View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

0.8 seconds & Nationals Entry

Rate this Entry
by , March 6th, 2016 at 03:45 PM (69 Views)
Today at the (un-aptly named for me) Sprinters Spectacular, I think I had the most fun and most pleasant 1000 I've swum since 1984, when I swam a picture perfect 9:17.75 in my junior year of HS, the swim I credit with catching Eddie Reese's eye (as he was at a meet in Potomac Valley to recruit another guy who was a senior). I didn't have anyone to race, so I planned and executed almost to perfection a stroke count/rate strategy ...
  • 1st 400 - 13SPL
  • Next 300 - 14 SPL
  • Next 200 - 15 SPL
  • Last 100 - ignore stroke count and throw my legs into it.

I don't have any splits yet, but I touched at 10:21.21, which, while not gargantuan, represented a 0.8 second drop from my best time, which was done last year at this meet. The best part about the race was that I felt like I really held my stroke together throughout the entirety, with three key focal points:
  • stroke count
  • consistent breathing pattern
  • keeping my head looking down

I'll be interested to see my splits, which should come out tomorrow or possibly later today in the meet results, and compare them with last year's negative split (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?354...split-decision).

After the 1000, I had a little bit of time to recovery and rest up for the 25 fly, which, like last year (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?354...ot-Sprint-quot), was done from a 'flat start' off the bulkhead, but I managed to just dip under 12 seconds at 11.96 versus last year's 12.45.

There wasn't much more rest before the 200 fly and I really wanted to use this race as a checkpoint on where my 'race endurance' and fly were. No splits yet, but this felt like a well-executed 2:04.10, which is the fastest in-season swim I've gone since 2012. What this race convinced me to do is blow off the 400 IM on the first day of our State Meet in a few weeks (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?383...Calf-amp-Slick) so I can see if I can put up a better time without a long race ahead of it.

The last race I did was the 50 "Anything Goes" in which I donned my old B70 Bodysuit and my monofin. I went from the blocks and pushed this as hard as I could, but it felt slow. I completely pulled an age-grouper move on the finish - as I was desperate for air (I took only one breath before the turn), I was rapidly surfacing and touched on top of the pad. So, my time was not official, but the timer got me at 21.35, which is not quite the 21.1 I went when racing Misty in this back in 2014 (http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?32577-Misty-Meet-Day-2), but better than the 21.90 I went last year.

At this point in the meet, I was still entered in the 100 fly, 50 fly and 25 free, but had little energy left. I considered the rest of my meet to be entering nationals:

Nationals Entry

Thursday, April 28, 2016
#2 1000 Freestyle 10:21.21

Friday, April 29, 2016
#12 50 Backstroke 27.93
#14 100 Freestyle 51.68 - Sixth Event

Saturday, April 30, 2016
#22 500 Freestyle 4:55.30
#28 200 Individual Medley 2:01.99

Sunday, May 1, 2016
#38 400 Individual Medley 4:21.21

Submit "0.8 seconds & Nationals Entry" to Digg Submit "0.8 seconds & Nationals Entry" to del.icio.us Submit "0.8 seconds & Nationals Entry" to StumbleUpon Submit "0.8 seconds & Nationals Entry" to Google

Comments

Great swim. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

looks like we will be racing in 3 events at Nationals(100 free, 500 free and 1000 free). Now all I need to do is get healthy to give you a race.
    Great day of racing Patrick! Good call on planning to swim the 200 fly fresh as well.

Nationals is going to be a good spectating event this year!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    looks like we will be racing in 3 events at Nationals(100 free, 500 free and 1000 free). Now all I need to do is get healthy to give you a race.
    I certainly hope you get healthy. I also hope that, at least for the 500, they seed this by age group as, even if we're not right next to each other, we should still be in the same heat. I doubt I'll make the top heat of the 100 for our age group - my sprinting has never been a strong suit and, particularly of late has not, so I entered my fastest recent time.

Hopefully, in the 1000, our times will line up to be proximate to each other, but it all depends upon who shows up. I really want to get under 10:10 at Nationals and so need some guys to push me there!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great day of racing Patrick! Good call on planning to swim the 200 fly fresh as well.
    Thanks. I think I'm going to try to go "Hosszu" style and see if I can swim fast at both the State Meet and Nationals as I think I can approach my 2:00-high best time in that 200 fly if I swim it fresh and don't go into the meet beaten up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nationals is going to be a good spectating event this year!
    Yeah, I am really looking forward to it. Beyond spectating, I'm stoked that my father & sisters will be there swimming relays with me, and my Mom cheering on. It'll be a great meet and a great friends and family weekend.
    Great swims, Patrick. Seems like you are really hitting your stride.

Pretty sure I'm out for short course Nationals. My training just hasn't been there to make it worthwhile. I'll almost certainly go to long course Nationals in Portland, though.