View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tues Jan 12

Rate this Entry
by , January 12th, 2016 at 06:20 PM (2159 Views)
Drylands:

rehab ex
good mornings, 75 x 4 x 5
kneeling ab crunches, 150 x 1 x 8, 160 x 3 x 8 (the weight on this machine seems wrong to me ...)
single leg squat on high box, 3 x 6 each leg
straight arm dips, 90 x 3 x 15
deadlift, 80-85 x 4 x 6
altitude drops, 5
altitude drops + squat jump, 5
star jumps, 5
resisted standing broad jumps, 30 x 3 x 5
face pulls, 60 x 4 x 12
hip abductor, 130 x 4 x 4
hip thrusters, 35 x 3 x 10

3 miles on treadmill

20 minutes of foam rolling & stretching

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hit the gym today. I meant to do an easy 1000 afterward, but forgot to bring my swim stuff. I laid off most upper body exercises to give my bicep tendon a break. I think that I overdid the TRX planking exercises - too many in one session perhaps. Something to remember for the future.

Submit "Tues Jan 12" to Digg Submit "Tues Jan 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues Jan 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues Jan 12" to Google

Comments

My bicep tendon's have been sporadically nagging me for years. Negative eccentric curls with light to moderate resistance has been an excellent tool. Interestingly, I have to avoid doing curls with band resistance - this may result in chronic pain
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    My bicep tendon's have been sporadically nagging me for years. Negative eccentric curls with light to moderate resistance has been an excellent tool. Interestingly, I have to avoid doing curls with band resistance - this may result in chronic pain
    Thanks for the tip!

Eccentric exercises seem to be great for tendon healing. Mine has been bothering me for a couple years and my last MRI showed "extreme degradation" of the tendon. I should have been more careful with the planking. As always, the mind wants to do more than the body wants to do!
    As always, the mind wants to do more than the body wants to do!
    You too eh!? This phenomenon has been really exasperating me recently. Since when did my body get the right to dictate how hard/often I can train? I thought that responsibility fell to my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    You too eh!? This phenomenon has been really exasperating me recently. Since when did my body get the right to dictate how hard/often I can train? I thought that responsibility fell to my brain.
    It's completely annoying. There are lazy people everywhere. We (on the other hand) are super motivated and yet can't train to the extent of our motivation ... Now that I have more time, I would doubles every day if I could. Haha. On the rare day that I do a double, it floors me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Now that I have more time, I would doubles every day if I could. Haha. On the rare day that I do a double, it floors me.
    Maybe not doubles, but when I get to the pool I want to GO, not paddle around like a wounded duck, grrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Maybe not doubles, but when I get to the pool I want to GO, not paddle around like a wounded duck, grrrr.
    I had the wounded duck feeling today ... not fun.

I didn't really mean swim doubles. I'd never do that. But I would like to be able to do weights plus a swim more often.
    Updated January 14th, 2016 at 09:47 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I didn't really mean swim doubles. I'd never do that. But I would like to be able to do weights plus a swim more often.
    Yea, I do those occasionally. For fun I just paged through my flog and discovered that during 2015 I did 32 doubles. I was astounded it was that many, but no swim doubles. Mostly a dryland session + swim or a bike ride + swim, and virtually all during the summer, of course, since I am an academic. Good health and time, need more of both.