing. I think even two months of it can make a difference. It probably also helped that CreamPuff yelled for me! If she reads this -Thanks again, CreamPuff!
2. I think it has been very helpful for all of my strokes to have gotten some workouts from a coach. This could also account for the drop in the 50 fly.
3. I will definitely swim 100 free at Nationals as I will have more rest than 10 minutes after 50 fly! I should hope I could make a good time drop on this one.
4. Not sure about swimming back at Nationals . I felt like I was drowning. My husband thinks I should do it because it won't be my fourth event on one day. I'll have to think about this one. I have an aversion to not being able to see where I am going.
5. The evilstroke is out for Nationals. I've got to have a little bit of pride.
6. I will need to pick up the training a little bit as I will need better conditioning to swim a decent 100 free.
7. I checked my to see what my times would be in SCY by using the Great Bay Masters online conversion factor. Here is what I got:
50 free: 26.69
50 fly: 28.77
100 free: 1:00.68
50 back: 32.21
50 breast: 39.24
8. This meet really helped restore some confidence in my swimming. I was a little discouraged after Auburn, but this has really picked me up.
9. Most important of all - Thanks to all fellow bloggers and forumites for your encouragement! It has really made a difference in my training!