View RSS Feed

One Stroke at a Time

20 Million Radioactive Particles Later

Rate this Entry
by , January 15th, 2016 at 02:54 PM (3768 Views)
Rice
Lunch Bunch
2 x (300-250-200-150-100) middle 100 of each distance IM. 1:40 base
8 x 50 on 1:05 odds swim/kick IM order evens choice kick
2900 yards

This was my first swim since before Christmas. I was pretty happy to make it through the practice but won't likely be back until next week (my son has a meet this weekend with trials and finals on Saturday and Sunday). I have had a challenging last month. I have known for a while that the tumors in my liver were having limited response to the chemotherapy that I had been getting for the last 2.5+ years. This was a very good run and I'm lucky to have had a response for so long. In early December, I found out that they were slowly growing despite the chemotherapy so it was time to change things up. This freaked me out and I was fairly depressed for a few weeks. I had felt decent and knew what to expect with the medications and was pretty discouraged that I was facing a lot of unknowns again. Changing things up meant, radiation delivered through my femoral artery to my liver directly (called Y90). This involved a screening/diagnostic angiogram followed a few weeks later by the treatment itself. After each procedure, my activity was limited to allow the femoral artery site to heal. I felt pretty crappy too so swimming wasn't really on my radar. Well yesterday enough time had passed and I felt ok so I decided to head back to the pool. There was a pretty light crowd so I had a lane to myself with Lisa swimming next to me on the same interval so I had some company. My strokes felt fine but I was definitely deconditioned. Amanda who was coaching asked me several time if everything was ok. I'll try to get back to 3-4 times a week but will need to build up to that. I was pretty tired last night but slept better than I have been. I'll go back to my oncologist on Tuesday to discuss what's next so keep me in your thoughts (It will take a while to know anything about the response to the Y90 but I'll likely need to start back on some sort of chemo in the next few weeks to month).

Submit "20 Million Radioactive Particles Later" to Digg Submit "20 Million Radioactive Particles Later" to del.icio.us Submit "20 Million Radioactive Particles Later" to StumbleUpon Submit "20 Million Radioactive Particles Later" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm sending 20 million good thoughts in your direction!
    I'm sending 20 million more good thoughts in your direction, Mary. I've thought about you often and am always inspired by your posts.

I really liked your blog a while back about the OTC. It wouldn't let me comment, but I wanted to ask what is the back-story about Cullen Jones and the relay finish?

Jeff
    Just read your intro!! Stay strong and know that you are part of a larger team out here in USMS world!