View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed Dec 23

Rate this Entry
by , December 24th, 2015 at 09:49 AM (1366 Views)
Swim/LCM @ Pitt

Warm up:

500 (did 400)
8 x 50 kick @ 1:15
-- I did 4 regular backstroke, 4 burst+ cruise
-- long course kicking is so tedious
6 x 50 w/fins @ 1:20
-- SDK as afar as you can and then cruise
1 x 100 EZ

Main sets:

16 x 50 (4 fly, 4 back, 4 breast, 4 free w/some instructions) @ 1:20
-- Did the first 12 as odds = 100 pace, evens = EZ, which wasn't that easy on this interval
-- the last 4 I did free w/paddles @ 200 pace
1 x 100 EZ

3 x 200 IM or stroke @ 3:45
No! I did 3 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins
1 = I tried to do 100 fast, but had a terrible calf cramp on the turn so cruised second 50
2 = all EZ
3 = another try at 100 fast. got another calf cramp on the turn, but in a rare instance of non diva like behavior, I tried to finish. Limped in at 1:08
1 x 150 EZ

4 x 25 AFAP + 25 EZ @ 2:00
-- did flutter kick w/board & fins
-- was worried that if I took the fins off, the cramps would get worse, which has happened
-- went 12s on the 25s (there's a rope right at the halfway mark)
1 x 200 EZ

Total: 2950 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Long course is just too ... long. Something felt off with the air/water last night. One of my dr lane mates said his lungs felt odd too. My "SDK as far as possible" were not very impressive. In general, though, I think I need to do more hypoxic work going forward.

My son is dragging me to the gym this am. But I'm feeling pretty beat at the moment ...

Happy holidays everyone!

Submit "Wed Dec 23" to Digg Submit "Wed Dec 23" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed Dec 23" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed Dec 23" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Fort: In your opinion, is it better to do extremely fast efforts (25 fast + 75 float, or 50 fast + 150 float) after a complete day off, or is it better to have done a swim workout the day before, but perhaps a non-HIT workout, maybe something with an aerobic (horrors I know) or technique focus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Fort: In your opinion, is it better to do extremely fast efforts (25 fast + 75 float, or 50 fast + 150 float) after a complete day off, or is it better to have done a swim workout the day before, but perhaps a non-HIT workout, maybe something with an aerobic (horrors I know) or technique focus?
    I like to do the platinum speed work pretty rested. So I would not do an arduous conditioning or lactate tolerance workout the day before. (Rather, do that the day after.) You could probably get away with more mellow aerobic/technique workout the day before. Also, do the pure speed work first thing in the workout.