View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Albatross Meet Report, March 5

Rate this Entry
I journeyed down on Friday night with Jim to the Albatross Meet in MD. It's always a fun meet and it was great to see all my PV buddies. I had one of my best days in the pool, setting 4 world records in the 55-59 age group. Could not be happier!

50 back, 30.12, PR (old WR was 32.62)

Looking at the video that Jim took, I had one of my best backstroke starts ever, getting off the blocks very fast. At this meet, the officials stand right on the 15m line; they're used to Susan and me pushing it. So I decided to take one less kick each length than I did at NE Champs to be safe. As a result, I had a bit of a glide going into the turn -- the only mistake in the race. Well, my second breakout could have been a little smoother too. I did have a solid finish with no glide. At first, I thought I went a 30.42 so was just thrilled when I saw that my official time was actually 30.12.

100 back, 1:10.08 (old WR was 1:12.23)

This race went much better than the one at NE Champs where I swam a 1:11.7 (almost 2 seconds slower). Mostly because I didn't feel like I had a brick on my chest from the cold water, I think. Still, I had only swum this race once since March 2012, so I took it out cautiously. Too cautiously. My splits were 34.5 and 35.5 -- basically an even split with my start. I really came roaring back on the last length. My UWs were much better than at NE Champs as well. Next time I swim this (maybe at Canadian Nationals), I think I can take it out a second faster. Still, I was very happy with the time and the record! Making progress in this event.

50 fly, 29.39 (old WR was 31.13)

This race was fairly well executed too. Great start, hit my walls, good UWs. I just felt like I died a bit the last 5 meters. And I felt, having done virtually no fly the last month, that my turnover was just a tick slow. (Jim says this is false, but that was my internal feeling during the race.) But I was super happy with my time, especially for my third race of the day. It was .5 faster than I went last year at this meet and is only .1 slower than my 50-54 world record. It's my second fastest time ever.

I was pretty beat after this race. I knew I had at the most 20 minutes before my heat of 50 free would go off. Because of the tight turnaround, I've never swum 50 free at this meet. But I decided to give it a whirl ... I thought that, possibly, I might have a shot at the national record of 28.49.

50 free, 27.81 (old WR 27.91)

I had a tight race with two other women, one a fast 25 year old who had just outtouched me in the 50 fly. I had a great start off the blocks, but didn't do as many UWs as I wanted to on the first length. Three of us went into the turn dead even. But I had a great Lochte turn and UW and pulled slightly ahead, just holding them off going into the wall. This time, avoiding a mistake from NE Champs, I only took one breath the second length. I was super surprised and happy with my time, just getting under the world record. I'm pretty sure that I can swim faster than this if I were fresher. (It was only .04 slower than my December time where I swam it as the second event of the day.) It is a rare day indeed when I swim 4 events in one day (in under 4 hours). But I did at NE Champs on day 2 where we ended with a relay, so I thought I should try it here. I'm very glad that I decided to make the attempt! For my efforts, I won a nifty Fastest Woman in the Pool plaque at the social later that night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So very pleased with the meet. Jim swam very well too, doing his best times in his age group. I had some insomnia at the hotel, but slept like a rock last night. My elbow was not too bothersome at the meet. My chiro told me to wear my compression sleeve 24/7 and that seems to have helped. Excedrin and ibuprofen helped too. Now I need to get back to training!

I saw that the info for Canadian Nationals is up. The order of events looks pretty good, but there is no great place for me to do 50 free again ...
http://www.mastersswimmingontario.ca...al-english.pdf

Here are the results from the meet:
http://www.ancientmariners.org/albat.../results16.pdf

Submit "Albatross Meet Report, March 5" to Digg Submit "Albatross Meet Report, March 5" to del.icio.us Submit "Albatross Meet Report, March 5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Albatross Meet Report, March 5" to Google

Updated March 7th, 2016 at 01:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice job! you killed 3 or the 4 records you broken! It is actually a nice pool to race in. The Pittsburgh training obstacles are having no effect on your excellent performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Nice job! you killed 3 or the 4 records you broken! It is actually a nice pool to race in. The Pittsburgh training obstacles are having no effect on your excellent performance.
    Congrats on your nice meet double as well! Good to see you back racing.

I think the training obstacles have had an impact. My first couple years here were pretty sub par, though injuries played a big factor too. But I am finally getting back on track.

Now there is uncertainty about what will happen to Team Pitt in light of Chuck Knoles "retirement."
    Updated March 7th, 2016 at 09:02 PM by The Fortress
    Congrats Leslie. Awesome meet. So happy for you.
    Wow!!
    Impressive swimming. Train hard, do the right things, and SWIM FAST
    That's a fabulous afternoon, congrats. WRs in 3 different strokes, not many folks have done that. And a PR, too; there are clearly more of those to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Congrats Leslie. Awesome meet. So happy for you.
    Thanks Stewart! It was ultra sweet. I will be so happy for you when you recover from that nasty gunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Train hard, do the right things, and SWIM FAST
    Train hard, train smart. That's the ticket. I train hard for a sprinter, I think, but I only do sets that I think have X benefit for X race. Then all you have left is execution. Even with all the practice in the world, that can still be the hardest part!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    That's a fabulous afternoon, congrats. WRs in 3 different strokes, not many folks have done that. And a PR, too; there are clearly more of those to come.
    Thanks Doug. I hope there are more PRs to come! It's nice to have a few solid meets behind me now in my "comeback."

I am anxious to try the 50 free again. I've always had a love-hate relationship with that event (not liking free much). But adopting the Lochte turn has given me a totally different perspective on the event.
    What I want to know is if SwimSwam has contacted you to be the cover model for the next issue of their hard-copy magazine - after Phelps and Lochte, neither of whom I believe have set 4 WRs in a single day, you are the logical choice!

Truly amazing performances across all events. Very happy for you!!

So, are you going to Greensboro and Canadian Nationals?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    What I want to know is if SwimSwam has contacted you to be the cover model for the next issue of their hard-copy magazine - after Phelps and Lochte, neither of whom I believe have set 4 WRs in a single day, you are the logical choice!

Truly amazing performances across all events. Very happy for you!!

So, are you going to Greensboro and Canadian Nationals?
    Thanks Patrick! I am one happy camper.

Right now, I am planning on doing Greensboro and Canadian Nationals. I won't rest too much for Greensboro. I have to check out the Canadian info tho. There is reference to a "shallow" pool, and I need to know how shallow that is.
    Updated March 8th, 2016 at 11:30 AM by The Fortress
    Congratulations! That's fantastic taking down those records pretty handily, especially the 50 fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Congratulations! That's fantastic taking down those records pretty handily, especially the 50 fly!
    Thanks! Have a great week in St. Lucia! Jealous.
    Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by sickfish
    Congratulations!
    Thanks Sickfish! May your comeback continue!