View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

4K in under an hour

Rate this Entry
by , February 1st, 2016 at 10:43 PM (69 Views)
It was a cold, windy and spitting mid-morning when Kurt and I walked onto the deck at Cactus Aquatic Center. In the 20+ lap lanes, there was just one other swimmer and the lifeguards did not look too pleased to see two more. Whatever ... no lightning and warm water, so we got in and cranked through this short rest workout, one that I had written here - http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...Start-Jan-11th - and apparently adapted from a prior workout done with Burlingame Masters

Warmup Sets (1,200)
1 x 200: IM, kick-drill
Get your equipment lined up and ready to roll through the next three straight on the interval - I used a snorkel for all and added the buoy for the 300
1 x 300: on 3:45, free pull, make it (3:31)
2 x 200: on 2:25, free swim, make it (2:19s)
3 x 100: on 1:10, make it (1:05s)

Main Set (2,800 set / 4,000 total)
3 rounds of
  • 1 x 150: no-free IM kick on 3:00, build each 50 to fast
  • 3 x 200: free swim, make these and descend these on the intervals
    • #1 on 2:25
    • #2 on 2:20
    • #3 on 2:15
    • Round 1 - 2:14, 2:112, 2:11
    • Round 2 - 2:12, 2:11, 2:07
    • Round 3 - 2:11, 2:09, 2:05

• 3 x 50: on 1:00, #1 and #3 are cruise free, #2 is BLAST FAST stroke, fly-back-breast by round
    • None of my 'blast fast' were fast

1 x 100: float down with snorkel

TOTAL: 4,000 SCY

Comments:
  • Always great to swim with Kurt and we just plowed through this; it wasn't a 'touch-and-go' workout, but we didn't get a lot of rest. After taking Sunday off, this was a good way to get going.
  • Originally, there was supposed to be a Masters Meet in Mesa over the Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend, but they're not hosting it. That means I've got 5 weeks until we hopefully have the Swim Devil Sprint Meet and then another 4 weeks after that will be our State Championships. Meet flyers aren't up for either of those so I'm not sure what will be offered, but I'm really hoping it will work out that I can swim the 1000 at the Swim Devil meet and then the 1650 at the State meet.
  • Originally, our State Meet was the March 26th/27th weekend, which was going to be perfect as it would have allowed me to see how I did in each of the 1000 and the 1650 before the Nationals entry deadline so I could pick the right one for Friday of the meet.
  • As I won't be able to do that, I'm pretty sure my Nationals line up will be:
    • Thursday - 1000 free
    • Friday - I'm debating just making this a fun day and doing the 50 back and 100 free, but the siren song of the 200 fly is very seductive.
    • Saturday - I figure I have to swim the 500 free and the 200 IM. It's rare the 200 IM is not the last event on Sunday and I can't pass up the opportunity for a good race in the 500 (plus, I'll be in better shape than I was last year)
    • Sunday - With promises to myself to moderate my expectations, much like Saturday, I can't pass up the opportunity to swim the 400 IM.

• Even better than my individual events at Nationals, though, will be the resurrection of "Brundage Swim Masters" and mixed relays with my Dad and my two sisters.

Submit "4K in under an hour" to Digg Submit "4K in under an hour" to del.icio.us Submit "4K in under an hour" to StumbleUpon Submit "4K in under an hour" to Google

Comments

Good swimming with you. I do enjoy pissing off the lifeguards. I got a tentative yes on nationals from scheduler today. I entered the mile. 200 back is damn near the last event (I may have to stay an extra day and perhaps tour the tobacco fields). See ya.
    I think you and I did that workout together in Burlingame with the really fast 200 freestyler. i bet you guys had fun!

i just entered Nationals and can't wait to race you guys in the 1000 and 500. The event lineup was tough and I can't make either the 50 free or the 50 back work.
    siren song of the 200 fly is very seductive
    It really is.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    i just entered Nationals and can't wait to race you guys in the 1000 and 500. The event lineup was tough and I can't make either the 50 free or the 50 back work.
    You may be by yourself in the 1000, if Patrick does the mile. I will endeavor to keep you both honest in the 500 (and 200 back).