View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Friday, February 26, 2016

Rate this Entry
by , February 26th, 2016 at 06:44 PM (2653 Views)
LCM @FGCU Aquatic Center
Windy, Sunny, 68F, Water 82F

Warm Up
200 BK/FR by 50

Set 1
2400 FR
/as 12x200 on 3:00 *2:41-2:40

Set 2 SCY
3x300 on 1:00 rest; BR,BK,BF
/300 as 4(25DR|50S)

Set 3 SCY
8x25 underwater SDK

Cool Down
200 as BK/FR by 25

Comments:
The few USMS meets I did these last several years, I swam much slower than I do in workouts. I even had a panic attack at the start of an 800 Meter event. On the other hand I was able to be more relaxed for OWS events. Now I going to try swim meets again, as I feel I can be more calm. The Bumpy Jones LCM Classic in Sarasota, June 11, is on my calendar.

Submit "Friday, February 26, 2016" to Digg Submit "Friday, February 26, 2016" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, February 26, 2016" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, February 26, 2016" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I try to think about meets through the lens of measuring my training progress. When I think about swimming a certain time or preforming in a certain way, I just end up getting very nervous and not being able to get a good response to my training. It's a big change from my high school days when it was all about placing, making a time, or beating someone in the next lane. I like to make new friendships at meets which helps me to keep things in perspective. Your training is coming along really well...here's to an opportunity to test it out in a meet setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I try to think about meets through the lens of measuring my training progress. When I think about swimming a certain time or preforming in a certain way, I just end up getting very nervous and not being able to get a good response to my training. It's a big change from my high school days when it was all about placing, making a time, or beating someone in the next lane. I like to make new friendships at meets which helps me to keep things in perspective. Your training is coming along really well...here's to an opportunity to test it out in a meet setting.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I am gradually learning to have the perspective you are talking about. When starting out again in USMS several years ago after about 20 years break, I trained mostly solo, had few local swimming friends, and went to one swim meet (Florida Senior Games) before entering several events at an USMS-FINA championship meet at Sarasota. So I really jumped way ahead of myself leading to unnecessary pressure. I was unprepared mentally as well as overtrained based on good intentions but lack of personal experience training as a 55+ swimmer. I went back to my lap-swim mode for awhile, but then later on when I started swimming OW at Vanderbilt Beach 8:30am every Sunday, as well as on holidays or school breaks, I made many more friends in OWS, triathletes, runners, and cyclists. Although I still swim solo most weekdays, I have more group swims that provide fun and challenges, and I started running as well. This time when I go the meet in Sarasota, I plan to go with several swimming friends.