View RSS Feed

joel schmaltz

Greensboro Recap

Rate this Entry
Once again, we had a great time in Greensboro. I absolutely love that facility and being within a three hour drive from my house is a major plus. My training has been quite sporadic the last few years so I was curious to see what I could do.

Thursday- Arrived around 3 and made it through the check in process quickly. Jumped in the pool and got in about 1000 yards. Mixed in a few starts and tried out the backstroke "wedge". I liked them but you need to be a little coordinated to use them.

Friday- My only event was the mixed FR and went a 27.16 which I was very happy about. My fastest 50 fr is a 27.52 back in 2012. Since then I have been stuck in the mid 28's. Successful start to my meet.

Sat- 200 IM seed time 2:39.66, went 2:36.22 (-3.34)
Very pleased and the fastest I have been in awhile. The clear difference in this race was me having a much better front half. It took me forever to get my heart rate back down.

Mixed MR, Swam backstroke and opted not to use the wedge. I slipped to the left off the start and tried my best to recover. Went 34.46. Not a good swim at all and I felt like I let my team down. They still talk to me though.

Sun- 400 IM seed time 5:44.72, went 5:44.37 (-.40) Happy but was expecting more. I shouldn't complain because it is still faster than I have been in some time. The goal was to relax through the fly and then build each hundred. Once again my front have was great and I had an average back half. I hit the wall at the 200 mark and told myself "You're half way done". After my breaststroke breakout I realized my legs were shot. I then told myself "You're ONLY half way done" OUCH!!

200 Back seed time 2:37.27, went 2:37.27 (-.16) Well, I was really pumped for this one but I think I was just tired. Even with a slow start and no legs the first 150 went really well and then my mind, body and soul suffered through the last 50. No complaints.

Overall, I had a nice meet and a even better time with my teammates. I was able to see some old friends and meet some new ones. Bravo to everyone that took part in putting this thing together. This is by far one my favorite meet venue that I have been to. Time to train for the next one. Hopefully I can make it back to the USA Masters Games in July.

Submit "Greensboro Recap" to Digg Submit "Greensboro Recap" to del.icio.us Submit "Greensboro Recap" to StumbleUpon Submit "Greensboro Recap" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like a great experience. That 400 IM on Sunday morning was rough; I much prefer it on the Friday order of events, but it sounds like you swam it strong ... my lungs were shot after the backstroke on that, so, while my legs worked, I was screaming for air on every pushoff, so I share your pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Sounds like a great experience. That 400 IM on Sunday morning was rough; I much prefer it on the Friday order of events, but it sounds like you swam it strong ... my lungs were shot after the backstroke on that, so, while my legs worked, I was screaming for air on every pushoff, so I share your pain!
    Thank you Patrick! I would have preferred it to be Friday am as well. If you ever figure out a way to make that race not hurt please fill us all in. I'm definitely not a 4IMer but I do like that race. Mostly because I have much I can improve on.

Congrats on all of your swims and how great is it to have your family there with you. Well done sir.
    Great meet, Joel! I had fun cheering you on through social media and watching the youtube.
    Congrats! Sounds like a great weekend. I loved your comment "I felt like I let my team down. They still talk to me though." Too funny and so true.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great meet, Joel! I had fun cheering you on through social media and watching the youtube.
    Thank you! Hopefully we can run into each other sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Congrats! Sounds like a great weekend. I loved your comment "I felt like I let my team down. They still talk to me though." Too funny and so true.
    Lol, thanks Fort! It was a great weekend. Congrats on all your swims and I was glad to finally got to see that amazing SDK in person.