View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Nationals & Monday workout

Rate this Entry
We made it home from nationals safe and sound -- after a bit of a harrowing drive in the midst of hail and a tornado watch. The best part of nationals for me was hanging out with great swim friends and my RAM team. And I love the spectating at nationals -- got to see so many great races and was really happy for my friends and fellow bloggers that kicked ass. My coach and friend Bill White, who hadn't competed in SCY since 2002, swam out of his mind. Hopefully, we can persuade him to come to more USMS meets! And my Jimby was very happy to grab a well paced win in the 500 free. Of course, it was great hanging out with Stewart and Mark and I finally got to meet Mr. Unruh (who also swam out of his mind).

For various reasons, this was an extremely challenging meet for me. I had felt pretty good a couple days before leaving. But whatever was blooming in NC did not agree with me and I had a bad allergy/asthma flare starting Friday afternoon. Lot of hacking and not enough oxygen to power the SDKs. Hindsight is 20/20 of course. But I was probably pushing the envelope to have competed in the meet. And so it was a mixed bag.

Friday:

50 back, 1st, 27.7

I did two starts with the backstroke ledge in warm up, and they seemed fine. But at race time, I fumbled around with the ledge and couldn't seem to get it in the right place. It ended up being a little lower than I would have liked. Then the starter held us for a long time and my arms were shaking. I was a little deep on the start, but it was solid. But then I had a glide into the turn. I was just happy to get the win. And anytime you beat the speedy Susan Williams that is saying something.

Mixed 200 free relay (can't remember our time), 24.7 split

I didn't execute this very well either. I jammed the turn and went off the wall way too deep. I had trouble breathing after the race and it seemed to precipitate a 5-6 hour coughing spree.

Saturday:

Started off the day by tearing a hole in a new tech suit that I had only worn once at the Albatross meet ... Grr!

50 breast, 32.8 DQ

More bad execution here. My start was not very good and my heels broke the surface on my breakout. Off the turn on my pulldown, I could feel my feet move. I knew I was at risk for a DQ and sure enough it was enough undulation to draw the call. Obviously, I need to be hyper vigilant about this (and I was in my 100 breast).

50 free, 4th, 25.4

I can't say that I was too excited to swim this race and was worried about air/breathing. This time, I had a great start but instead of jamming the turn, I only got my toes on the wall. So my Lochte turn, which is usually an asset, was a liability. This is a pretty mediocre time for me; I went faster at the Sprint Classic. No idea why I had such trouble with my freestyle turns this meet.

Sunday:

50 fly, scratch

I didn't feel like I had the lungs to SDK well, so opted to scratch and rest on my 26.0 from a month ago. Was happy for Susan who crushed the field in my absence.

100 breast, 1st, 1:13.7

I really wanted to end nationals on a positive note and, hey, at least you get to breathe in breaststroke. I felt like I had very good walls and a good 4th 25. It was a dogfight to the finish. It is a very rare occasion indeed when this drop dead sprinter comes from behind to win a 100. So I was happy with the result, which is only .3 off my PR from a few years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So this was definitely not the meet I had hoped for. But so goes life. Hopefully, my lungs/ears/sinuses will be happier heading into Canadian Nationals. I was in the mood for a workout today and so headed to Sewy and did the following:

Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewy

Warm up:

600 various
100 scull
8 x 25 shooters
100 EZ

Main sets:

20 x 25 @ 100 pace @ :45
-- done as 5 x 4 x 25 IM order
250 EZ

2 rounds:
10 x 25 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ :45
150 EZ

20 x 25 breast @ 100 pace @ :45
250 EZ

10 x 25 dolphin kick @ 100 pace @ :45
150 EZ

Total: 3700

Submit "Nationals & Monday workout" to Digg Submit "Nationals & Monday workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Nationals & Monday workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Nationals & Monday workout" to Google

Updated May 2nd, 2016 at 05:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

I watched the 50 back you swam, it was awesome!

Just curious, do you peak forward prior to the fr turn or do you rely solely on the bottom mark?
    Updated May 2nd, 2016 at 05:32 PM by __steve__
    Great meet, Leslie. Excellent blog, too, though you judge yourself (as all the great ones do!) too harshly. Good luck at Canadian Nationals!
    Great job, Fort! I was able to watch some video of your races - that 100 breast was a beauty. Happy that you made it and were able to spend time with friends.
    Nice swims Leslie. Hopefully the allergies and asthma let up soon and before heading north. I've been afraid to try a dolphin kick in br pull out, because i would easily forget and do more than one. Great 100 br, how did you split it? 50 frees were great too.
    Glad I was able to finally see you and catch up on Sunday - though I had seen many of your swims, it was more fun to talk with you. I'm sorry that the weekend didn't turn out as well as you would've liked; hopefully, your lungs will be free and clear up in the Great White North.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I watched the 50 back you swam, it was awesome!

Just curious, do you peak forward prior to the fr turn or do you rely solely on the bottom mark?
    Thanks Steve. I always look. But the markings at GAC were different than usual -- just the straight line instead of a T. Maybe that's what gave us fits on our turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Great meet, Leslie. Excellent blog, too, though you judge yourself (as all the great ones do!) too harshly. Good luck at Canadian Nationals!
    Thanks son. Eh, I've done better times on less rest. I was just a bit discombobulated all weekend. I think it's hard to maintain mental focus if you're not feeling that well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great job, Fort! I was able to watch some video of your races - that 100 breast was a beauty. Happy that you made it and were able to spend time with friends.
    Thanks Mike! Yes, it was a close race and nice to come out on top. And it's always good to see swim friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Nice swims Leslie. Hopefully the allergies and asthma let up soon and before heading north. I've been afraid to try a dolphin kick in br pull out, because i would easily forget and do more than one. Great 100 br, how did you split it? 50 frees were great too.
    I hope they let up soon too. It's like having a freaking disability ...

It's very easy to double dolphin in breaststroke. And breaststroke has the most DQs of any stroke. I like to do the dolphin kick while in a streamline before pulling down bc it's faster. However, it is difficult to pull down hard and not undulate somewhat. You have to stay super tight, and it's easy to screw up. I know quite a few people who just do the dolphin kick during the pulldown bc, even if slower, it negates the risk of undulation later.

My splits on the 100 breast were 34.7 and 39.0, so about 4 seconds apart. That's decent splitting for a race involving open turns, for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Glad I was able to finally see you and catch up on Sunday - though I had seen many of your swims, it was more fun to talk with you. I'm sorry that the weekend didn't turn out as well as you would've liked; hopefully, your lungs will be free and clear up in the Great White North.
    I felt like a midget standing between you and Stewart! Congrats again on the great 1000 and 400 IM. The family reunion sounded really lovely too.
    Leslie, you swam very well considering the conditions you were up against. I'm happy you enjoyed the comradery of your swimming friends and in the end isn't that is why we keep doing this? You are a BAD ASS so don't let the TURKEYS get you down!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunaFish
    Leslie, you swam very well considering the conditions you were up against. I'm happy you enjoyed the comradery of your swimming friends and in the end isn't that is why we keep doing this? You are a BAD ASS so don't let the TURKEYS get you down!!!!!
    From one bad ass to another! Hope to see you at a meet this summer, my friend. Congrats on your fast swims.

Exceedingly Bizarro wild turkeys are contra-indicated for swim meet fun.