View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

NE Champs/Zones Dec 12-13

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
by , December 14th, 2015 at 12:04 PM (3715 Views)
I had a super fun weekend at Zones. My RAM teammates are a great bunch of people and very welcoming. And it was fun to hang out with my fellow blogger Stewart. A couple of my PV friends were there as well. My flight was on time and I got to the pool in plenty of time for warm up on Friday before the 1500s. The pool was pretty nice, but the water was shockingly cold. It felt like 76-77 degrees too me. Pitt is usually 80. I'm sensitive to cold water (asthma) and immediately got a calf cramp when I jumped in. I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Lots of people thought it was too cold, and others scratched events bc they felt like they were swimming slowly due to the water temperature. I felt like the water temp affected my first event, and then I grew more used to it. I had a good day on Saturday and a great day on Sunday.

Saturday:

100 back, 1:11.7 (34.8/36.8)

This was my roughest event of the meet. I didn't have a great start (too shallow). This was partly due to the fact that the blocks were on the bulkhead and they didn't make the swimmers exit the pool before starting the next race. Uh, this is fine for forward starts but sucks majorly for backstroke starts. But mostly my lungs felt slammed and I couldn't stay underwater nearly as long as usual. I only took 6 kicks off the final wall, which is awful. I took it out very relaxed, but felt dead/off by the end of the second length. When I finished the race, I could not get any air and it took forever for my heart rate to come down. At first, I thought the race was the product of the lingering effects of mono. But I think the cold water/asthma were factors here as well.

My modest goal was to get under 1:12 (WR in next age group is 1:12.2) and I was hoping to go 1:10. Modest goal accomplished and I feel like I could definitely go 1:10 in better conditions. In any event, I didn't let the somewhat slow time bother me one bit! Swimming that race had two huge benefits: I got the monkey off my back by swimming it and it is the #1 time in the nation this year.

50 breast, 36.91

Back to 50s, whew. I felt like this race was well executed. Got off the blocks fast and had a very good turn. The women next to me went a :35. But Stewart said that I went into the turn a half body length behind and came out a half body length ahead. My time was only a few hundredths off my masters PR, so I was very happy with it. Especially so since I went a dreadful 39.2 at the Albatross meet last March.

200 mixed medley relay, 36.3 breast split

Coach Stewart added up our ages and we were at 199, 1 year short. I had expected to swim the fly leg, but Scott Heber had a major bruise on his knee and wanted to minimize his breaststroke swimming. So I swam the breast leg. Heehee, a lifetime first for me! I had a really safe start and split a 36.3. Was really thrilled with that.

Sunday:

100 IM, 1:10.6, PR

I was a little nervous going into this race after the 100 back, and I hadn't swum this race in 3 years either. I was worried that I had seeded myself too fast and just wanted to get under 1:15 (which was the #1 time going in). But the race went well. I was rather shocked to see the time. My previous best was a 1:11.9. Comparing splits from prior efforts, all the improvement came in the second 50. Steph said that my turnover in breaststroke was slow, but I was worried about dying on free. Laura Val's record in the next age group is 1:12.9, so I am in good shape heading into next year. I think all the IM order 25s that I've been doing really paid off. Was very stoked after this! This is the first time in my masters career that my 100 IM has ever been faster than my 100 back, so I was definitely underachieving on the latter this meet.

50 free, 27.73, PR, .06 off WR

I wasn't anticipating having much rest before this race. The meet was zipping by on Sunday with lots of scratches. Fortunately, the meet directors realized the meet was running too fast and added an unscheduled break. This was huge for me; it gave me time to recover and mentally prepare. I was pretty stunned by my time. Having gone a 28.7 a month ago, the world record wasn't even on my radar. I executed most things pretty well, including my Lochte turn. I was swimming next to Mollie and she said the turn freaked her out a bit. I guess it could be weird swimming free and watching someone dolphin kicking on their back. It was the first time in 50 free where I was underwater longer off the wall than the start. I made two small execution errors. I was a tiny bit shallow on the dive and took one less dolphin kick than I had anticipated. I also took 2 breaths on the second length. At the time, I felt like I needed it ... But that was where I lost the .06. But that did not take the edge off my happiness at setting my second PR of the day. I really had thought that I had gotten to the age where PRs were out of the question. I have to believe all that time on the couch from being sick with mono really helped rest my legs.

Oh, and the Lochte turn is here to stay for me. I don't always do it perfectly, but it is faster and I will get even more used to it over time.

