View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Rate this Entry
by , February 15th, 2016 at 02:36 PM (2346 Views)
Vanderbilt Beach, Naples, FL - 8:30am
Sunny, clear blue sky
57F Air, 63F Water
Surf at 2 ft

1.5 Mile Swim
In warmer weather there would be about 16-20 swimmers, but today it was 6 of us. Everyone had wetsuits on except for Heather Roku and I. However, I do not consider myself a cold water swimmer at this point. If I owned a wetsuit I would be very tempted to wear it, but so far I have managed to swim up to 30-40 minutes in low 60s water.

Since there have been multiple high wind storms the last four weeks our normal large "easy to see" orange buoys are not on the water until more consistently calmer weather. So sighting off the smaller white buoys is a challenge even with moderate 1-2 ft waves. Thankfully there are a number of excellent land base sight points that make navigation reasonably accurate, and this case it was the La Playa Resort building about three fourth mile north of VB.

The waves were breaking on to the beach from the NW with about 10 mph wind and low tide occurring in about two hours. At first, when getting started the water feels really cold where my hands and feet are numb, then feels OK after swimming 5-10 minutes. I always enjoy swimming into surf and waves (flat water is nice too). On the way back its fun to surge with the waves coming from behind. When the water is at/or over 70F I will do two loops of this course.

Afterwards on the beach, I have to move quickly to go change because even with the sun warming up the morning, I can start shivering though I have my jacket on. So only minimal socializing, and then its a quick change, into my car for the 35 minute drive home. By the time I am almost home I begin to feel more normal again.

Submit "Sunday, February 14, 2016" to Digg Submit "Sunday, February 14, 2016" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, February 14, 2016" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, February 14, 2016" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I'm so envious you can ocean swim in February. Even with temps in the 60s, that'd be tough though. Sounds like a really ince day though!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I'm so envious you can ocean swim in February. Even with temps in the 60s, that'd be tough though. Sounds like a really ince day though!
    Thanks! It took me several years after relocating to SWFL to discover the SWFL Open Water Swimming group at Vanderbilt Beach. Yes, it's really wonderful to swim in the ocean nearly all year round. I started last fall, so I have yet to experience how hot the water may get in July-August. The water temp was still in the low 70s/high 60s up to early January (we had several delightful New Years swims), but then the water temp dropped at bit with the storms later in January through most of February. There are several lakes nearby, but I have only occasional and limited access to them. More so, I have found that I prefer the ocean with the salt water, waves, surf, beach, etc,.