View RSS Feed

After a long rest

November SCM Classic at the Woodlands Day 2

Rate this Entry
I went out for dinner with a few teammates last night and had a great time. It made for a terrific end to a fun day. I was back at the hotel pretty early and was in bed asleep by 8pm. I got 10 hours of sleep and woke feeling pretty good. When I woke I was still a little tired and had that feeling like it was the second day of an in season meet. I had a nice breakfast at the hotel and ate a little extra food knowing it was going to be a long day.

Despite feeling achy(especially my legs) I felt much better after the warmup and did a little extra yardage which really helped.

First up up today was the 50 free. I went 24.8 which I was pleased with but had hand separation on the start which cost me a little time. I don't know how the true sprinters do the 50. It's so technical and over in a shot which means any mistake is almost impossible to recover from. I also don't seem to get going on a 50 and feel like I should flip and go again I guess I am just not a fast twitch athlete.

I was due to swim the 200 free but decided to skip due to the speed the meet was going.

Next up up was the 100 back and I went 1:02.06. I felt really strong on the first 50 and flipped at 29.8 but was too far away from the wall to get a good push and never really recovered. I did not die but when I was finished my legs burned like crazy. Despite going for a warm down my legs continued to burned for a long time. This one really hurt. I honestly think this swim was as good as my 100 from last year where I was 1:01.4 and without the bad turn I would have been there or there abouts.

Last up up today was the 800 free. I hoped to be between 9:05 and 9:10 today and finished up at 9:09.1 with a significant negative split. I got stronger as the swim went along and regret I was went out way too slow today. This one never really hurt and i felt better after this swim than any other swim today. I am swimming the 800 next weekend and at the Boston meet and hope to significantly drop time next weekend since I have a much shorter program.

I really enjoyed this this meet and it was a lot of fun. All my teammates swam great and despite not doing a full taper the week of rest helped all of us. Our plan is to significantly ramp up our workouts over the next two weeks before a full taper ahead of Boston.

Submit "November SCM Classic at the Woodlands Day 2" to Digg Submit "November SCM Classic at the Woodlands Day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "November SCM Classic at the Woodlands Day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "November SCM Classic at the Woodlands Day 2" to Google

Comments

50 and 800 in one day! Don't know of anyone else that could accomplish that. And very nice times in both.
    Nice swimming Stewart -- the backstrokes across the board were stellar!

Any chance you've got any SoCal or NorCal trips coming up this month? I was bragging to an old Masters guy (80+) about the few training sessions you and I have done together ... and it me want another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    50 and 800 in one day! Don't know of anyone else that could accomplish that. And very nice times in both.
    it was an interesting day for sure. Lots of fun doing both. I have a lot of respect for the shorter events due to the technical aspects but still love my roots in the mid distance events. Ironically I am swimming the Dallas meet at Baylor next weekend and I am only swimming 2 events, the 50 free and the 800 free. I hope to go faster in the 800 but we shall see. Can't wait to taper.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Nice swimming Stewart -- the backstrokes across the board were stellar!

Any chance you've got any SoCal or NorCal trips coming up this month? I was bragging to an old Masters guy (80+) about the few training sessions you and I have done together ... and it me want another.
    thanks Patrick. That was the focus this weekend. I am registered in all the backsrokes in Boston but likely won't do all of them due to the meet lineup. I am entered in the 4IM in Boston also would like to give it a go just to see what I can do.

Unfortunately i don't believe I will be back in California this year. I have a Vegas trip early next month but that's as far west as I will be going. I am actually in Phoenix today but it's a crazy in and out with no time for anything other than work. Sorry. I too have enjoyed every time we have swum together and know there will be more in the future. Safe travels mi amigo.
    Nice job! I personally hate swimming the 100 back untapered. As you experienced, it is a nasty grueling leg burning event better swum fully rested. Based on the NE Champs lineup, it looks like you could swim it again if you fancied. I need to go sign up myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nice job! I personally hate swimming the 100 back untapered. As you experienced, it is a nasty grueling leg burning event better swum fully rested. Based on the NE Champs lineup, it looks like you could swim it again if you fancied. I need to go sign up myself!
    this 100 back hurt way more than normal. I was leg heavy all weekend and think I was in that no win phase of rest. That said I was pleased with my times. I am signed up for all the back events in Boston but likely won't swim them all. I think the back times will be #1 times til the December meets and if it looks like they will hold I will be more selective in Boston on my event lineup.

I was actually planning on emailing you this week about the meet. I harrassed another of my teammates and he registered yesterday. It should be a fun meet. Did you figure out your event lineup?