View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

CN -- Let it go!

Rate this Entry
This was not the meet of my dreams (said in dramatic understatement). Before leaving, I had some GI issues from the antibiotics that I was on for the sinus infection. But I felt fine during the drive up to Toronto. Unfortunately, then I was the unlucky recipient of Lil Fort's stomach virus Friday night. It seems to be going around here. So I was not exactly my usual self. CN ended up being basically a one day meet.

100 breast, 1:24.3, 1st

All was well the first 50m, out in 38.7. But I was tired at the start of the second 50, so knew I was in trouble. Unlike my 100 breast at USMS nationals, I had a spectacular collapse, coming back in :45. Stroke fell apart, and I felt like I was going backwards the last 25. Considering that I swam a 1:22.0 last November on 3 days rest, this is pretty darn awful and close to a personal worst. As a result of this, I scratched the 100 IM. I just did not have the energy to get through that event, which I think is much harder than the 100 breast. I did consider leaving the meet at this point, but I was already there and didn't want to be a baby.

50 free, 28.3, 1st

This is a solid time considering. I actually thought I'd be at least .5 slower. It just lacked punch. And I can't say I was mentally all there. For 50s, you have to be ready to rip.

50 breast, 37.6, 1st, NR

I did not feel well on Sunday am, but I decided to just swim this event and then leave. (I had zero desire to swim the 100 back.) From the video that Mark took, I had a good start and good first 25 until I misjudged the turn (big glide into fina wall). Then I had another major fade the second 25. The time is well off my PR but fast enough to get under the national record of 38.3. So that was a silver lining from the meet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched Mark swim a great 50 breast (all his event swere awesome!) and then felt awfully sick to my stomach. I had to rest awhile before I could leave. And it was a long (7.5 hour) drive home with traffic at a standstill on Queen Elizabeth Way.

So a big waste of a taper and all that 100 training ... But so goes life sometimes. Onward and forward! I slept for 11 hours last night and still feel exhausted. I am going to avoid the pool for a couple days. I think I've inflicted enough torture on the poor body for while.

Submit "CN -- Let it go!" to Digg Submit "CN -- Let it go!" to del.icio.us Submit "CN -- Let it go!" to StumbleUpon Submit "CN -- Let it go!" to Google

Updated May 24th, 2016 at 11:43 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Fort, you were such a competitor to push through. Onward and forward for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Fort, you were such a competitor to push through. Onward and forward for sure.
    Couldn't have done it without you! Thx for the support and camaraderie!
    You both did terrific.

with all the adversity you did amazingly well Fort.

RAM is very lucky to have both of you on our team. I really wish I could have made the meet. Congratulations guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You both did terrific.

with all the adversity you did amazingly well Fort.

RAM is very lucky to have both of you on our team. I really wish I could have made the meet. Congratulations guys.
    Thanks Stewart. I've had quite enough of character building at this point. In retrospect, I probably pushed my body too much during the last couple months. Knowing when to ease up doesn't seem to be our forte.

It was a very well run meet at a great facility.
    Hope you feel better Leslie...For me I felt out of sorts at Nationals...All that training and didn't rip all the time I wanted...was really disappointed.....Any how a few corrections and back to training..which I love...You continue to be so inspiring...human...real and amazing....so I continue to train and dream thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sglines
    Hope you feel better Leslie...For me I felt out of sorts at Nationals...All that training and didn't rip all the time I wanted...was really disappointed.....Any how a few corrections and back to training..which I love...You continue to be so inspiring...human...real and amazing....so I continue to train and dream thank you!!
    Never stop dreaming!

We are all human. Sometimes those human frailties, errors, misjudgments get in the way of our goals. Sometimes repeatedly. All we can do is be pissed/disappointed/upset for a short time and then move on. Resilience is the key to life, and success in the end. And training is really what keeps us healthy anyway -- so it's good that you love it!