50 back, 30.27 PR/WR

This was my last individual swim in the 50-54 age group in meters, and I went out with a bang. I was pretty tired after 50 free. I really didn't expect to go this fast on my third event of the day. So I was super shocked and super happy to see this time. I originally set my 30.58 WR five years ago when I was 50 and haven't been within a half second of it the last couple years, going a 31.0 last March. But I think my UWs have improved a tad as of late, and I killed them on this race taking the entire 15m on each length. I also decided to take an extra stroke at the finish after having a very very long glide at the Albatross meet. I banged my left hand on the finish and have a nice bruise now, but it was so worth it. Weeeee!

Note: I just realized that my very first and very last swims in the 50-54 age group were WRs in the 50 back. What are the odds of that?

200 mixed free relay, 1:45.1, 27.6 split

I teamed up with Stewart, Scott Heber and Stephanie Stone for this relay. We were all tired; it was the very end of the meet. My legs felt especially dead after 3 events and so much SDKing. I went second, had a safe start and split a 27.6. I felt and had expected to be a lot slower. I was a little deep on my Lochte turn this time. Stewart had a great split too. Then he stepped up and did an 800 free relay right after ... I hit the shower and just enough time to get to Boston to catch my plane. I noticed our relay was not listed in the swimphone results. There was definitely some confusion on the scoreboard about which team was where. So hopefully that will get corrected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After feeling like I've been struggling mentally and physically for two years, this was an extremely gratifying meet for me with 3 PRs and a WR. I feel like I'm back on track and will have a lot more confidence heading into next year. Unless some unanticipated time pops into the database, I will be #1 in 100 back, 100 breast, 100 IM, 50 back, 50 fly and 50 free. 2nd in 50 breast bc a real breaststroker just broke the NR at the San Diego meet. Pretty darn happy with that result, and tickled that the #1s are in all four strokes.

Looking ahead, I think I will focus on the Albatross meet in mid March and Canadian Nationals at the end of May (assuming that is SCM). Stewart mentioned that there is an indoor long course Zones meet at Texas A&M at the end of July. That would really be perfect for me. I don't plan on going to Oregon. We could team up for some very fast relays. Maybe Water Rat will even join us this time. Hint hint.

I didn't get to sleep until after 2:00 am and am just dead from the traveling/racing. I didn't warm down after the relay, so may take myself off to LA Fitness for an easy swim. I'm usually dead for a couple days after a multi day taper meet and this one is no different. But it's nice to have a smile on my face while being exhausted.

Results: http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=6955

Submit "NE Champs/Zones Dec 12-13" to Digg Submit "NE Champs/Zones Dec 12-13" to del.icio.us Submit "NE Champs/Zones Dec 12-13" to StumbleUpon Submit "NE Champs/Zones Dec 12-13" to Google

Updated December 14th, 2015 at 05:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fort you can no longer say "Pittsburgh is a place where masters swimmers go to die!" Congrats on a great meet. It's awesome to see you swimming so fast. Very inspiring for me.

Maybe Water Rat will even join us this time. Hint hint.
    I can only hope you'd have me on the RAM team this summer. I can't make LCM Nats b/c of our summer vacation schedule but the Zone timing could work well.
    There was definitely some confusion on the scoreboard about which team was where. So hopefully that will get corrected.
    Yeah. We were in lane 8 or 9 on that heat (it's all starting to blend together now). Our pad just stopped. I think our 3rd leg kicked it on his way out. I think they're going to need to go the watches for the final results on that one. Ours was a 2:11.44 by the watch, not the 1:55.?? I saw posted on Swimphone this morning.

That bulkhead was a bear to climb out of.

But, after reviewing the results posted, that would have put us last in the heat, which we were definitely not. And I'm doubtful our last swimmer went 33 something. She looked good and I would have expected her around a 29-30. So, I don't know if our timer tried to hit the button and then stopped the watch when he realized it didn't work, or what. :-/
    Clearly lane 4 is missing, too.
    Updated December 14th, 2015 at 01:57 PM by m2tall2
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Fort you can no longer say "Pittsburgh is a place where masters swimmers go to die!" Congrats on a great meet. It's awesome to see you swimming so fast. Very inspiring for me.

I can only hope you'd have me on the RAM team this summer. I can't make LCM Nats b/c of our summer vacation schedule but the Zone timing could work well.
    Thanks Mark! I'm very happy and relieved to have reversed the downswing. You will never catch me claiming that Pittsburgh is a swimmers town ... But I think having Bill as the Pitt coach is huge for me. He gives good workouts and let's me revise to my heart's content. And I have great lane mates there.

