View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

03/18-19/16: 2016 New England SCY Champs at Harvard‏

Rate this Entry
Just back from a fun trip to Boston for the annual SCY champs at Harvard with 820 of my closest friends. I only swam the second and third days of the meet (distance day was last Saturday, and this weekend is the three day "main" meet) and had blast swimming in one of my favorite pools.

Friday: My wife and son joined me and we headed out from home a little before 7am for the three hour drive to Beantown, no issues, parking at the pool. I checked in for my events and then warmed up.

#8 50 Free: 24.19 r:+0.77 [3rd place]
- Masters PB time, but still not quite under 24. Had a good start and only breathed once before the wall, then twice on the way back. Solid swim as I still try to emulate a sprinter.

#10 100 Back: 58.68 [2nd place]
Splits: 29.04, 29.64
- Less then a second off my masters best. My underwaters were not great but I split it well and the turns were good. Satisfied.

[I skipped the 50 fly because it was after the 200 breast and a rather long break]

After warming down we walked over to Harvard Square to get some food. My wife has been so patient in supporting my swims and hanging out in the hot and humid pool area over the years (it's good to thank your own family for this, it's such a blessing for me) and found a great place for lunch as we checked out parts of the city that I have not seen before. We then walked back to get the car and drove to the hotel and relaxed a bit. Later on, my son and I took the T to the Science Museum to check out a show at the planetarium, Laser Floyd. The full set list from the 1979 record, slightly abridged to fit the hour time slot, played as lasers moved about with the full arsenal of the planetarium's star showed above. It was really cool and a fun thing to take in with my son, and we got back to the room a little after 11, so I was able to get a solid night's sleep since I didn't swim the 500. Oh, and I found out that Michigan State lost so my March Madness bracket it busted as I had them going all the way.

Saturday: I ate a light breakfast at the hotel and then we caught a shuttle to Harvard Square, where the family went off exploring and I headed to the pool to warm up. I skipped swimming during the 15 minute sprint period after the first distance event of the day and opted to stretch and relax in the stand.

#20 50 Back: 27.39 [3rd place]
- Another Masters best. I really worked my underwaters but my wife said I should have come up sooner on the second lap as I lost some ground.

#22 100 IM: 1:00.53 r:+0.74 [3rd place]
Splits: 26.90, 33.63
- Right there is a lifetime best! I talked to my buddy Trent as we ended up next to each other and I told him that I would be taking this out fast due to my poor breaststroke. I had another good start and worked the underwaters on the first 50, coming in really fast. My back to breast turn was a little cramped, but I worked the streamline and then tried my best to increase my turnover on the breast as I moved the kick up in the cycle. It apparently worked as the family said that I held my ground instead of the usual field catching up. I then motored to the wall - a full two second time drop and ever so close to my lofty goal of getting this event under a minute!

#24 200 Fly: 2:17.94 r:+0.77 [1st place]
Splits: 30.49, 34.76, 38.24, 34.45
I'll give the swim of the meet, as I achieved another lifetime best with a five second drop! Last swim of the meet for me and I felt good so instead of DPS fly for 175 yds before a 25 sprint, I changed it up a little. I swam regular fly the first length, then 125 of DPS fly before switching back to full fly on the last 50. Looking at the splits I was a little too fast on the second and too timid on the third 50s, but judging by the 30+ minutes it took for my hearrate to come back down after the swim I am ok with that! I was looking to come in around the 2:20, and was able to take gold for my age group.

All in all another great meet at a pool that I enjoy competing in and a fun couple of days in the city with the family. The first day I was not sure if I hit my taper but today demonstrated to me that it was on target. I was also able to catch up with friends from past meets (my buddies with Granite State, Jonathan,Trent, Christian, Kevin, and Lauren) and also meet new folks from the forums and in the pool, one of the things that really makes this sport so rewarding for me. I logged 500yds racing + 4950yds with warmups/downs and we made it home safely...well worth the extra days I worked in order to switch weekends and make it down to Harvard.

Submit "03/18-19/16: 2016 New England SCY Champs at Harvard‏" to Digg Submit "03/18-19/16: 2016 New England SCY Champs at Harvard‏" to del.icio.us Submit "03/18-19/16: 2016 New England SCY Champs at Harvard‏" to StumbleUpon Submit "03/18-19/16: 2016 New England SCY Champs at Harvard‏" to Google

Updated March 19th, 2016 at 10:13 PM by rxleakem

Tags: harvard, nem
Categories
Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I only ever swam in that cool pool for one meet, way back in the early 80s. Thanks for the photo reminder as it brought back some good memories.

It looks like you had an awesome weekend of racing, esp. that lifetime best in the 100 IM. Judging by the way you swam and split your 200 fly, I think you've got an easily sub 2:15 race if you can swim that earlier in a meet.
    Nice bunch of swims, Mike - congrats! Your hard work in practice time sure payed off in those personal and Master's best times. Thanks for spreading the inspiration!
    Way to go Mike!
    Thanks guys! I was really pleased with the meet and the chance to get back to a fun pool for some racing. It really helps me to have a goal to train for, and I will keep the 2fly on the list
    nice going Mike! You mean my best 200 fly time so far this year! Again, great job.
    Great swims Mike. Congratulations on all those best times.
    Thanks guys. I haven't been able to do the "regular" events at this meet in a few years, so it was great to settle in for a couple of days and put forth some great efforts.