View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Mon Jan 4

Rate this Entry

Drylands:


rehab ex
ab wheel roll outs w/knees on bosu, 3 x 15
straight arm dips, 90 x 3 x 15
single leg squats on high box, 3 x 6 each leg
zercher squats, 75 x 4 x 6
HS hi row, 140 x 4 x 5
supine backstroke pull on cable machine on yoga ball (legs straight, feet together), 25 x 2 x 8 each arm
pull up negatives, 2 x 5
back extensions w/plate, 25 x 1 x 10 (forgot to do other reps)
explosive leg extensions, 105 x 3 x 15

Swim: 1200 EZ


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm already sore from that! Getting back to drylands after NE Champs has been taxing, especially trying to add a short core session into the routine. I also need to get back to foam rolling and stretching. Didn't even think about that over the holidays.

I've been looking at the meet calendar trying to decide what meets to swim in the next 6+ months. The best options seem to be:

Jan 24: SCY @ University of Buffalo
Feb. 13: SCY @ Miami U of Ohio
Mar 5: SCM Albatross Meet @ Bethesda
Apr 2: SCY Huntington Meet @ Ohio St U
Apr 9-10: SCY Zones @ Mason
Apr 28-May 1: SCY Nationals @ Greensboro
May 20- 23: Canadian nationals (I would only go if it is SCM)
July 9-10: LCM Terrapin Cup @ U of Md (very early start)
July 21-25: SCM, USA Masters Games @ Greensboro (assuming it is USMS sanctioned)
July 30-31: LCM, South Central Zones @ Texas A&M

I obviously can't go to all of these. I can't say that I'm all that excited about SCY zones and nationals since I'll be 54.9. It probably only makes sense to go to one of them. If I went to Zones, there would be plenty of time to re-boot and re-taper for Canadian Nationals. But some of the Pitt folks are actually talking about going to USMS nationals, which might change my thinking ... Though only 3 weeks between USMS Nationals and Canadian nationals is a very short turnaround. Probably inadvisable ... Any thoughts? For now, I'm just going to focus on the first two meets on my list. I really think I should head up to Buffalo bc I don't want to wait until March to race.

Submit "Mon Jan 4" to Digg Submit "Mon Jan 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Mon Jan 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mon Jan 4" to Google

Updated January 5th, 2016 at 05:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

  1. Sojerz's Avatar
    Not sure if Canadian Nationals follows international age group standards. But I think Jim T. told me that for international meets, you age up in the year of your birthday instead of on the day (also not sure of you birthday and if this would make a difference). Lots of choices in only about 7 months! Good luck with picking.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Not sure if Canadian Nationals follows international age group standards. But I think Jim T. told me that for international meets, you age up in the year of your birthday instead of on the day (also not sure of you birthday and if this would make a difference). Lots of choices in only about 7 months! Good luck with picking.
    I am 55 in meters starting now both internationally and in the US! That's why I'm prioritizing meters meets.
  3. jpetyk's Avatar
    I have already committed to the Buffalo meet, provided the weather cooperates. I am using it as motivation to get my butt in the pool.
  4. aztimm's Avatar
    How's the pool at Texas A&M? Looks like it is about 2 hours away from me. I could be swayed to do a LCM meet, especially if the 800 or 1500 is timed well.
    I think most local o/w would be in spring/fall (like AZ), so that shouldn't really interfere.
  5. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    How's the pool at Texas A&M? Looks like it is about 2 hours away from me. I could be swayed to do a LCM meet, especially if the 800 or 1500 is timed well.
    I think most local o/w would be in spring/fall (like AZ), so that shouldn't really interfere.
    Tim, the A&M pool is awesome! It's hard to put any pool higher on the list of best pools than the UT Lee and Joe Jamail Aquatic Center but this pool is a very close second in my opinion. If your looking for a LCM meet relatively close to home in an awesome pool this is the meet for you.
  6. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Any idea how we can find out if it's SCM or LCM. I was in Detroit a couple of years ago and the masters swimmers raved about Canadian Nationals. It would be a terrific meet to travel to.
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    I have already committed to the Buffalo meet, provided the weather cooperates. I am using it as motivation to get my butt in the pool.
    Meets definitely provide motivation. If I didn't compete, I would work out in a completely different way. Hope to see you there. Buffalo can be a mess that time of year. I'm hoping my current cold goes away as well.
  8. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Any idea how we can find out if it's SCM or LCM. I was in Detroit a couple of years ago and the masters swimmers raved about Canadian Nationals. It would be a terrific meet to travel to.
    I know it's been SCM the last couple years ... There is no info posted about the meet except the date on the Canadian Masters Swimming website ... http://mymsc.ca/Competition.jsp?pastmeets=2016. The Pan Am pool is supposed to be fantastic. Mollie went to this meet last year and swam lights out.

    I like the timing of the meet. There are plenty of USMS meets in April. I would prefer if our own nationals was the end of May.
    Updated January 5th, 2016 at 10:07 AM by The Fortress
  9. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    How's the pool at Texas A&M? Looks like it is about 2 hours away from me. I could be swayed to do a LCM meet, especially if the 800 or 1500 is timed well.
    I think most local o/w would be in spring/fall (like AZ), so that shouldn't really interfere.
    Now that you're a Texas man and I'm on a Texas team, we might find ourselves at the same meet.
  10. DodgeRamGuy12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    How's the pool at Texas A&M? Looks like it is about 2 hours away from me. I could be swayed to do a LCM meet, especially if the 800 or 1500 is timed well.
    I think most local o/w would be in spring/fall (like AZ), so that shouldn't really interfere.
    Howdy! I am a student at Texas A&M and swim with a masters team there. I swim at this pool just about everyday. The Texas A&M Natatorium is very nice! Out of all the pools, this is definitely the best one! The LCM South Central Meet is months after my graduation, so this meet could be the last time I swim at the A&M Natatorium unless if I ever move back to College Station in the future. College Station is a nice town to visit and everyone is very friendly here. Can't wait for the meet in July!
  11. The Fortress's Avatar
    University of Maryland has a terrific pool too -- one of my favorites!
  12. Swimosaur's Avatar
    According to info page, US Masters Games in Greensboro already has a USMS sanction # 136-s001. See http://usamastersgames.com/extra.asp?ID=6909 and http://www.usms.org/comp/event.php?M...20160721usampS

    I should read this blog more often
  13. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur
    According to info page, US Masters Games in Greensboro already has a USMS sanction # 136-s001. See http://usamastersgames.com/extra.asp?ID=6909 and http://www.usms.org/comp/event.php?M...20160721usampS

    I should read this blog more often
    Do you think you'll attend that meet?

    Very tempting, but I will probably go to the Texas meet instead to do some LCM 50s and relays with my RAM teammates.