View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Patrick's Bad Influence, June 10

Rate this Entry
Pulled a "Patrick" today. Got my kids off to school, then fell back asleep and slept until 10:15. No time to workout as I had appointments, sports chauffeuring, lessons, and the usual "summer swim league practice cancelled mid-way due to lightening" events. Probably just as well. I'm feeling pretty beat up after ART and a deep tissue. Couldn't have done any race pace work. I'm commencing a 3 day mini-taper, which will extend into a longer mini-taper next week. I've become pretty convinced that after 4-5 weeks of hard training, my body needs a recovery week. During SCY season, this is typically, and conveniently, before a meet. I've been going 6-7 weeks since Zones -- it's slightly too much even for a hard core endorphin addict. I need a relative break.

I see the entry deadline for LCM Nationals is approaching. I don't have any clue what to enter for my 200 back. I'm not sure if I'll do it as a 200 or get a 50 back split. I guess more likely that latter, as I'm assuming I'll be blasted by the time the 50 rolls around -- it's practically the last event on day 4. So I guess I should enter a slow time, figuring I will be swimming somewhat slowly the last 150? If I then decide to swim it as a 200, I'm sure I'll be yelled at for sandbagging.

My one workout of the day will be trying on the one FINA approved tech suit I have managed to procure in my size. Mini Fort can do the zipping. Although, frankly, it sounds like FINA is endorsing the anything goes for masters ...

Food:

Breakfast: omelet w/cheese & tomatoes, blackberries
Snack: yogurt
Snack: banana, sliced mangos
Snack: 2 bean & cheese taquitos,
Dinner: cheese & chicken enchiladas, kiwi & blueberries; 10% crap = nachos

I seem to need portable food during the day. If anyone has any suggestions ...

Submit "Patrick's Bad Influence, June 10" to Digg Submit "Patrick's Bad Influence, June 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Patrick's Bad Influence, June 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Patrick's Bad Influence, June 10" to Google

Updated June 10th, 2009 at 10:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

No dietary breakdown?
    Did you consume any bon bons while indulging in this Patrick-like like behavior?
    Tsk tsk...skipping a workout? You ought to be spanked Les...
    Well, it is not really sandbagging if you don't have a LCM time to put in. yes, you have a yards time but you aren't always going to do the converted time from yards. Good luck if you do a 50 split or a full blown 200 back.

You earned the skipped workout with all your lifting into swimming combos.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    No dietary breakdown?
    Did you consume any bon bons while indulging in this Patrick-like like behavior?
    Forgot to blog it. lol No bon bons!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud
    Tsk tsk...skipping a workout? You ought to be spanked Les...
    I had two rest days last week too, though I did 9 workouts (5 swims, 4 gyms). I guess I'm a tuckered out Fortress. After about 2 days of resting, I'll probably be twitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Well, it is not really sandbagging if you don't have a LCM time to put in. yes, you have a yards time but you aren't always going to do the converted time from yards. Good luck if you do a 50 split or a full blown 200 back.

You earned the skipped workout with all your lifting into swimming combos.
    Well, I'll get one this weekend. I'll probably just enter that time for Nats. If I go 30 seconds slower and waste everyone's time, so be it.

I do think the lift + swim combo, if repeated multiple days in a row is rather exhausting!
    Sounds like you definitely needed the rest! You played it smart - your body spoke and you listened.

Bananas and boxes of raisins are the only portable natural foods I can think of at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Sounds like you definitely needed the rest! You played it smart - your body spoke and you listened.

Bananas and boxes of raisins are the only portable natural foods I can think of at the moment.
    I do travel with bananas. Sigh, I wish I could get myself to like raisins and nuts more ... I can only do them in a good trail mix. I guess I'll just have to haul multiple pieces of fruit and balance bars along.

It's tricky to tell when you should rest and when you should just push through. But as I thought back over the past year or so, I noticed this 4-5 weeks train hard + rest trend. In the last 12 months, I've had meets in June, July, August, September, October, early December, mid January, mid February, mid March, late April (10).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I do travel with bananas. Sigh, I wish I could get myself to like raisins and nuts more ... I can only do them in a good trail mix. I guess I'll just have to haul multiple pieces of fruit and balance bars along.

It's tricky to tell when you should rest and when you should just push through. But as I thought back over the past year or so, I noticed this 4-5 weeks train hard + rest trend. In the last 12 months, I've had meets in June, July, August, September, October, early December, mid January, mid February, mid March, late April (10).
    You could also try dried pineapple, apricots, and pears. These are delicious.

That is a lot of racing. Are you going to have any more meets after the UMd meet?
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    You could also try dried pineapple, apricots, and pears. These are delicious.

That is a lot of racing. Are you going to have any more meets after the UMd meet?
    I like to have a meet every 4-6 weeks though. Keeps me motivated. And apparently it forces me to rest some. I've never rested less than 3 days for a meet. So it is a break for the body of sorts.

I was planning to swim in Jr. Champs at U Md in July, about 3 weeks before Nats. But only a couple events. Maybe the 50 free and 100 fly. Though I'm not sure on the latter ...

Are you done until Indy?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I like to have a meet every 4-6 weeks though. Keeps me motivated. And apparently it forces me to rest some. I've never rested less than 3 days for a meet. So it is a break for the body of sorts.

I was planning to swim in Jr. Champs at U Md in July, about 3 weeks before Nats. But only a couple events. Maybe the 50 free and 100 fly. Though I'm not sure on the latter ...

Are you done until Indy?
    Meets keep me motivated also. Not sure I would get in and push if I didn't have a meet in the near future.

I don't have any more meets until Indy. Still need to sign up for Nationals. I wanted to think about what events to do before I sign up.

The 50 free and 100 fly sound like good events to do at the Jr. Champs meet. With just two events, you will recover pretty quickly.
    Grapes are very portable; I carry them in my pocket at school and pop one in my mouth every 5 minutes or so to help make it through my long morning. I feel like they keep my blood sugar steady and fight off hunger pains.
    I carry pretzels around (in my car) too. I like carbs and sometimes need some crunch and salt.
    Oh, get some rice cakes! They have some good flavored ones, but I really like regular flavor with a little peanut butter on them.
    It appears that your blog has gained in popularity in my two week absence! How long have you been logging your diet? I should do that, but I'm afraid I would reveal my own weakness!
    I say rats on those who would give you grief about sandbagging...especially for the 200 back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannafly
    It appears that your blog has gained in popularity in my two week absence! How long have you been logging your diet? I should do that, but I'm afraid I would reveal my own weakness!
    I say rats on those who would give you grief about sandbagging...especially for the 200 back!
    I've been logging it since May 28 or so, TJ. Decided to try a "clean eating," "healthy substitution" type diet until Nationals in August. Definitely not trying to starve myself. Most folks seem to think food logs are the way to go to stay honest and detect eating patterns.

How are the grocery stores in Germany?

Yeah, I was really just joshing about the sandbagging. I mostly ignore it, though I wish people would worry about their own times more.