View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

LCM, Thursday, June 11

Rate this Entry
Headed to Mason today to get in a short LCM practice. Though I like my regular practice pool just fine, it was a luxury to have 5 digital clocks instead of two (sometimes un-synchronized) pace clocks. Seems to make times and send offs more accurate.

Warm up:

700 variety swim, kick, drill

Aerobic set:

10 x 100 @ 2:00 w/fins
odds backstroke, staying "long"
evens backstroke kick

I noticed that the 5th set of double lights on the ceiling is the 25 meter mark.

100 EZ

Speed set:

2 x (50 AFAP w/fins from push + 150 EZ)

#1 50 fly, went 28
#2 50 back, went 29

I believe these are the fastest 50s I've ever done in a LC practice. Very happy to see these times. We'll see what I can crank out next weekend at the Terrapin Cup in these events. LC fly is hard. I had to take 4 breaths on the 50 instead of my usual 2 (maybe 3) in SCY.

100 C/D

Total: 2300

Planning on a short SCY workout tomorrow. Taking Saturday off and deeking kids and whatnot. Will swim in old Pro on Sunday.

I'm actually feeling more tired than I expected after that short practice. Perhaps there is no easy LC practice ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Food:

Breakfast: yogurt and "bare naked" granola, cantalope, raspberries
Snack on way to swimming: Forgot to bring portable food. Found a balance bar and some Luna energy chews in my swim bag
Lunch: usual salad with the works
Dinner: Salmon, salad w/works, 2 taquitos
Snack: crackers

Submit "LCM, Thursday, June 11" to Digg Submit "LCM, Thursday, June 11" to del.icio.us Submit "LCM, Thursday, June 11" to StumbleUpon Submit "LCM, Thursday, June 11" to Google

Updated June 12th, 2009 at 08:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Glad you got over my bad influence and back in the pool!
    I saw your teaser on Facebook and was looking forward to seeing your set.

GREAT times on those 50s!!!! I'd be happy to get those for SCY.

I agree with you on the LCM 'tired' feeling. It takes me 2-3 weeks to really adjust to swimming LCM. I don't think I'm a great wall swimmer (poor turns, pushoffs, etc), but I must be half-decent. Doing 3k LCM feels more like doing a 3500+ SCY.

On the other hand, since I do run, I find LCM better for my runner legs with same-day/shorter rest between workouts. My shoulders get much more of a workout, and I don't get nearly the cramps in my legs and feet that I do with SCY.

Has your weight changed much since you've been bloggging your food intake? It would be interesting to see if simply putting it out there makes much of a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwbrundage
    Glad you got over my bad influence and back in the pool!
    lol, well, your workouts are a good influence!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I agree with you on the LCM 'tired' feeling. It takes me 2-3 weeks to really adjust to swimming LCM. I don't think I'm a great wall swimmer (poor turns, pushoffs, etc), but I must be half-decent. Doing 3k LCM feels more like doing a 3500+ SCY.

On the other hand, since I do run, I find LCM better for my runner legs with same-day/shorter rest between workouts. My shoulders get much more of a workout, and I don't get nearly the cramps in my legs and feet that I do with SCY.

Has your weight changed much since you've been bloggging your food intake? It would be interesting to see if simply putting it out there makes much of a difference.
    LC bashes up my shoulders too. That's why I usually use fins. But it is ideal for runners with the fewer walls and some relative rest for the legs. I haven't had any major cramping issues in LC practice either.

I don't have a scale in my house. But I doubt my weight has changed. I wasn't really eating that badly before; I've just eliminated a few things. I also recall Chris commenting somewhere that a healthier diet may cause you body to "stall out" for a couple weeks and then you start to lose weight.