View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sprint Classic, Oct. 25

Rate this Entry
I'm glad that I made the effort to go the Columbus Day Classic for some racing practice two weeks ago. While I still have technical improvements to make, I felt more prepared to race and my results were much better this time around. I had big drops in the 50 free and 50 breast, a very solid 50 fly and won The Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters. And nary a scratch.

50 fly, 26.41, 1st

This race was well executed and I got off the blocks fast. My breakouts, often problematic, were very good. The only issue is that I finished the race with a foot to go, lol. I had to glide/kick in. But I was definitely correct not to take another stroke. I often swim the 50 fly at this meet and this is equivalent to my fastest time in October ... So I feel like this is an excellent start.

50 free, 25.14, 3rd

I went 25.8 two weeks ago, so this is a big drop. My glaring error in the race was that I breathed at the 2/3 mark on the first length again and felt like I had to take another breath at the flags to power the UWs. I'm like a pavlovian dog who's done it that way for so long that I'm on autopilot. I need to do some all out 25s and decide on a stroke count that will have me breathing at the flags instead. My Lochte turn was better this time around. I took 12 kicks on my back (instead of 10 before) and then 3 to spin to my belly and breakout. It felt really fast, so I think I will stick to this turn for the season. After the last couple years, I never really thought I'd get under 25 again. But this race makes me think that I can with a full taper and good execution.

50 breast, 33.2, 1st

I only had about 30 minutes rest before this race, but I popped out a good one. (Two weeks ago I was 34.0). Execution was about as good as it gets for me in breaststroke. I kept my stroke long this time. Unlike my other strokes, I don't have a fast turnover in breast. When I try to rush it, I seem to go slower. Super happy with this time.

Battle of Drop Dead Sprinters, 1st

I knew it would be a true battle with Fall W. She is the best sprinter in the 45-49 age group and the NR holder in the 100 IM. I figured I had the edge in fly and back and she had the edge in breast and free. I think I won by around .4 with a cumulative time of 51.08. I tried to get everything I could out of my starts and get off the blocks fast.

25 fly, 11.64, 1st

Whoa. I could not believe this time. A huge PR. I would have liked a snapshot of the 15 m mark as I took 1 more kick and 1 less stroke than usual. Perfect breakout, perfect finish, long strokes. Some of the guys were jealous of my time. This 25 probably won the Battle for me bc I had a .7 margin of victory.

25 back, 12.96, 1st

Very good. This might be my first time under 13 with electronic timing.

25 breast, 14.78, 2nd

This is a great time for me. Had a great start and was fast off the blocks.

25 free, 11.70, 2nd

Eh, botched this one a bit, and not my best time. I got off the blocks fast again, but had a really poor breakout and glidey finish. I find it a little amusing that my 25 fly was faster than this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So overall, I am very happy with the meet. My legs didn't feel as tired as at the last meet -- probably bc I had a few days of only easy swimming with not one fast kick or stroke. Interestingly, all of the 50s are under the current 55-59 NRs. I wish I was aging up before Nationals in yards ... My shoulders are sore from all the ballistic sprinting, but I am going to try to hit the gym today.

Results: http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=6957

Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 25" to Digg Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 25" to del.icio.us Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 25" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sprint Classic, Oct. 25" to Google

Updated October 26th, 2015 at 12:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

That's a great meet, seven fine races. And to take down Ms. Willeboordse is quite an accomplishment. Way to go.
    Awesome meet and a HUGE lineup for you.

I haven't been following all the Lochte turn rulings *since I am lucky to take 1 SDK off any wall* -- is it legal in free events, but just not IM events?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    That's a great meet, seven fine races. And to take down Ms. Willeboordse is quite an accomplishment. Way to go.
    Thanks, the meet was a boost after the crappy last year I had.

Fall put on a sprint endurance clinic at this meet. She trains a lot with kids and her fitness level is very impressive. With Fall and Susan Williams aging up to the 50-54 age group in 2016, that age group will be just stacked at nationals.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Awesome meet and a HUGE lineup for you.

I haven't been following all the Lochte turn rulings *since I am lucky to take 1 SDK off any wall* -- is it legal in free events, but just not IM events?
    Thanks Patrick. 250 AFAP yards is about my limit for any one day.

The Lochte turn is illegal in the IMs and medley relay, but not in the freestyle events. I would have liked to try in the 100 IM, but not with the latest ruling. Maybe I'll try the turn in the 100 free someday; I just really dislike the 100 free.
    Great swims, Leslie! Hope to see you blogging about a sub :25 50 Free sometime soon!
    Congratulations on those spectacular performances!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Great swims, Leslie! Hope to see you blogging about a sub :25 50 Free sometime soon!
    Thanks Matt. I think I need a real taper for that goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Congratulations on those spectacular performances!
    Thanks Steve! Making some progress!
    Masters swimming has to be one of the few sports where you wish you were older than your current age

Really nice swim meet. What was the rest like between events. If I recall you were worried that there would not be a good attendance and as such little to no rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Masters swimming has to be one of the few sports where you wish you were older than your current age

Really nice swim meet. What was the rest like between events. If I recall you were worried that there would not be a good attendance and as such little to no rest.
    The last year in your age group can be a bit of a drag. March will be my first meet in my new age group.

The rest wasn't too bad actually. It pretty much followed the timeline. There was only a few minutes rest between the 25s of course. I would hop out, do an easy 50 and line up for the next one.