View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Survived No Float 200 LC, Sunday, June 14

Rate this Entry
200 Back LC, 2:47

Well, I survived my first ever 200 LC. And it was a no float 200 back, as B70s are barred at USA-S meets. I guess I'm glad I did it, but I don't care to repeat the experience! It's just waaaay too far unless I start training 5Ks like Ande. I was sort of testing out the event to see if I could/should swim it at Nats. No, I'll opt to get a 50 back split on my 200 at Indy during the first day's events. I will happily embrace my weenie sprinter nature.

Anyway, went a 2:47, which was about half a second slower than my converted time from yards. (I don't always believe converted times are accurate for us geezers anyway.) No idea on my splits, as they only post final times. Think they will probably be pretty dodgy. I tried to swim long and easy speed for about 150, but I still had nothing left the last length -- especially judging by the USA swimmer in the adjacent lane who made up almost a body length on the last length to touch with me. But, frankly, I'll still take the time, as I had a hard exhausting day on Saturday (officiating in the heat at a summer league meet, dance recitals, etc.) and had contemplating not swimming at all today.

And BTW, can these kids learn to do backstroke starts?! I hate being a body length ahead at 15 meters and have them slowly creep up! I also played it safe on the start and took 12 or 13 SDKs, as there was an official sitting in a chair right at the 15 meter mark.

Probably did about 2000+ meters with the warm up and warm down. I didn't even attempt to warm up in the competition pool, as it's such a mosh pit of kids. I got there early and warmed up in the rec pool.

Now, off to the summer pool to vegetate!

Submit "Survived No Float 200 LC, Sunday, June 14" to Digg Submit "Survived No Float 200 LC, Sunday, June 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Survived No Float 200 LC, Sunday, June 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Survived No Float 200 LC, Sunday, June 14" to Google

Comments

That's a tough race. Especially for someone who focuses on sprinting. Great job.

It's always so admirable to see adult athletes at the USA meets. Your kid's team mates must think she's got a way cool mom.
    Good job. It takes lots of practice to figure out how to swim this race, especially LCM.

I agree about converted times -- I assume you used the Swimming World time conversion?

You don't need to swim 5Ks and 10Ks to train for it, in fact I don't even think that is the best way to do it.
    Good job. I agree with Chris on the training. I knew a girl that could do a 2:07 in the 200 Yard back once a year with maybe 10K of training during a three week period(and that was a good 3-week period). You could have just be exhausted from Saturday's activities.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    It's always so admirable to see adult athletes at the USA meets. Your kid's team mates must think she's got a way cool mom.
    I think the adults like it as much as the kids. I always have the coaches and officials wishing me luck and telling me to "show the kids" what us geezers can do.

My kid's team didn't swim in this particular meet, but many of her friends from other teams were there. Actually had a parent from my summer swim league team timing in my lane!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson
    Good job. It takes lots of practice to figure out how to swim this race, especially LCM.

I agree about converted times -- I assume you used the Swimming World time conversion?

You don't need to swim 5Ks and 10Ks to train for it, in fact I don't even think that is the best way to do it.
    Yes, having now swum a few 200s, I think these take some real practice -- both at practice and in meets. I did feel pretty adrift and never sure how much was in the tank at any given moment in the race.

I was just joking about the 5Ks. What I need is more hard short rest intervals to swim these events. Honestly, though, that's the very kind of work I find the most difficult to do on my own. I think a team is required for it. It's easier to train for speed on my own (though that can be difficult too!), and that's where my real expertise lies anyway. Still think it's good to go out of your comfort zone from time to time.

I did use the Swimming World Converter.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Good job. I agree with Chris on the training. I knew a girl that could do a 2:07 in the 200 Yard back once a year with maybe 10K of training during a three week period(and that was a good 3-week period). You could have just be exhausted from Saturday's activities.
    Operative word: girl. lol
    Congratulations on swimming the 200 BK in a USA S meet (or any meet really!) Sounds like your walls were awesome! 200s get me. As do the kiddos. Blah!
    Quote Originally Posted by CreamPuff
    Congratulations on swimming the 200 BK in a USA S meet (or any meet really!) Sounds like your walls were awesome! 200s get me. As do the kiddos. Blah!
    Thank you, Puff. Walls good, pacing questionable. Felt adrift -- LC is unforgiving. Still good to step up and try new things once in awhile.

I hope your 11.5 K OW swim went well. That's much harder than a mere 200!
    Updated June 15th, 2009 at 06:54 PM by The Fortress
    you took a lot of SDKs,
    I'd be scared to take that many,
    the 5k & 10 didn't prepare me for the 200 bk,
    wish I could worn my b70 & done more backstroke training
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    you took a lot of SDKs,
    I'd be scared to take that many,
    the 5k & 10 didn't prepare me for the 200 bk,
    wish I could worn my b70 & done more backstroke training
    The start seemed fine. It could have taken more out of me than I thought, I guess. I only took 5 or so on the last turn.

Wish I could have worn my B70 too!