If you get Scott Carpenter to come to that meet, you will have some serious men's relays.
    Quote Originally Posted by m2tall2
    Yeah. We were in lane 8 or 9 on that heat (it's all starting to blend together now). Our pad just stopped. I think our 3rd leg kicked it on his way out. I think they're going to need to go the watches for the final results on that one. Ours was a 2:11.44 by the watch, not the 1:55.?? I saw posted on Swimphone this morning.

That bulkhead was a bear to climb out of.

But, after reviewing the results posted, that would have put us last in the heat, which we were definitely not. And I'm doubtful our last swimmer went 33 something. She looked good and I would have expected her around a 29-30. So, I don't know if our timer tried to hit the button and then stopped the watch when he realized it didn't work, or what. :-/
    Clearly lane 4 is missing, too.
    Were you feeling any better by the start of the meet? I hope so.

Yeah, we went a 1:45.1 and that time is nowhere to be seen in the results. I hope they can make sense of the times and fix the problem.

I have a nasty scratch on my shin from that damn bulkhead. It would have been so much easier if the blocks were in the other (deeper) end.
    Were you feeling any better by the start of the meet?
    I felt o.k. Saturday but it wasn't enough rest to get whatever totally gone and yesterday felt pretty terrible and worse still today. I sorta hibernated for the most part, otherwise I would have been more social and tried to meet people. But I hit or bettered my goals for the meet anyways which has me pleased. Thanks for asking.

Enjoy the post-meet glow from your nice times!
    Congratulations on your fast swimming. Weird how water temp affects people differently. I would love me some 76 degree water. Arizona blows because in the summer everywhere I swim is pushing 86 and in the winter all the whiners get them to heat the pool to 84. Never good. Take care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    Congratulations on your fast swimming. Weird how water temp affects people differently. I would love me some 76 degree water. Arizona blows because in the summer everywhere I swim is pushing 86 and in the winter all the whiners get them to heat the pool to 84. Never good. Take care.
    Thanks Kurt. I don't mind temps of 80-82, and actually dislike 84-86 as well. Hard to workout when it's that hot. But really cold water triggers my asthma. I once had an asthma attack during an open water swim in the fall. I was frightened, and now would never contemplate doing another one.
    Great swims and congratulations on the WR!
    Way to go Fort! Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Great swims and congratulations on the WR!
    Thanks Matt! I just realized that both my very first and very last swim in the 50-54 age group were WRs in the 50 back. What are the odds of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Way to go Fort! Congratulations!
    Thanks Steve! Back to the gym now!
    Exceptional weekend with multiple great swims event after event. While I know you do train a lot of HIT, I also think the fact that you do more yardage per workout than many sprint-focused swimmers contributed to your exceptional results in event after event, culminating with that super-sweet WR at the end of the meet.

I'll go on record for the 1000th time saying that I'd love to see what you could do in a 200 IM.

And, maybe you didn't report it, but did you really swim a meet without any split requests??

Great weekend.
    Great meet Fort. Really stellar performance at the top of your age group. Look forward to seeing your path of record destruction in 2016. As the discussion going on in the Forums indicates, PRs can continue.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Exceptional weekend with multiple great swims event after event. While I know you do train a lot of HIT, I also think the fact that you do more yardage per workout than many sprint-focused swimmers contributed to your exceptional results in event after event, culminating with that super-sweet WR at the end of the meet.

I'll go on record for the 1000th time saying that I'd love to see what you could do in a 200 IM.

And, maybe you didn't report it, but did you really swim a meet without any split requests??

Great weekend.
    Thanks Patrick. One reason that I do the "extra yardage" is that I like working out. Doing 800 or so yards in the pool would seem very brief indeed. And I would likely get fat. And it doesn't appear that any of that extra yardage (much of which is recovery swimming) hurt my 50s even one little bit. I guess Doug or Bruce might disagree on that point, but I felt like I had loads of raw speed. And I feel like I need to do something for the 100s. I'm too young to retire from those yet -- except in long course meters.

200 IM ... I do virtually no aerobic work. How does one get through a 200 IM without that?

This was my third meet in a row with no split request! I had had one planned for Saturday morning, but decided less was more and that I would just swim the 50 free on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks Matt! I just realized that both my very first and very last swim in the 50-54 age group were WRs in the 50 back. What are the odds of that?

