Tuesday: swim/SCM/Solo @ Council Bluff Y

500 various
4 X (25 scull + 25 free w/paddles)
4 X 25 shooters
50 EZ

8 X 25 burst + cruise @ :50-1:00
100 EZ

4 X
50 fly @ 100 pace @ 1:00 (no kicks off wall)
50 EZ @ 2:00
100 EZ at end

4 X
50 back @ 100 pace @ 1:00 (no kicks off wall)
50 EZ @ 1:30-2:00
100 EZ at end

4 X
50 breast @ 100 pace @ 1:00 (no pullout off wall)
50 EZ @ 2:00
100 EZ at end

4 X 50 free @ 200 pace @ 1:10
100 EZ

10 x 25 kick @ :30
Odds = fast, evens = EZ
150 EZ

Total: 3350 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Council Bluffs pool is a fairly crappy pool. I can live with that in the short term. But the temperature feels like 85-86 and I was roasting. Had to take cold showers afterward.

Been having fun at the trials. The night sessions are incredibly exciting with cool special effects. Today's prelims were a tad dull. The best prelim racing thus far has been in the men's 100 breast. My off the top thoughts from watching:

1. Swimmers who apparently did partial tapers aren't doing that well. This seems to include Franklin. Her starts are always bad, but her first 25 of the 100 back last night seemed sub elite. Why she thought she could do a partial taper after her fairly poor showing last year is beyond me. I wonder if the transition to being a pro swimmer, with all the attendant commitments, was too taxing?

2. The men's 100 breast was impressive. Michael Andrew really showed up. I thought it was odd that Licon scratched the 400 IM for the 100 breast.

3. Murphy and Plummer looked crazy fast in the 100 back semi-final and it appeared that Murphy shut it down a little at the end.

4. Coughlin does not look great. Too bad after her fine year in 2015. Her starts didn't look as dominant as usual either.

5. It will be a dog fight tonight in the men's 200 free. I hope we have more guys under 1:47 though.

6. Beisel was spotted in medical today and the word is that she fractured her finger in warm up. Hope she can at least swim the 200 back bc her backstroke looked amazing in the 400 IM.

7. Dirado, Margalis, Worrell and Smith = amazing.

8. Lochte ... I'm not sure training with SwimMac was great for the 400 IM. And the effort from trying to contest it may tire him for his other events. He should make the team in the 200 free based on recent times, but I have a bad feeling about it. His walls are like a magic trick.

9. I'm really hoping Conger pulls off his double tonight. I'd love to see him on the team.

10. I am somewhat hopeful that Clark Smith is not a total head case.

Swim nerd heaven!

Submit "Mon-Tues at OT" to Digg Submit "Mon-Tues at OT" to del.icio.us Submit "Mon-Tues at OT" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mon-Tues at OT" to Google

Updated June 30th, 2016 at 12:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was satisfied with the final of the men's 100 back! Someone might have done a partial taper in that heat. Only Phelps can get away with a partial taper at Olympic Trials or Lochte four years ago. Glad you found a place to swim during trials. Great Commentary with some swimming dish.
    Swim nerd heaven!
    and, for me, swim nerd jealousy! I have managed to contort my professional and personal life to be able to watch finals each night so far on the app (because they tape-delay on TV) and have loved it, but, someday, I want to be there. And, as much as I enjoyed Omaha when we got to swim Nationals there in '12, I'm hoping some city a bit more interesting outside of the pool gets to host in '20!
    1. Swimmers who apparently did partial tapers aren't doing that well. This seems to include Franklin. Her starts are always bad, but her first 25 of the 100 back last night seemed sub elite. Why she thought she could do a partial taper after her fairly poor showing last year is beyond me. I wonder if the transition to being a pro swimmer, with all the attendant commitments, was too taxing?
    her underwaters were horrible. Rowdy was saying it's her back trouble but I think you're right. I don't think she was performing nearly well enough this season to really have expected any different result. Very disappointing for me but not nearly as disappointed as almost every TV sponsor out there who will now have to reshoot commercials.

Lochte ... I'm not sure training with SwimMac was great for the 400 IM. And the effort from trying to contest it may tire him for his other events. He should make the team in the 200 free based on recent times, but I have a bad feeling about it. His walls are like a magic trick.
    Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think he's going to make it in the 200IM either. His walls are a work of art. Too bad the Olympics are SCM

Swim nerd heaven!
    It sure is and I am so jealous
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I was satisfied with the final of the men's 100 back! Someone might have done a partial taper in that heat. Only Phelps can get away with a partial taper at Olympic Trials or Lochte four years ago. Glad you found a place to swim during trials. Great Commentary with some swimming dish.
    I was happy to see the new guard move in as well. Jacob Pebley dropped a ton of time. I like him for the #2 spot in the 200 back.

The Adams temporary DQ made prelims exciting. As well as the men's 200 breast.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    and, for me, swim nerd jealousy! I have managed to contort my professional and personal life to be able to watch finals each night so far on the app (because they tape-delay on TV) and have loved it, but, someday, I want to be there. And, as much as I enjoyed Omaha when we got to swim Nationals there in '12, I'm hoping some city a bit more interesting outside of the pool gets to host in '20!
    Yeah there is really nothing to do in Omaha. Quite dull. But I can't imagine the traffic if they held trials in a real city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    her underwaters were horrible. Rowdy was saying it's her back trouble but I think you're right. I don't think she was performing nearly well enough this season to really have expected any different result. Very disappointing for me but not nearly as disappointed as almost every TV sponsor out there who will now have to reshoot commercials.

Based on what I've seen so far, I don't think he's going to make it in the 200IM either. His walls are a work of art. Too bad the Olympics are SCM

It sure is and I am so jealous
    Franklin is just in decline. Not everyone can stay at superstar status for years. If she keeps swimming after trials, she has got to do something different training wise.

I was a bit sad about Coughlin. She had a great year last year and went in as the #1 seed. Then swam like crap.

I'm still hoping for Lochte in the 200 IM. He doesn't look fully tapered either tho, going in season times.
    In some cases it seems like a few or the older swimmers and their coaches figured out what was really possible and went after it, accounting for age, recovery, competition. In other cases it seems like they did not figure it out. We hear/talk about a team being out coached in other sports and maybe we're seeing that in swimming too.

I almost bought tix to Omaha when they first went on sale and had them up on my computer, but paused and decided I would wait to see if trials in 2020 might be at a more interesting location or at least close to something.

The swimming has been really interesting and I'm sorry I didn't go. Try to sneak into the OT pool or something - that might liven things up.
    I think some of the older swimmers -- Coughlin, Grevers, Lochte, etc -- aren't rested enuf. It's probably a scary thing to rest as much as they should. Sort of uncharted coaching territory with the advent of the older pro swimmers.