A rare occurrence it must be! No better way to go into our out of an age group than by putting your name on its list of WR's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Great meet Fort. Really stellar performance at the top of your age group. Look forward to seeing your path of record destruction in 2016. As the discussion going on in the Forums indicates, PRs can continue.

Well, it was nice to reverse some of the declines/problems from the last couple years. (I've though about quitting many times since moving here ...) I knew that I needed to have a good fall heading into 2016.

It wasn't clear to me that Bruce was PR-ing at 57 or PR-ing in his 55-59 age group from that thread. I guess I should ask him. Either way, his times are damn fast. The 10 year streak in the 50 free that you mentioned in your blog is quite inspirational. How much have you slowed down in the last 20?

I thought I was past PRs ... but I guess I may need to re-think that assumption. In any event, I will probably take a "clean slate" approach when I age up. Attempting to stay close to your PRs as you age is a pretty difficult task in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    A rare occurrence it must be! No better way to go into our out of an age group than by putting your name on its list of WR's.
    So true! It makes me happy to think of it.
    It wasn't clear to me that Bruce was PR-ing at 57 or PR-ing in his 55-59 age group from that thread. I guess I should ask him. Either way, his times are damn fast. The 10 year streak in the 50 free that you mentioned in your blog is quite inspirational. How much have you slowed down in the last 20?

I thought I was past PRs ... but I guess I may need to re-think that assumption. In any event, I will probably take a "clean slate" approach when I age up. Attempting to stay close to your PRs as you age is a pretty difficult task in and of itself.
    I assumed we were referring to "PRs since resuming masters swimming," which from the database looks like was 44 for you, 52 for Bruce, and 53 for me. I guess you are indeed setting all-time personal bests, including college, which doesn't surprise me given your focus on sprinting and SDK. And perhaps Bruce is as well, since he was formerly a distance swimmer. He's definitely going faster at 57 than 52.

I swam intermittently after college up until age 38, and actually did my lifetime best 50 free and fly times when I was 35 and found my first sprint coach. Didn't compete ages 39-52.

Your focus, strength, SDK, and enjoyment of the sport will carry you to multiple new PRs. Hell, just swimming in 80 water will get you a couple of tenths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    I assumed we were referring to "PRs since resuming masters swimming," which from the database looks like was 44 for you, 52 for Bruce, and 53 for me. I guess you are indeed setting all-time personal bests, including college, which doesn't surprise me given your focus on sprinting and SDK. And perhaps Bruce is as well, since he was formerly a distance swimmer. He's definitely going faster at 57 than 52.

I swam intermittently after college up until age 38, and actually did my lifetime best 50 free and fly times when I was 35 and found my first sprint coach. Didn't compete ages 39-52.

Your focus, strength, SDK, and enjoyment of the sport will carry you to multiple new PRs. Hell, just swimming in 80 water will get you a couple of tenths.
    I was definitely speaking of masters PRs. I only swam one year in college (the academics were very challenging and I was burned out). Only my 50s are faster now bc of the SDKs. (Of interest, among my college records were what I now consider real distance events --- 200 IM, 200 fly and 400 IM.).

I was surprised to read the amount of weight Bruce was deadlifting. Having torn my elbow deadlifting years ago, I am a little loathe to delve into max lifting. I wonder what the difference in benefit there would be between being reasonably strong and really working on max strength? I know I've been stronger in the past than I am now ... Years ago in the forum Jazz Hands was a big believer in strength translating to faster 50 times.

So do you think you are beyond masters PRs?

I was just thinking that water at the Albatross meet is usually somewhat on the warm side. 76-77 is just too cold

I was surprised to read the amount of weight Bruce was deadlifting. Having torn my elbow deadlifting years ago, I am a little loathe to delve into max lifting. I wonder what the difference in benefit there would be between being reasonably strong and really working on max strength? I know I've been stronger in the past than I am now ... Years ago in the forum Jazz Hands was a big believer in strength translating to faster 50 times.

So do you think you are beyond masters PRs?
    I think heavy lifting is good, but max lifting definitely runs the risk of injury.

Jazz Hands made us all seem like aerobic trainers.

Maybe I'm delusional, but i like to think there are further improvements. Last 3 years have each been "masters PRs"* and I can imagine better training/technique/diet/conditions/strength. That's the thing about a 50, it's seldom if ever perfect.

*nonsuited
    Updated December 14th, 2015 at 11:59 PM by Doug Martin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast